View Poll Results: Sunseeker Warranty Issues the First Year?
We have had no warranty issues the first year. 10 15.87%
We had a few minor issues that didn't require sending the MH to the dealer. 9 14.29%
We had issues and returned the unit for warranty work. 40 63.49%
We continue to have issues beyond the first year. 4 6.35%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2013, 03:11 PM   #21
GM
 
bclemens's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Elkhart, IN
Posts: 7,089
Should actually say "did none of that". Just didn't feel practical. So I traded in for a nice practical Altima. (I do get a loaner at the dealership though. When the A/C went out in my house they didn't give me a loaner then however)

Used to know a sales guy that had a Maserati. People fall into two camps when they see something like that "he's doing really well" or "I'm paying too much".
__________________

__________________
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:42 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Should actually say "did none of that". Just didn't feel practical. So I traded in for a nice practical Altima. (I do get a loaner at the dealership though. When the A/C went out in my house they didn't give me a loaner then however)

Used to know a sales guy that had a Maserati. People fall into two camps when they see something like that "he's doing really well" or "I'm paying too much".
again slackers! when I replaced the A/C in my last house the contractor supplied portable A/C unit, you must be doing something wrong.
__________________

__________________
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:01 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
NCIC105's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
NCIC105, I think I responded over on the Facebook page....which you then mentioned going to the Attorney general.

Please don't misunderstand me...I'm not trying to skirt service. Let me put it a different way. If you had a house built and bought it with appliances. (as I did with my last house) and your furnace goes out the first week. Do you call the builder or the furnace company?

So while I totally understand your frustration. It sounds like it had an Onan problem, the dealer screwed up the repair and you seem to be mad at Forest River for that? It was an Onan issue covered under the Onan warranty program.

Just about every warranty under the sun, covers parts and labor not time lost or gas. Even auto warranties (Ford, Lexus, BMW) don't pay you for your time to take the car into the dealership to wait around for warranty repairs.

Your best course of action if you are serious is to contact the dealer that made the error in the first place. I don't know of any industry that compensates for time, work lost, fuel, pain and suffering as part of a warranty claim.
Yes you could tell I was frustrated...I did build a home recently...And call me strange but I had the builder come out and replace the heat pump because it failed and burned up the wiring......

Guess I look at it differently as I expected the builder to take care of warranty items as that is the reason I hired him...Now if I hired the sub contractors then i would agree....
__________________
NCIC105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:21 PM   #24
2012 Solera
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 983
I believe your experience with the dealer is pretty typical. I ended up getting pre-approval from FR to take to a local RV repair shop, and submit the bill to them.

My experience with the local (non-dealership) shop was completely different. They quickly addressed my problem - did the repairs within 3 days - and I haven't had any future problems with that issue. Similar experience with a tire valve issue - had fixed locally and reimbursed by FR.
These shops are both within 20 miles of where I store the RV. My dealer - closest FR Solera dealer to the Bay Area - is 70+ miles away.
I believe there is a BIG problem today with RV warranty work. The dealers need to start focusing on customer experience. They need to start being measured on and rewarded for same day repair turnaround, and on full repair solution in one visit - customer brings the RV in and gets it repaired while he/she waits. This can be accomplished by pre-ordering parts, scheduling tech time coincident with customer appointment time, and good factory training of techs. BELIEVE the customer - ask for pictures if uncertain of what the customer is saying - and PREPARE for the service call! With consolidation in the industry, dealers are fewer - and are often quite inconvenient to the customer. Minimize the impact on the customer!
Personally, I had zero benefit of buying from my local dealer vs a (cheaper) internet dealer. I believe, from this forum and from conversations with others at various RV parks, my experience is "typical". I understand there are some "good" dealers out there - but...
I will recommend to anyone who asks that they go the internet dealer route.
Note to FR - your dealership network is on borrrowed time. If you want it to continue to exist - establish appropriate customer service metrics for them, with rewards or penalties, measure those metrics, and enforce. Also, support them - with expedited parts, parts shipped ahead, etc.

