Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2013, 08:24 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTrip View Post
We're thrilled in our first camper ever (besides the tent), a 2860. Currently drooling over the 3100.
Funny you say that. I was the poster above who has the 3100. But we came VERY close to buying a 2860! I thought it was a good price (in retrospect, not so sure about that) and an OK layout (but we were early in the process). We ended up not going with the 2860 for a couple reasons.

First, the front slide blocked part of the kitchen area when it was in. There wasn't a ton of kitchen storage space let alone some if it being blocked. That is a great thing about the 3100. It's very functional with the slide in (just a couple drawers only come out about 75% of the way).

Second, while I liked the bedroom storage and space, I wondered if you could sleep on the bed with the slide in? It looked like the bottom of the mattress wasn't supported.

Anyway, the dealer sold that one. Then FR started making the outside kitchen standard. We definitely wanted the bigger outside storage more than the outside kitchen (the outside storage compartment got smaller with the outside kitchen). So that's why we ended up going the 3100 route.
'94 Coleman Cedar Pop Up
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:27 PM   #22

Send a message via Skype™ to Chrisbrock
I found the switch Thanks for your help

How do I make sure that there is water in the water heater tank for the electric elemant?

Do I just simply turn on the water pump on the control panel? Do I run the hot water faucet a bit to pull water in there. Not sure I understand.
2003 Hummer H2
2003 IS300
Chrisbrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:36 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisbrock View Post
I found the switch Thanks for your help How do I make sure that there is water in the water heater tank for the electric elemant? Do I just simply turn on the water pump on the control panel? Do I run the hot water faucet a bit to pull water in there. Not sure I understand.
That confused me at first too. Do BOTH those things that you asked about and you will be fine. If the hot water tank is empty and you open a hot tap you will literally hear the water filing the hot water tank.

Here's some bonus info now... We always use our fresh tank. After a trip we drain it. Then refill it for the next trip. But water stays in the hot water tank (unless you pull the anode rod). Anyway, saying this because if you work off the fresh tank the way we do, you only need to draw water into the hot water tank once per year after de-winterizing. Hopefully this second part doesn't confuse you more.
'94 Coleman Cedar Pop Up
Old 10-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #24

Send a message via Skype™ to Chrisbrock
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmlac View Post
That confused me at first too. Do BOTH those things that you asked about and you will be fine. If the hot water tank is empty and you open a hot tap you will literally hear the water filing the hot water tank.

Here's some bonus info now... We always use our fresh tank. After a trip we drain it. Then refill it for the next trip. But water stays in the hot water tank (unless you pull the anode rod). Anyway, saying this because if you work off the fresh tank the way we do, you only need to draw water into the hot water tank once per year after de-winterizing. Hopefully this second part doesn't confuse you more.
So essentially just make sure there is water in the Water Heater tank. I got it now.

So now for a recap. I really need to go outside and click on that electric switch if there is going to be heavy hot water use with the family showering. But for the most part the gas operation switch on the control panel will work just fine.

I just ordered a Oxygenics shower head to replace the stock one. Everyone says you gain water pressure and at the same time use 70% less water.

In closing I appreciate everyones input. Our 2014 3170DS is our first camper and we are learning a bunch on our adventures.

I think my only other question is there are "two options" for heat on the climate control. One is Furnace and I forget what the other one is. Should I assume that one is for a gas furnace and the other is for electric heat?

Thanks in advance.
2003 Hummer H2
2003 IS300
Chrisbrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:10 PM   #25

Quote:
So essentially just make sure there is water in the Water Heater tank. I got it now. So now for a recap. I really need to go outside and click on that electric switch if there is going to be heavy hot water use with the family showering. But for the most part the gas operation switch on the control panel will work just fine. I just ordered a Oxygenics shower head to replace the stock one. Everyone says you gain water pressure and at the same time use 70% less water. In closing I appreciate everyones input. Our 2014 3170DS is our first camper and we are learning a bunch on our adventures. I think my only other question is there are "two options" for heat on the climate control. One is Furnace and I forget what the other one is. Should I assume that one is for a gas furnace and the other is for electric heat? Thanks in advance.
Yes you absolutely want to ensure there is water in the water heater tank before turning electric on to it - or you will burn out the element.

My reco would be to try this approach first: Do NOT turn on the gas switch on the control panel. Turn on the electric switch on the outside only. If that works you are good. The reason is you will be using campground electric rather than your propane.

If your 2nd, 3rd, etc showers are cold then you will want to also use the gas switch on the control panel for a quicker recovery. Although I would only do this around shower time so you are not burning your propane 24 hours a day.

However we have run three to four (short) back to back showers with just maybe ten minutes in between and been fine on electric only.

I can only help a little on your last question. One of the settings would be for the gas furnace. The other is for the heat pump. However we don't have the heat pump so I can't help much beyond that. You may want to search on the term heat pump across all the boards as there are a lot of questions / posts about them.
'94 Coleman Cedar Pop Up
Old 10-09-2013, 09:25 PM   #26

Quote:

In closing I appreciate everyones input. Our 2014 3170DS is our first camper and we are learning a bunch on our adventures.

