Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2014, 07:17 PM   #1

Cool Sunseeker drivers side tail/top/turn light anomaly

Got a good one for you all. This last weekend we took the 2013 2860 out for a weekend trip. When we checked out of the RV storage yard I noticed we had no tail, brake, or turn lights on the drivers side. Also the red clearance marker was not on when the tail lights were turned on. Sound like a wiring problem maybe..correct. Well there were 2 separate causes. The marker light had a 194?? bulb that would not stay seated in the socket. The problem was the bulb had a glass tip that was too long. I tried to shorten it but busted it.
The second problem I figured was a blown fuse based on the GM users manual. If I read it correctly only 1 fuse covered these lights. Well the fuse was ok. Then I really got worried thinking it WAS a wiring problem. Last resort was to remove the lens and check the bulbs. Well 1 bulb was totally busted and the other had a crack and was black inside. I checked the passenger side lights and ok. I then took one of the 2057 bulbs from the passenger side and used on the drivers side brake light figuring the brake lights were the most important to have working.
I have no idea how the 2 bulbs got busted unless someone did a swapperoonie on me.
Anyone ever had this happen??
Wildkats66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:23 PM   #2

Water leaking into the light will make a hot bulb explode. Make sure there is not water leaking in. Some have had to put a little silicone sealant on the top of the lens to keep it from leaking.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:41 PM   #3

Good thought...I will take another look and see if I can see any water stains etc.
Wildkats66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:50 AM   #4

yep, I had three blown bulbs before the silicone. None since.

Phelpo
phelpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:06 AM   #5

I recently had no rear lights at all. Never thinking it could be the bulbs I spent an hour at the local RV service center and as a last resort they pulled one of the lenses off...........both bulbs were black and had exploded. Same with the other side. Now I carry several spare bulbs. Service tech said he had never seen all 4 bulbs explode like that. I sealed the lenses with a vaseline coating on the edges. No leaking problem since.
I wish I could find LED bulbs but reading tells me that the flasher will have to be replaced because of the low amps of the bulbs. Don't know how easy that would be. Anyone heard of that?
TomG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:49 AM   #6
2012 Solera

As I noted on a previous Forester thread, our 2012 Solera uses Bargman 84 LED tail lights. Not sure if Forest River also uses Bargman 84 lights on the Sunseekers/Foresters. If so, Bargman offers an LED retrofit: http://www.amazon.com/Bargman-47-84-...rds=bargman+84
The Bargman LEDs on my vehicle are sealed capsules - should be no water incursion problems. Hopefully Bargman has addressed any low current draw issues with there retrofit unit design.
Calif SF Bay Area
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:43 PM   #7

J no they do not

Phelpo
Old 06-16-2014, 08:04 PM   #8

I have 2 blow already as well. 2 months old

2014 Sunseeker 3010DS, 2001 Jeep Cherokee toad
tmhyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:25 PM   #9

We'll replace them and silcone all them
Old 06-16-2014, 09:28 PM   #10

Just ordered the Bargman 84 LED upgrades. Will let you know in a few days how it works out
Old 06-17-2014, 05:28 PM   #11

My unit was only 3 weeks old had to replace all tail light, brake light bulbs. I think that the bulb installer at FR has dirty hands.. I just replaced the bulbs with new, handled them properly and done deal. Never used silicone.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:15 PM   #12

We had the same problem with water with all six of the tail lights, turn signals, and reverse lights on our 3170. All six bulbs were blown by water. We got the the direct replacement Bardman LEDs, and all works well now. They were plug and play, no electrical modification required. The Bardmans are sealed units. So four LED reds and two LED whites later everything is okay.
budblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 03:20 PM   #13
Commercial Member

I've got engineering talking to Bargman. That is how they come and they say they work just fine. If that's their answer...I'll just pick up my toys and play elsewhere.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:42 PM   #14

well send me 8 replacements and I'll sing your
praises!!!

phelpo
Old 06-19-2014, 08:31 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvBill3 View Post
Just ordered the Bargman 84 LED upgrades. Will let you know in a few days how it works out

Installed LED upgrade to all four tail/stop/turn lights. 5 minute job. Works fantastic. No modifications to the flasher or anything else (at least on my Chevy). Next I will order the backup lights to match.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1403184575.674300.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	528.6 KB
ID:	55740

Here is one installed on the top and old one in the middle for comparison.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:51 AM   #16

Too bad it's going to cost us all over $200 to replace all 6, for something as basic as rear lights that we should be able to expect would work without issues.
TomG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:08 AM   #17

$30 a piece for red ones on Amazon. Backups are about $35.

I look at it as an "upgrade" since they are so much better. I didn't have any problems with the factory originals in 2+ years--just wanted the LEDs because they are ten times brighter and long term they should be more reliable, since they will burn out one LED at a time instead of the whole light being out (in theory!).

Just like cars are switching to LEDs, I imagine RVs will also. This is just the beginning of applications for LEDs.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:37 AM   #18
Commercial Member

Thank you for that RvBill. We have been working on Bargman for two years now for LED options. Other guys were doing it...they were not. They finally did an LED tail light...but NOT the reverse light (what's the point?). They claimed that the reverse would not pass DOT in LED....but again, everyone else was doing it. A year later we finally got them to get an all LED tail light (reverse too) but now they wanted 3 times the price of their normal light...as everyone else is getting cheaper in LED's.

We were testing the LED tail, Incandescent reverse on Solera and it seems to be running OK. Should be moving to all LED's shortly on that product and at some point will look to do the same on the other stuff. If the price is right.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:17 AM   #19

Looks great rvbill! How did you search for them on Amazon?
tmhyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:19 AM   #20

The upgrade backup light that Bargman sells is all white. They include a stick on reflector to put somewhere on the back to conform to DOT requirements. HOWEVER, the red lights have a reflector in the center of them. So if you are using the red LEDs, then the all white backup light is not an issue. You will meet DOT requirements with the red LEDs.

Purchasing the backup light (LED) with reflector around it is very expensive compared to buying the all-white upgrade.

Tags
light, sunseeker