View Poll Results: Sunseeker Warranty Issues the First Year?
We have had no warranty issues the first year. 10 15.87%
We had a few minor issues that didn't require sending the MH to the dealer. 9 14.29%
We had issues and returned the unit for warranty work. 40 63.49%
We continue to have issues beyond the first year. 4 6.35%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-25-2013, 09:40 AM   #41

We are new to the RVing in the US because we live in the Netherlands.
We took delivery of our new 2014 Sunseeker 2350SF in October and spend a month leaf peeping before we stored it at a cousin of mine. In general we are quite pleased but there are a few issues that need attention and are already approved to be under warrenty. Upon collection they pointed out to us that we had the newly designed front cap, which we had upgraded to the fiberglass option.
It definitely looked aerodynamically better than the old one. However, the designer never thought of where gutter was going to end. The first rain shower gave us a cold shower when we were trying to leave the cab and it poured down into the door pockets as well. The gutter ends exactly above the door opening.
We have explained the problem and send photos explaning as we feel it should be covered under warrenty but Forest River refuses point blank.
In this case Forest River can not blame a sub supplier but they refuse to take responsibilty for a badly thought through design. My dealer said it would cost about $100 on parts and labour to have it altered which I find shocking that FR is not accepting a warrenty claim like this which is clearly their mistake in design.
Now the dealer offers to send the gutter extension free of charge which has to be glued with double sided 3m tape.
How does this forum feels about this, should I accept or hold FR responsible and make a lot of noise about it?
I have read elsewhere that some one had the same problem.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:28 AM   #42

It certainly is an annoying issue but probably only happens when the coach is positioned (leveled) a certain way and it happens to be raining hard while you are exiting the cab. In those cases you could just exit the coach door like you would have to if it was a Class A style RV. Warranties usually only address workmanship or failure issues not necessarily poor design unless it is a safety issue. If you can get the part for free and just have to install with 3M tape I would take that option.

Old 12-25-2013, 11:09 AM   #43

Come to think of it, that is annoying. The rain gutter pours into the drives side door. I'll contact my dealer (RvOne) and see if they will supply the rain gutter extender for free. Thank you
Old 12-25-2013, 11:37 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_dutchman View Post
However, the designer never thought of where gutter was going to end. The first rain shower gave us a cold shower when we were trying to leave the cab and it poured down into the door pockets as well. The gutter ends exactly above the door opening.
We have explained the problem and send photos explaning as we feel it should be covered under warrenty but Forest River refuses point blank.
In this case Forest River can not blame a sub supplier but they refuse to take responsibilty for a badly thought through design. My dealer said it would cost about $100 on parts and labour to have it altered which I find shocking that FR is not accepting a warrenty claim like this which is clearly their mistake in design.
Now the dealer offers to send the gutter extension free of charge which has to be glued with double sided 3m tape.
How does this forum feels about this, should I accept or hold FR responsible and make a lot of noise about it?
I have read elsewhere that some one had the same problem.
I agree that this is a nuisance but I agree with ATVer that this is not a "warranty" item. You could state the same as to the placement of the TV antenna. Things end up where they are not by design but rather by default. Forest River and other RV manufactures know that you can't please everybody, but a rain gutter placement is one that is difficult re-orient due to other factors such as dumping over a slide-out or a cargo storage door.
I don't believe gutter extension will help much - it will just extend the point of discharge out and will still end up in the path of the door.
I have the same issue with that with my air conditioner condensate. It always wants to drip from the drivers side front. I adjust the levelers to send the condensate to the back drivers side corner.

You could experiment blocking off that gutter with a piece of rubber foam before going with the extensions or do like ATVer stated and exit from the main coach door. I did this once in the rain and actually extended the power awning 3- 4 feet so I could get out the door and open the umbrella. That worked perfectly.

Bobby
Old 12-31-2013, 09:14 AM   #45

rain gutter / slide squeegees

We picked up our sunseeker 2500 last week and it has been raining almost every day - we picked it up in NY and are now in Florida - (warm but still raining a lot), the drain above the driver's door is a pain and i worry about the electronics in the door panel. I am also wondering about the slide squeegees - the ones on top do not totally come out and are kinked in areas when the slides are extended. Not sure if I can/should manually pull them out so they lie flat. To our surprise the unit came with a rear ladder which must be new because all of the previous ones we looked at didn't have it. Without the ladder it would have been difficult to check the slide awnings etc. Also the slide under the dinette doesn't lie flat in the corner - i can see inside the unit. Not sure if this is normal?
Unit drove great (ford) and we have about 8,000 miles to go on this - our first trip.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:15 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchpadl View Post
We picked up our sunseeker 2500 last week and it has been raining almost every day - we picked it up in NY and are now in Florida - (warm but still raining a lot), the drain above the driver's door is a pain and i worry about the electronics in the door panel. I am also wondering about the slide squeegees - the ones on top do not totally come out and are kinked in areas when the slides are extended. Not sure if I can/should manually pull them out so they lie flat. To our surprise the unit came with a rear ladder which must be new because all of the previous ones we looked at didn't have it. Without the ladder it would have been difficult to check the slide awnings etc. Also the slide under the dinette doesn't lie flat in the corner - i can see inside the unit. Not sure if this is normal?
Unit drove great (ford) and we have about 8,000 miles to go on this - our first trip.
I agree with you it might even be creating an electric short inside the door and I do not agree with one of the above answers that it would not be covered by the warranty. That way they could redesign whatever and say that it is design fault not covered by warranty. Suppose they would redesign one of the tanks and it would be leaking as a result of hanging it too low than it would be a design fault!!! It would not be dangerous and it is not a material fault. I attach 2 pictures of the old design and new design and from that it is very clear that the designer made a mistake. I think you should complain. The more people complain the more chance we have, they will accept it is their mistake and should make up for it. The person I wrote to was:
April Conner <aconner@forestriverinc.com>
and her answer was as follows:
I am sorry, that you are not happy with the sunseeker due to where gutter is located. The Class C warranty rep gave the dealer a way to fix this. However, there is really nothing that I can do since this is how they are designed. In our brochures it states:
"All specifications contained herein are based on the latest product information at time of printing.
Forest River reservesthe right to make changes in colors, materials, equipment and specifications
at any time without notice and assumes no responsibility for any errors in this brochure. LITHO:
I have submitted the complaint with the engineering department for future reference, at this time that is all I can do.
Thank you,
April Conner
Forest River Inc.
Motorized Retail Warranty Representative

I do not think this is an answer I expected from a company like Forest River and it disappoints me.
I look forward to hear from you what you get as an answer.
Regarding the slide squeegees I have not yet checked on the top. On the sides it was all right.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:28 AM   #47

gutter problem

Sorry attachment did not go with it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf gutter problem.pdf (196.4 KB, 60 views)
Old 12-31-2013, 12:52 PM   #48

Dutch,

I can understand your aggravation. You asked for the reactions of others. I would say it's aggravating, but just learn to work around it. I am glad you pointed it out, and I'll be careful with our new unit when it shows up in a few weeks.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:44 PM   #49

Concerning the shorter gutters, the previous longer ones weren't a lot better. If you opened the door more fully during moderate rain it still would wet down the door electric switches. It has happened to me once or twice.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:53 PM   #50
Average Joe

My gutters drain perfectly in the door storage pockets. I learned quick not to put anything in the doors. I'm not thinking the extensions would help much.

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sunseeker