Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Sunseeker Warranty Issues the First Year?
We have had no warranty issues the first year. 11 17.19%
We had a few minor issues that didn't require sending the MH to the dealer. 9 14.06%
We had issues and returned the unit for warranty work. 40 62.50%
We continue to have issues beyond the first year. 4 6.25%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-25-2013, 04:51 PM   #1
Average Joe

Arrow Sunseeker Owners ??

As most of you know, we have ordered a 2450s Sunseeker. I've been reading about lots of issues and we're just a tad nervous. Now, I know these threads are riddled with folks that have had problems. Most folks without issues don't post that.

In this poll, I'm looking for Sunseeker owner's experience. I'm hoping to hear that a majority don't have problems...

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:23 PM   #2

Generator DOA when delivered
NCIC105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:10 PM   #3

The issues I have had were very petty. Things that I won't drive the 50 miles to the dealer to fix. Over all.... Very happy with my 2013 3010ds.
osgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:31 PM   #4
Sunseeker 2500TS owner

We have a Sunseeker 2500TS which is similar to your RV. We are very happy with it. It is a 2014 model on a Ford 450. We have had it since early May, made several trips. It drives well, interstate, two lane etc., lots of power and pretty easy to drive. Only couple very minor problems that we have not yet had fixed. We love it.
Fit and finish is very good. I think you made a great choice. good luck from Woodbine, MD.
ejkkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:36 PM   #5

Only issue that I took it back to a dealer was a safety recall for propane gas line support bracket problem. Also had to get front end alignment at local shop which was reimbursed by Forest River.

Many other issues that I fixed myself, such as: missing fuse in battery cross tie and chassis charging control circuit, plumbing error that caused the water filter to be bypassed when hooked up to city water, defective fitting causing an oil leak on Big Foot Jack, leaking tail light covers with no drain holes that caused all four stop and tail light bulbs to fail, debris blocked AC/heating duct, improperly installed anti sail stops on the slide toppers, improperly aligned hood so much so that it did not open with out sticking not to mention the cosmetic issue, and defective leaking valve stem extender on outside rear dual.

All I can remember but not that bad considering it is a whole house on wheels.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:41 PM   #6

We have a 2012 2300 Chevy. Now in our second season of camping, we have may nights and 9000 miles on it. We have had no major problems. Couple of little issues with radio fixed with software upgrade. Heat pump issue waiting for part. LP regulator needed replacement. None of these have been significant. We love our Sunseeker.

Do not despair. It is an outstanding product. You will have many happy days of camping ahead of you.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:10 PM   #7
Average Joe

Wow... Looks like I need to find a shop Everyone has issues.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJoe View Post
Wow... Looks like I need to find a shop Everyone has issues.
You are correct in your observation that most of those posting to this forum are seeking solutions to problems, but don't get too worried about it. This forum should not be considered to be an accurate sampling of an average number of problems with any particular RV. It can be helpful in finding out if certain problems are common, such as recently there was a batch of bad fuel pumps on Onan generators (apparently corrected by Onan under warranty with no hassle).

We have a 2011 Sunseeker Model 3100 that we ordered equipped as we wanted. We’ve used it for over 250 nights, 28,000 miles and have been though 46 states (all but 2 were overnight). I fix minor problems rather than take it to the dealer, even though he is only 10 miles away and does a good job. We have experienced no major problems, such as leaks, slide failure, generator failure, refrigerator not cooling well, etc.

I did have the front end aligned at about 22,000 miles, and should have had it done sooner. It had been pulling to the right since our first long trip. I was not aware of this forum and did not know that Forest River would have covered it while it was under warranty, so I had to pay for it myself. A Forest River representative who participates in this forum (unofficially) has posted about this problem. He has suggested that the alignment will change over the course of the first 3,000 miles, so unless it is really bad (like noticeably wearing the tires) it is best to drive it for a while, and then have it realigned if it is needed. I suggest that you pay close attention to how it drives. If you feel there is a problem with it pulling one way or the other, contact your dealer to have it aligned at FR’s expense.