I recommend you check on local, non-dealership affiliated RV repair shops in your area and, if under warranty, ask FR to pre-approve the work.
__________________
JLeising
2012 Solera "S"
Calif SF Bay Area
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:38 PM   #25
GM
 
bclemens's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Elkhart, IN
Posts: 7,089
I wholeheartedly agree that dealer experience can be 75% of the buying process. I do have some really good dealers, but two thingsI have noticed.
1. Lack of certified RV techs. They are like gold right now
2. No one was prepared for this year. As of yesterday we had already passed all of 2012. I was at a show and the person had to wait 20 days to take delivery. Their shop does PDI's and deliveries and warranty. There are so many deliveries that most shops are ill prepared to handle that and service work. So do you delay the warranty or they guy wanting to pick up his unit? I know it's a tough balancing act.

No excuses. Just explaining the situation. That is one area I think FR is ahead of the game. Some mfg's only let you service at a stocking dealer. We open that up to some service only repair shops (as long as they have certified techs). At the end of the day we're not as concerned about making sure dealerships get the service work, but that the customer gets taken care of quickly and efficiently.

We're doing a much better job of selecting dealerships, but it will still take some time. I will tell you I'm saying "no" to dealers more than I am saying yes these days. That also comes with experience. When I first started I'd sign any dealer that would take my lines. I've learned that can be more trouble than its worth.

Fear not. We're paying attention.
__________________
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:48 PM   #26
Average Joe
 
MrJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Mechanicsville, MD
Posts: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I wholeheartedly agree that dealer experience can be 75% of the buying process. I do have some really good dealers, but two thingsI have noticed.
1. Lack of certified RV techs. They are like gold right now
2. No one was prepared for this year. As of yesterday we had already passed all of 2012. I was at a show and the person had to wait 20 days to take delivery. Their shop does PDI's and deliveries and warranty. There are so many deliveries that most shops are ill prepared to handle that and service work. So do you delay the warranty or they guy wanting to pick up his unit? I know it's a tough balancing act.

No excuses. Just explaining the situation. That is one area I think FR is ahead of the game. Some mfg's only let you service at a stocking dealer. We open that up to some service only repair shops (as long as they have certified techs). At the end of the day we're not as concerned about making sure dealerships get the service work, but that the customer gets taken care of quickly and efficiently.

We're doing a much better job of selecting dealerships, but it will still take some time. I will tell you I'm saying "no" to dealers more than I am saying yes these days. That also comes with experience. When I first started I'd sign any dealer that would take my lines. I've learned that can be more trouble than its worth.

Fear not. We're paying attention.
Mr. C - Is there a list of approved service centers for the Forester/Sunseeker lines? That would be a big help for folks like us who are new to this.
__________________
Joe and Karen
2014 Sunseeker 2450sf

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:21 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
NCIC105's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJoe View Post
Mr. C - Is there a list of approved service centers for the Forester/Sunseeker lines? That would be a big help for folks like us who are new to this.

Agree..This would help
__________________
NCIC105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:54 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Garrette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJoe View Post

Mr. C - Is there a list of approved service centers for the Forester/Sunseeker lines? That would be a big help for folks like us who are new to this.
Would also be interested is such a list, if it exist. BC, what relationship does FR have with Camping World as it pertains to warranty work? Can I take it to CW, they get preapproval from FR and do the work with a smile?
__________________
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:46 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 202
Good question...how about camping world? They are always plentiful while on the road.
__________________
4Gcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 119
Smile

We got a 2013 2860DS Chevy 4500 last Jan and so far napa problems. So I guess since I have said this I will have some sort of problem next weekend.

All my problems were lack of understanding about the Sunseeker. But so far we would not trade it for anything.

I did change all the stock oils for Amsoil of which I have used since 1978. Great stuff. It's in all three Jeeps and my daughters Escape.
__________________

__________________
Wildkats66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sunseeker

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:52 PM.