Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2013, 08:24 PM   #1
Disabled American Veteran

Sunseeker Heating/AC Problems

Well we just finished up our second camping trip with the new motorhome, 2013 Sunseeker 3010ds model and here was a wierd problem we faced on this trip:

So Oregon Coast weather was at times warm and colder at night. So the first night we had the heater going, no problems, worked great, kept us all warm. During the second day it got a little warm in the motorhome so we decided to turn the Air Conditioning on for a bit. Turn AC on, runs for about 3 minutes and it turns off. I didnt think to much of it because it cooled the motorhome down pretty good and i just thought it did it automatically. Then it doesnt come back on after about 20 minutes so i re-set the thermostat so it would go off. Nothing. Hmmmm, No fan either. So first thing i check is the breaker. Ok, breaker popped, reset the breaker, back in business. Fan works, AC works, put it on heater, AC turns back on. Hmmmmm that's wierd why would that happen? So with the thermostat on heater, heater doesnt go on but the the AC keeps turning on! (wow going to be a chilly night if we dont find out the problem on this one!). So, check all the breakers, no fuses blown everything looks like it should. Still same problem after we have it off for a while to see if just needed to cool off? Nothing lol. So go to the book, nothing in the RV owners manual that would give a clue about fixing it, just how to operate it. So go to the manufacture book, it has a section on how to reset the thermostate. Ok, lets try that! BINGO! lol So we had to press the + along with the "on/off" at the same time, then in the window you get two dashes --. That shows that its reset. So after it reset, it was good to go, everything works as it should.

So just thought i would pass this info on incase someone else out there incounters the same wierd problem we did!

Happy camping everyone!!
3010ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:50 PM   #2
Plain Old Member

Good info. I'm not crazy about these new thermostats. I miss my old one. I just wish they'd show the room temp AND set temp, not JUST the set temp. Gotta upgrade it to get that feature, which I plan on doing soon. Ours goes crazy on the heat pump mode, but all else works fine. When in heat pump mode, it makes eratic clicking sounds in the roof unit and turns on and off real fast several times, then finally gets going. I had read about the reset feature, but haven't tried it. Think mines more along the lines of faulty thermostat or control box. We hardly use the heat pump anyway as it pretty much quits working good below 40-50 degrees. One thing I do like about this one, is you can run the roof blower and furnace at the same time. Helps to circulate the heat around better. Thanks for posting as it's a reminder that the reset function is there.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:25 AM   #3

We have a 2013 3010DS and have used the heat pump and the furnace so far but not the AC. We have not experienced any problems so far with the thermostat. Thank you for the tip on resetting the thermostat
kswing60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:21 AM   #4

Thank you for this excellent tip.
dpkelly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:04 PM   #5

Heat pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Good info. I'm not crazy about these new thermostats. I miss my old one. I just wish they'd show the room temp AND set temp, not JUST the set temp. Gotta upgrade it to get that feature, which I plan on doing soon. Ours goes crazy on the heat pump mode, but all else works fine. When in heat pump mode, it makes eratic clicking sounds in the roof unit and turns on and off real fast several times, then finally gets going. I had read about the reset feature, but haven't tried it. Think mines more along the lines of faulty thermostat or control box. We hardly use the heat pump anyway as it pretty much quits working good below 40-50 degrees. One thing I do like about this one, is you can run the roof blower and furnace at the same time. Helps to circulate the heat around better. Thanks for posting as it's a reminder that the reset function is there.
I had a similar problem with the heat pump on our 2013 Sunseeker 2300. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the circuit board and thermostat control and now it works perfectly.
JimV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:26 AM   #6
Plain Old Member

That's what they did to ours in Indiana. New control box and t-stat. Seems to work fine now. Working now on upgrading to the comfort control thermostat and using it as a single zone. With help from bclemens and dometic, I've found out it is possible to do, provided there are in fact enough wires already run. Should be but I'll have to check when I get back home. The swap out would require a different control box, the thermostat and some connectors. Well worth it if it will work.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:45 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Just got confirmation that we run a 7 strand wire for some reason. Cut off 4 wires at the t-stat and use 3.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:02 PM   #8
Plain Old Member

Hopefully there is enough slack in the wire to pull the cut wires out and utilize them for an upgrade. Won't know till I can check. Thanks man.