Overall, we are quite happy with our Sunseeker. However, you should be perpared to do some minor repairs over the years, just as you would to your house. The Ford chassis has been absolutely trouble free, except for the alignment. I've only had to change the oil and filter, and recently an air filter.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:43 AM   #9

We took possession of our Sunseeker 3010 last December and have had only a couple of warranty issues - the slide awnings were installed incorrectly and our big slide needed adjustment. Otherwise the unit has been terrific. We've been on the road since June and have had no real issues. We've found Forest River customer service to be great. This is not to say that it has all been smooth sailing - we've had the following challenges:
-hail damaged our vent covers
-the anode bar was not installed in our hot water heater (was lying by it, though) so when we first hooked up water came pouring out (much to the delight of the KOA campground worker who pointed it out to us)
- had a loose connection into the water pump and more water came flowing into our storage compartment
- on setting up at a campsite in 100 deg heat we couldn't get power to come on. The campground maintenance guys found that the electricity was getting to the coach. They inspected our converter and found a connection had come loose and fixed it.
- Popped a breaker the first time we hooked up but realized we couldn't find the breaker box (no documentation on this). Did find it next to the converter.

We've learned a lot in the last few months - like don't open the medicine cabinet if the toilet seat is up (a good way to drop my toothbrush in the toilet), turn the fan on over the stove when you are frying bacon (that smoke alarm works really well), turn on the lights on the MH when towing or the battery in the jeep goes dead, and we needed a lot less stuff than we thought we did. But most of all we've learned that we love our Sunseeker and hope you do, too.

If you want some laughs or to just see our traveling story you are welcome to visit our website at http://www.jaysplanet.info/RVTravels/RVindex.htm. No adds on the site - we just do it for fun.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:12 AM   #10

2014 3170DS......these are called "working out the bugs". I am not sure why it is so impossible to work the bugs out BEFORE the manufacturer and/or dealer deliver but for some reason it is axcceptable and expected to have a BRAND NEW unit have a handful of issues (comment above....it is a whole house on wheels). So here is a summary of the issues we have had.

1) Power failure of 12 volt system due to faulty converter
2) dealer did not tighten battery connection after converter replacement leading to another standed power failure (battery dead and 12 volt system withit
3) Switch box for AV system not working from beginning...had to be replced
4) front dash AV console had to be replaced due to defective DVD player

Other minor things (though no less irritating

1) screws coming loose on plastic wall/hatch to water filtration
2) small leak on water line low point drain

The good news is that we have worked through all of the problems. The dealer has done their best but we did get exceptionally frustrated with taking our unit back and back and back to get these problems ironed out. We have had two weeks of trouble free camping and are now starting to really enjoy the unit.

I agree that Forest River Customer Service is great. i would suggest though that they invest in a more thorough c quality check prior to releasing the unit to the market.
Scooter81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:00 PM   #11

We took delivery of our 3170 this past March. The only problem we have had is with the generator and awning. The awning was repaired by Dometic, worked with them directly, and our Onan 4K generator. I will work with Onan directly and alignment, which I took care of out of need. FR covered it with only a receipt.

We have enjoyed our coach very much. Long trip to Florida, several weekenders, long trip planned for Virginia in October. Just got in this afternoon and it preformed wonderfully. We have never regretted the purchase and look forward to the next adventure.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:40 PM   #12

The 2450 is a great plan. Expect repairs, so find a solid dealer.

Now that our roof was replaced, this is my list for dealer on Fri.

1. Cabinet paneling in bathroom fell off
2. Fresh water tank fills when connected to city water/ water pump surges- water pump check valve?
3. Battery isolation switch recall? Not sure if my unit applies.
4. Water heater access panel is cracked, loose and needs to be replaced/ recaulked.
5. Light switch over dinette has 12v issues. Shuts off Tv when the switch is turned on/ off. Subwoofer pops.
6. 32" TV wall mount needs new rubber stops on rear. They are split and falling apart.
7. Microwave trim panel cracked in corner
9. Awning led lights burning out
10. Dometic awning recall-confirmed we have the recalled awning motor.
4Gcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:53 AM   #13
Average Joe

Wow! Somebody had zero problems. I certainly hope we fall into this category a year from now.

Thank You Everyone for your input!

Old 08-28-2013, 12:21 PM   #14
Graduate Member

No problems here - we bought used, so that may explain.

Let me give a comparison to keep this in perspective. We just moved into a brand new house. We had "issues" with the following:

1) Thermostat kept telling us to change filters every 2 weeks (turns out the reminder default is 2 weeks, and hadn't been changed)

2) RV plug is actual a 220 welder's plug (we didn't know anything to tell the electrician, so he did his uneducated best)

3) Caulk is already cracking in some places (houses settle)

4) master bath jets kept popping out (faulty manufacturing - fixed by builder)

5) Lawn sank in areas (settling)

What you're buying is a HOUSE, built on top of a truck. So while all of us are used to - and expect - our transportation to work perfectly from the get go; a house has LOTS more systems.