I think my only other question is there are "two options" for heat on the climate control. One is Furnace and I forget what the other one is. Should I assume that one is for a gas furnace and the other is for electric heat?

Thanks in advance.
It's good to ask questions!(Although you might start a topic specific to your questions, more folks are bound to help when they read your topic heading) I'm sort of still new to this forum but been camping since I was knee high to a grass hopper. However, I'm still learning something new all the time!

Another interjection on the water heater is that you can open the relief valve to "bleed" any air trapped at the top (the relief valve is also outside near the top of the tank). If you get water out when you lift the relief valve, the tank is full.

You will like the Oxygenics - we do. The shut-off valve on the shower head works better too.

On the furnace, you have two options: heatpump (which uses your A/C system to heat the camper. Good to down around 55 degrees outdoor temp.) The other option is the propane furnace. It heats fast but tends to dry the air in the camper where as the heatpump does not. If you use the heatpump, use it on low fan speed.

Sorry DXSMac your topic covered a bit more than pluses and minuses.

Bobby
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:55 PM   #27
Love My Sunseeker

Quote:
We ended up not going with the 2860 for a couple reasons.

First, the front slide blocked part of the kitchen area when it was in. There wasn't a ton of kitchen storage space let alone some if it being blocked.
3170 model has the same problem. Further, when the back slide is in, you can't easily get into the bathroom. Well, I can, I'm small, but I have to SQUEEEEEZE to get in. How about the folks with the bunk bed model, can your kids get into the bathroom?

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:57 PM   #28
Love My Sunseeker

Quote:
I found the switch Thanks for your help

How do I make sure that there is water in the water heater tank for the electric elemant?

Do I just simply turn on the water pump on the control panel? Do I run the hot water faucet a bit to pull water in there. Not sure I understand.
Yeppers! water pump or city water. It runs through the tank before it gets to you. Once you have filled it from first time use, it stays filled unless you empty it by pulling the anode rod (but I heard not all models use an anode rod) below the water heater.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:03 PM   #29
Love My Sunseeker

Quote:
Here's some bonus info now... We always use our fresh tank.
I use mine a lot. If I'm staying somewhere for ONE or TWO nights, I fill the fresh water tank and don't use city water. If I'm staying somewhere for a long time, I use the city water, and the very last night, I fill the water tank and put the hose away. I find that using the freshwater tank (and not the city water) saves me about 20 minutes of "pack up" time. Being a solo, saving 20 minutes is significant to me. Plus, from what I read somewhere, using your freshwater tank a lot kind of helps keep it cleaner (kind of a long story on that, I'll have to find the article I read....)

Old 10-09-2013, 10:18 PM   #30
Love My Sunseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgilly View Post
Sorry DXSMac your topic covered a bit more than pluses and minuses.

Bobby
I guess so! I was kind of thinking, "hey, start a new topic already...." but oh well.......

I just wanted to see what people thought of different models of Sunseekers as I have owned three different models. I still miss the classy "hallway" with the oval windows of the 3120 model but that model wasn't a big seller from what I have seen. The 3120 was good for a solo person to me, wasn't set up for a "couple" or family.

But I LOVE the 3170 with the COMPUTER DESK! And because I got the computer desk option, I get some extra closet space and a few more drawers than what the bunk bed model gets, NANNER NANNER NANNER!

The only thing I don't like about the computer desk is that it's very small, barely room for my laptop and Home Phone Connect (Wireless Landline) phone. NO ROOM FOR MY PRINTER! So, I stash the printer under the desk and while in transit, push the chair in to hold the printer in place.

Forest River could...... possibly....... take out the extra storage and make room for a printer shelf........ BUT I LIKE THE EXTRA STORAGE!!!!!!

