Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2013, 08:28 AM   #1

Sunseeker battery box, ventilated?

I was at the dealer looking at some things on the Sunseekers prior to the delivery of ours. Is the battery box (under the step) ventilated? I didn't open it, but I crawled underneath and didn't see any ventilation.
Snowman9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:21 AM   #2

My unit has sealed batteries (Vent regulated lead acid -VRLA) from the factory. One of the battery hold down straps came loose and I had to pull the batteries to get strap cleated back in the bottom of the battery box. I didn't see any openings in the storage box. In fact I noticed Forest River took great effort to seal any holes. I assume this is to keep water/moisture and bugs out. It's not completely air tight but I don't think you should use flooded lead acid batteries in these storage boxes.

Bobby
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:47 AM   #3

My 2300 has an opening on the backside of the battery box. I use it to attach the battery tender to keep the batteries charged. And, yes, I did find a mud daubers nest inside last time I opened the box to check the battery fluid level
PhilG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:25 PM   #4

My 3120 battery box is ventilated on the rear side where the positive cable goes thru. I also ran my battery tender lead thru the hole. Unless you have Optima style batteries I think they all should be in vented compartments.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATVer View Post
My 3120 battery box is ventilated on the rear side where the positive cable goes thru. I also ran my battery tender lead thru the hole. Unless you have Optima style batteries I think they all should be in vented compartments.
My coach is a 2014 and had entry ports for the battery cables but Forest River filled/sealed the openings with the urethane foam. I don't consider these "vents" although if battery gases did build-up it could vent through these ports if they aren't sealed too tight.

Optima is a brand name but is synonymous to dry cell or absorbed glass mat battery and would be am excellent application as a deep cycle battery.

Both vrla and glass mat batteries are suitable for enclosed battery wells.

Also I need to point out my wording error in my previous post; I stated "vent regulated lead acid", it was supposed to be "valve regulated lead acid".

I did a post months ago on on my battery well fix: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...xes-44077.html
Old 12-01-2013, 06:25 PM   #6

bgilly,

What exact battery did yours come with? I don't know of any VRLA that are not AGM's. Maybe gel cells I suppose. I'm pretty sure if they have liquid electrolyte, even if they are called maintenance free, they should not be in an unvented box.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:36 PM   #7
Average Joe

My 2014 2450s has a hole in the back of the box.

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman9000 View Post
bgilly,

What exact battery did yours come with? I don't know of any VRLA that are not AGM's. Maybe gel cells I suppose. I'm pretty sure if they have liquid electrolyte, even if they are called maintenance free, they should not be in an unvented box.
I don't recall the name exactly - Exide I think: http://cdn.forestriverforums.com/for...1&d=1374187129

VRLA is still a lead acid battery (the LA in VRLA) but the venting is "regulated". These are not sealed batteries but don't behave the same way as Flooded Lead Acid batteries. Some manufacturers refer to the line of VRLA as absorbed glass mat.

This may help detail the differences: Comparing Flooded Batteries to VRLA Batteries

Bobby
Old 12-02-2013, 11:12 AM   #9

Bobby,

The Trojan article says what I was saying: A VRLA is either AGM or gel. Not liquid electrolyte. I'll be tickled pink if FR is providing those. But I'm betting they are providing some sort of "maintenance free" liquid electrolyte battery. Which should be in a vented box, IMO.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman9000 View Post
Bobby,

The Trojan article says what I was saying: A VRLA is either AGM or gel. Not liquid electrolyte. I'll be tickled pink if FR is providing those. But I'm betting they are providing some sort of "maintenance free" liquid electrolyte battery. Which should be in a vented box, IMO.
Ok, I agree on the technicality - FR isn't providing gel or AGM unless you buy them as an ordered unit.
The ones in my coach are maintenance free (not AGM or gel or sealed). As in the article - the gasses need to vent when under pressure. It doesn't vent in the same way as FLA batteries so battery box vent is not as crucial.
As for whether the battery that FR provides ("maintenance free") needs venting - they took great measures to seal the battery box in my unit including a bulb seal under the step access. Mine isn't drum tight but it's not open air vented.

Bobby
Old 12-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #11

My 2012 2650 battery box is also vented. I have to replace the batteries due to the dealer not turning the batt disconnect off while it sat for a week with the interior lights on. Anyway, my question: when I put AGM batteries in my larger DP I had to change the settings on my charge controller to the AGM setting. I was thinking of putting them in my current unit but the Converter / Charger doesn't seem to have any special AGM charge settings. Can I still use AGM batteries?
TomG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:34 PM   #12

Tom,

Yes, you can use the AGMs. A lot of misinformation on the subject is due to people confusing AGMs and Gel Cells. Gel cells require different charging profiles.

In years past, some AGMs required different charging profiles too. But now they are plug and play. Especially with your stock converter and undersized cabling, which I bet you'd find rarely delivers more than 14.2v anyway. If you install solar, the better solar charge controllers are more aggressive, and in that case you'll want to make sure the controller offers a profile selection that will not over-volt your AGM.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:07 PM   #13

I have a 2013 3010DS and the battery under the step is a standard lead acid battery.
kswing60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, sunseeker, vent