Imagine if you were talking about buying a space shuttle - would you also be second guessing because previous space shuttles have not been perfect? Of course not - more complicated means more complications. But none of the complications - none of ours and none that I've ever seen on this board have changed anyone's mind about buying their camper.

FR apparently has a very good reputation (we've been an RV family for all of a year). When we decide to get another/upgrade - they'll be our first choice. Even though no one told us about the third waste water tank for the shower.

A few issues are just the cost of admission. I had lesser issues with our tent - but more fun in the camper. Just my .02.
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:53 PM   #15

Generator frustration. One trip to dealer after we picked it up to be told it needed a new carb (80 mile round trip). Another trip once the carb came in (80 mile round trip).

Still not working correctly. Would run less than 30 sec...Dealer sent me to Cummings Atlantic (140 mile round trip). Cummings Atlantic said that Onan would not warranty work because it had the wrong carb installed. They wanted to charge me 6 hours labor for trouble shooting..I raised heck and they dropped it....Another trip to dealers (80 mile round trip). They removed a carb off a new unit and placed on my one month old.

So I'm out gas for 380 miles and two days work missed for an item that should have been working on day one....I should have refused to close the deal until they had it corrected.....I went in the hole 45.00 per hour lost work....$720.00 the gas of $117.80...

So a warranty item cost me out of pocket $837.80

I could have bought a carb and installed myself and saved money.....

Does Forest River ever compensate a owner?
NCIC105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:57 AM   #16
Commercial Member

NCIC105, I think I responded over on the Facebook page....which you then mentioned going to the Attorney general.

Please don't misunderstand me...I'm not trying to skirt service. Let me put it a different way. If you had a house built and bought it with appliances. (as I did with my last house) and your furnace goes out the first week. Do you call the builder or the furnace company?

So while I totally understand your frustration. It sounds like it had an Onan problem, the dealer screwed up the repair and you seem to be mad at Forest River for that? It was an Onan issue covered under the Onan warranty program.

Just about every warranty under the sun, covers parts and labor not time lost or gas. Even auto warranties (Ford, Lexus, BMW) don't pay you for your time to take the car into the dealership to wait around for warranty repairs.

Your best course of action if you are serious is to contact the dealer that made the error in the first place. I don't know of any industry that compensates for time, work lost, fuel, pain and suffering as part of a warranty claim.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:27 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
NCIC105, I think I responded over on the Facebook page....which you then mentioned going to the Attorney general.

Please don't misunderstand me...I'm not trying to skirt service. Let me put it a different way. If you had a house built and bought it with appliances. (as I did with my last house) and your furnace goes out the first week. Do you call the builder or the furnace company?

So while I totally understand your frustration. It sounds like it had an Onan problem, the dealer screwed up the repair and you seem to be mad at Forest River for that? It was an Onan issue covered under the Onan warranty program.

Just about every warranty under the sun, covers parts and labor not time lost or gas. Even auto warranties (Ford, Lexus, BMW) don't pay you for your time to take the car into the dealership to wait around for warranty repairs.

Your best course of action if you are serious is to contact the dealer that made the error in the first place. I don't know of any industry that compensates for time, work lost, fuel, pain and suffering as part of a warranty claim.
bad choice of products when using MB, or Lexus as our MB and our Land Rover are picked up at work or house with a loaner left in its place and the Land Rover Dealer was 117 miles from my house.
In FGR defense though when my lemon of a C ( ridgeview) was unrepairable by dealer, FR did sent horizon transport to my house, picked it up, repaired it and sent it back. the unfortunate part was it was still a lemon just different problems came up after repairs. Of course FR fired the one person who helped most with my problems ( Mike Burns) so I traded it in on a Cedar Creek 36 CKTS which for the record spent more time being repaired than I actually had it in my hands. Most problems were sub-contracted parts failures and a general lack of QC. My current FR Aviator is holding up better but still has QC issues.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:43 AM   #18
Commercial Member

I need to have a discussion with my BMW dealer. They do none of that.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:22 AM   #19

Quote:
slackers!
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:01 AM   #20

Quote:

you must be doing well
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sunseeker