Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2018, 10:56 AM   #1

Angry Sunseeker Interior Ladder Screws & Hardware

I have a brand new 2017 Forest River Sunseeker 2400S MBS. As I was climbing up the interior ladder to the bunk the ladder collapsed . The screws came right out of the bunk. The screws are tinny . Has anyone else experienced this problem?
I would love to hear from you.

David Swanson
2pupsNcat
Orlando FL
wildernessfamily78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 02:06 AM   #2

I weight 210 pounds and have climbed up the ladder of my 2018, 2250SLE without incident. Most of my weight was supported by the two rubber feet at the bottom of the ladder on the floor. There was some, but not much force pulling the ladder away from the removable part of the mattress. Perhaps the assembler was in a hurry the day they attached the ladder hangers and used the wrong screws. Kind of a safety issue from my point of view, yet things falling apart in RV’s seldom surprises me anymore.
Splitshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 09:05 AM   #3

I wish I could upload a picture of the screws they used. There tinny and just fell out. I agree. Quite the safety hazard. And I agree. The nothing surprises me anymore. The problems that I've had with this RV is nothing less than ridiculous.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:24 AM   #4
Chief tinkerer

Hello David. Ours worked fine until it didn't. Same thing, screw pulled out. We had guests with us and none of us realized how you were supposed to use it i.e., keep a gap between the inside of the ladder hooks and the top of the brackets. Those ladder brackets just keep it in position and as mentioned above the weight is supposed to be carried by the legs on the floor. I was looking at putting an aluminum angle across the piece where they mount so it had a stronger mount, but in the end just replaced the screws with larger ones and then not spinning them once tight like most other screws that were installed during assembly. They have held for 2 years now and we always show guests how to position the ladder.

You shouldn't have to deal with these things but try not to get discouraged. We have pretty much taken care of all of the little things caused by rushing and poor practices during assembly. If you jump around to different forums you will see that it is unfortunately very common with all brands, makes and models.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 05:12 AM   #5

Same issue here as well. Instead of having to deal with the service department again, I put in some bigger lag screws.
Pickinngrinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:02 PM   #6

Service Department

My RV is so bad. Brand new 2017 Forest River 2400S MBS. The slide out was so misaligned that it's tearing up the floor. Not just the panels but gauging huge chunks of wood out of the floor. It would allow mice and rats to get in constantly. A water pipe broke in the wall while I was at Idyllwild Thousand Trails after having the RV for 5 months. And yes, I had a Colman water regulator on the hose. The hot water heater died the first month. They mounted the propane tank to high. No one could refill the propane. I had to have it re-mounted. Several large water leaks in the roof. The shelving has collapsed. The shelving hardware has fallen out. The refrigerator would not stay cold. The microwave would blow up food. I had a custom paint job. The paint started peeling away within two months after taking possession. The main TV worked for a few weeks before all I got was the white screen of death. The leather on the driver seat is pulling away from the seat. The list just goes on and on.

Tags
sunseeker