Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2017, 02:59 PM   #1

sunseeker gts 2800 qs coax/wiring problem

Exterior coax input has no signal to tv. I ended up running the cable through the window to tv. Does anyone know is there some trick to this or do I have a wiring issue? I can find no switches or anything to fix this problem. Thanks for any help. May have to take it in for the dreaded warranty service.
Retired BTC USN
Chesapeake, Virginia
charles l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 08:04 PM   #2

Above the entrance door inside the little cabinet door you will see a plate that has a 12v socket and a black button. Press the black button and the green light will go on or off. In order for you to view from cable input the light must be off. Make sure TV is set to cable and then do channel scan.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 06:10 AM   #3

The antenna button is off. The campsite checked the output from the external coax jack to the tv input and no signal. When I plug into the tv straight from the campsite coax output it works. Perhaps the cable in the coach is messed up or not plugged into the jack. I hope I don't have to take it in for service again.
Retired BTC USN
Chesapeake, Virginia
Old 05-28-2017, 06:23 AM   #4
"On the road again"

Coaxial Cable Issues

Last week we bought a 2017 Cardinal 3456RL and when I tried to hook up my satellite - no signal whatsoever. I looked behind the input and saw they had the cable hooked up to a two-way splitter, BUT...the input was hooked up to one of the outputs. I removed it - hooked it to the input and the other end I had just removed to the output and now I have a perfect satellite signal.

While I was in there I also discovered that they had the CABLE hooked up to the input that says AUX - and nothing hooked up to the CABLE input.

Shame on Forest River for allowing sloppy mistakes (or was it intentional) to get out of their factory. We had a similar experience with our 2012 Columbus - Palomino/Forest River eventually paid for a technician to come to our house and completely re-wire the TV/SAT/CABLE system. He was here 7 hours.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 08:47 AM   #5

Certainly first place I would look is the connections behind the input and output plates.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 02:25 PM   #6

Checking connections

I think I will pull the exterior input (4 screws) and have a look. I could not see behind the wall at the tv but it is a good 15 feet away from the external input. Both external inputs were dead according to the campground tech. Any idea where else I can look for these connections? I have no bedroom tv just the dinette tv.
Thanks.
Retired BTC USN
Chesapeake, Virginia
Old 05-28-2017, 08:38 PM   #7

Please tell me how he re-wired your cables. Are the in blue conduit, or did he have to take the ceiling out? I have a small R-Pod, and want to run one coax along side the tv antenna and use it for WIfI extender.
Thanks
SC for Huskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 08:48 PM   #8

On my MBS2400W I have an input for cable (driver side) and an output to hook up a tv outside on the passenger side. Maybe what you have is an output.
Polariste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 11:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC for Huskers View Post
Please tell me how he re-wired your cables. Are the in blue conduit, or did he have to take the ceiling out? I have a small R-Pod, and want to run one coax along side the tv antenna and use it for WIfI extender.
Thanks
Nothing has been rewired. The campground tech just checked both exterior inputs (no signal to tv) and the campground outlet (good signal). So I ended up running the campground outlet straight to the tv through my window to watch tv. I searched everywhere and could not resolve the problem. Next I will pull the exterior input to see if FR even hooked the cable to it. Last resort in for service as this is a warranty item.
Retired BTC USN
Chesapeake, Virginia
Old 05-29-2017, 12:15 PM   #10

back of wall plate should be wired like this:
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2017, 02:57 PM   #11

Chief, if you have to rewire, please keep me posted. I retired E7 in Charleston ET, so know some about wire. I worry about the way they put foam in the ceilings, but don't show how wires get from front to back except in conduit. If I pull the tv cable out and a pull fish tape with it, I then can pull the tv back in along with another coax for Range extender. I called FR and she did some digging, and called me back and said she would go to the shop and find more info. That was the end of that conversation. Like to know who and how they fix your problem. Thanks,
Once a Chief Always a Chief. Congrats.
SC for Huskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 06:35 PM   #12

Sure thing I will post my findings

I was on the Joseph Hewes ff-1078 in 84 to 86 in Charleston, SC. I was a BT2 then.
Retired BTC USN
Chesapeake, Virginia
Old 05-30-2017, 06:29 PM   #13

picture of anteena plate with 3 coax wires

This is what I found. I am not sure if the wires are correct. The black should be cable so maybe the input is correct. This is the antenna switch plate with aux cable to passenger exterior for an outside tv which I do not have. The other cable goes to the antenna.
I also removed the cover on the driver side exterior. The cable is attached. Traced it inside from the bathroom where it enters under the sink behind a drawer. Looks like it goes forward under the range but it must go under since I lost it. It then appears to go under or behind the counter/sink area. I see what looks like a coax cable at the edge of the dinette slide and up to the tv. I am lost on this one.
Forest River told me they do not pay for troubleshooting only for the repair. Pretty lame if you ask me. My coach is not yet 90 days old. It spent 5 weeks in a local rv place to fix the cracked paint on the seams.
If anyone has any ideas what I can check next I woukd appreciate it if you let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2522.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	250.2 KB
ID:	139591  
Retired BTC USN
Chesapeake, Virginia
Old 06-08-2017, 08:59 PM   #14
2014 SunSeeker 2300

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles l View Post
This is what I found. I am not sure if the wires are correct. The black should be cable so maybe the input is correct. This is the antenna switch plate with aux cable to passenger exterior for an outside tv which I do not have. The other cable goes to the antenna.
I also removed the cover on the driver side exterior. The cable is attached. Traced it inside from the bathroom where it enters under the sink behind a drawer. Looks like it goes forward under the range but it must go under since I lost it. It then appears to go under or behind the counter/sink area. I see what looks like a coax cable at the edge of the dinette slide and up to the tv. I am lost on this one.
Forest River told me they do not pay for troubleshooting only for the repair. Pretty lame if you ask me. My coach is not yet 90 days old. It spent 5 weeks in a local rv place to fix the cracked paint on the seams.
If anyone has any ideas what I can check next I woukd appreciate it if you let me know.

I had issue with a Holiday Rambler trying to figure out what cables went to where, what cables worked, what didn't work and what cables went the satellite. I bought a $30 toner that you hook up the powered end to a cable and then take the other end to the other cables and it will light up when you get close to the cable the other end is attached to and beep when to actually touch the cable. Really made my life so much better. Those wires were really screwed up so I assumed the previous owner changed them as I discovered he had also cross wired some stuff in the electrical panel. Never figured out why cause he is no longer on this earth.

Alan
Old 06-08-2017, 10:31 PM   #15
Just as confused as you

One thing you may want to do is make sure the ends are crimped correctly. There were some threads on this forum where others found their terminals were not crimped tight or in one instance a terminal was not crimped at all. Some have found their cable was not connected at all. I found 2 terminals loose at the power injector and 1 not crimped good on my TT.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
280, sunseeker, wiring