Oh yeah. Another thing I like about the 3170 that was better than the 3120 and 2860 is.... the bedroom. In the 3120 and the 2860, the BED was on the slideout. When it was cold, you got cold air coming in through the slideout. I used to stuff my dirty towels around the bed to keep the cold air out. In the 3170, the cabinets are on the slideout. LOVE IT! No more cold air around the bed coming through the slide.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:19 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXSMac View Post
3170 model has the same problem. Further, when the back slide is in, you can't easily get into the bathroom. Well, I can, I'm small, but I have to SQUEEEEEZE to get in. How about the folks with the bunk bed model, can your kids get into the bathroom?
We have the Forester version of the 3170 with the bunk. With the slide in, we can get into the bathroom but you have to pass it up first then open the door to enter. If the bottom couch is made into the bed it would be very tight squeeze. Fortunately we don't need bed function until we are parked and the slide-out is extended. We really like the floor plan although we don't use the top bunk much. When our son has friends it's easy enough to use the over cab bunk or the sofa. No matter what, there are plenty of sleeping arrangements.
We don't mind giving up some of the kitchen with the slide-out pulled in. It's not that much that we door in the kitchen while on the road, although the slide does block the drawers where we keep utensils but we keep spare supply in the overhead cabinet.
A couple cons I find is the tight walk-around in the bedroom (back wall). It's not too bad considering that we have a very roomy bathroom, I rather the space taken in the bedroom to have what has been given in the bathroom. You can only give and take on a 31 foot floor plan and the space around the bed is hardly necessary.
I also wish the window at the bed head end (window on the side wall) was a little higher. Our pillows are right on the window and shades. I know it is an emergency exit window and it had to comply with egress needs its just I'm use to having pillows backup onto a headboard.
The pros:
Love the huge rear window in the bedroom. We have been to several campgrounds with great scenes at the back of the RV but our bedroom was always at the nose. Hope to visit these places again with our new found view.
Also love the LED lighting through-out the interior. A nice color and no HEAT. We also enjoy the dimming LED over the bed. Perfect for reading without being blinded.
We like the hamper concept in the bathroom but it is a little difficult to get the partially full bag out with the canti-levered door and the toilet in the path. I worry too that the laundry might push/pull on the plumbing near the wall in that same space. I might add some blocking.
The wardrobe is big, tons for hanging but I personally would have liked either shelves in the tall wardrobes or another row of drawers near the bottom. A personal preference.

Other than that, we just love our unit and wish were using it more. That will come.

Bobby
Old 10-09-2013, 10:30 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXSMac View Post

But I LOVE the 3170 with the COMPUTER DESK! And because I got the computer desk option, I get some extra closet space and a few more drawers than what the bunk bed model gets, NANNER NANNER NANNER!
Ah, nanner nanner nanner yourself - we have an entire top bunk to fill and it seems to be the mission my wife tries to accomplish (she loves outlet shopping on our trips).
I've seen photos of the desk option, I would probably modify it a bit if we went with that. I did see the extra wardrobe space which can be nice but also seems weird, less beds (less people) but more interior closet space. No matter, when kids come with us they pack everything in duffle bags and keep them in their bed area so the extra closet would not likely get used for clothing.

Bobby
Old 10-10-2013, 07:05 PM   #33
Love My Sunseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgilly View Post
We like the hamper concept in the bathroom but it is a little difficult to get the partially full bag out with the canti-levered door and the toilet in the path. I worry too that the laundry might push/pull on the plumbing near the wall in that same space. I might add some blocking.
I found the same annoyance. I quit using the space as a "hamper" and I just use it for storage. I store the clothes bag in the bathtub. I have to take it out and put it somewhere when I need to use the bathtub, but I'll live with it.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:57 PM   #34

We started with a used 2005 a couple of years ago. At that time we were traveling with 5 dogs and a bird. We bought a 2013 3070DS, what a difference. More storage space, the ride and handling on the road is terrific. We now travel with 7 dogs, making the bunk space ideal. The bath tub isn't very useful for " a bath" however it is ideal for washing the dogs. The side shelf in kitchen is designed much better to get it to go upright then store away. We are enjoying the whole experience on the road instead of hoping to get to the destination to park it. My only "dislike" and it's a small dislike is the funky upholstery patterns, kind of hard to add touches and match them.
schnauzer mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:54 AM   #35
Love My Sunseeker

Yeppers, the upholstery patterns....... When I picked, it was like..... "What do I hate the least....."

I'm not a "patterns" person. I would prefer the window valances to be a plain, but contrasting (contrasting to the color of the shade) in a pleasing way. Fortunately, the couch and dinette seat cushions are in a very neutral beige.... but I could do without the "patterns" on the dinette back cushions, the window valance, and the computer desk chair...... Yich!

Hey Forest River, can you offer a "plain yet contrasting" option on the upholstery? These "patterns" just SCREAM OUT, "THIS IS AN RV....."

Old 10-22-2013, 10:17 AM   #36
Commercial Member

Trust me...it used to be "pattern-pattern-pattern". Several years back I begged for solid sofa's. Which we did. Then a couple of years later we did solid on the dinette seat.

The key was to match residential. Most houses have solid sofa, solid love seat with a patterned/accent chair. Maybe a patterned valance or curtain. Which is sort of what we have settled on. The dinette seat was inspired by restaurants. Ultra leather seat (easy to clean) with a fabric back (still breaths) adds some color.

It's just tough to please everyone. I still get people that say it is too bland, not enough color. So we try and strike the right balance. They're zip on covers, so easy enough to re-upholster.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:22 PM   #37
Love My Sunseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Trust me...it used to be "pattern-pattern-pattern". Several years back I begged for solid sofa's. Which we did. Then a couple of years later we did solid on the dinette seat.
Then THANK YOU THANK YOU for the begging you did. I love the neutral one color sofa and neutral one color (same color) dinette seats, got a lot of compliments on them. I could tolerate the "patterns" on the computer chair if it weren't also on the window valances. Or vice versa.

Tags
sunseeker