Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2013, 07:40 AM   #1

Sunseeker Quality Issues – Me Too…….

Been a few threads recently regarding “things that shouldn’t be”. Count me in!
We bought our ’11 Sunseeker 2300 of a dealer’s lot as a leftover that September, and it was exactly the unit I was looking for. I wanted the Azdel walls, crowned fiberglass roof, no more than a 24’ +/- length, and an E450 chassis as I needed to tow heavy. This unit also had most every option checked off, including that marvelous real mattress, a black tank sprayer, and the fancy water filter.
Picked-it up on a Thursday, used that next weekend, all seemingly well. Except for:
1. On Saturday afternoon while sitting under the awning, I see up close the horizontal mullion on the kitchen sink window is at least 1” out of plumb. WTH? How did this make it out of Hehr, let alone get installed in a wall at Forest River? To everyone’s credit at my selling dealer and Forest River, this was a simple warranty claim, aside from 3 ½ hours each way of driving to the dealer for the 1 ½ hours to R&R the window.

2. That optional black tank squirter? Whoever at the factory hole-sawed the side of the tank and placed the caulk and screwed it in should be canned. After going to dump after that first weekend, which was dry camping, open up the compartment where the dump valves are and Eeewwwww, peeee-yuuuuu. Guess what was leaking like a sieve? The screws holding it in were loose and the caulk unevenly applied to not even come close to sealing. I ultimately had to take the entire gizmo out, get all the original caulk material off with mineral spirits, and reinstall using a special wet application caulk and larger stainless steel screws, as the original pot metal ones would have rotted in a few years.

3. Oh, one more thing, the roof sealant placed around the TV antenna missed a spot and created a low point, that in a big rainstorm creating any sort of depth of water on the roof made for a leak through the antenna crank. That wasn’t a big deal to fix, but again, where was the basic care of workmanship?

I thought that was it, aside from a kitchen cabinet door coming off in my hand one racing weekend out last summer. Since I had the full pile of car repair spares with me, there was a package of two-part epoxy to goop up those stripped hinge holes good and fix it right then and there. So now, I though I was really done with new unit teething. Nope!

4. This past week we did our 2013 maiden voyage, which was a week at the Sebring 12-hour. As it still is cold where we are from, I de-winterized after arriving down in Florida. Again dry camping, the water tank was filled to the brim for my son and I for the week. A day in, I go to take the grill out of the right side storage compartment that has the water pump and fancy filter behind it, and it is a floody mess, with maybe ½” of water in it. WTH??? Again. Taking the interior walls of the compartment off, I find that filter is only supported by a thin steel cantilevered bracket attached itself by only 2 sheetmetal screws. It is clear this thing really rattles around going down the road, and with it the PEX lines in and out, along with the water pump itself, and the strainer THAT IS TOTALLY HIDDEN without any easy maintenance access behind fixed, screwed in panels. Since I have the optional filter, I didn't even know this was there. My leak was coming from the strainer housing, an intermittent drip, as either the steady vibration over 10,000 miles worked the cap loose (it wasn’t even hand tight when I found it) or it has a hairline crack from being shaken steadily over the miles. It will be an easy fix to replace, and make better as this is a location in the plumbing where I can install a valved tee for easy winterizing. I will also be better bracing all the plumbing parts behind this compartment. There was no way to fix this without loosing all the water in the fresh tank, so I just pulled the screw drain at the compartment bottom and let it drip about one drop every minute. It only amounted to maybe a gallon of water over the week, but still…..

5. Now that I was paranoid about leaks, mid-week one early morning while getting something out of the rear compartment under the bed, I notice two little puddles of water on the frame rails directly under the rear wall, just enough to make about a 6” diameter wet spot on the pavement below each rail. ???? At first I thought it was dew run-off, as this was Florida and there was a big temperature swing night to day. Nope, nothing really on the outside of the back wall and looking at it for a few minutes there was an intermittent drip looking like it was coming from inside the wall. Uh-oh. The inside of that rear compartment was bone dry, on both sides and in the middle of the pass through, the bathroom was dry on the interior, so tearing off the rear compartment finish panels ensued. Basically, the shower was leaking from everywhere it could possibly leak, most notably from where the walls inadequately overhang the pan lip. Water gets in there and if there is any sort of a steady stream for more than few seconds, over and out it goes. Maybe 4 oz. tops per shower. Again, nothing insurmountable to fix using a backer rod and caulk, but really? This leak has to have been happening since day one, and I wouldn’t have found it had I not been parked on pavement and fussing outside at the back of the motorhome a few minutes after showering, noticing water where it shouldn’t have been.
I also have the sawdust/wire trimmings/ miscellaneous hardware collections in semi-hidden areas. Very disappointing, as all of it could have been shop vac’ed up in about a cumulative 2 minutes during the unit being assembled.
I’m still happy I bought a Sunseeker, but all the above points to some people in the design and assembly operations not proving an appropriate standard of care.
Lumpty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:38 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Duly noted. I'll pass this along to the plant manager and quality control department.

Just a side note, as a left over 2011 it could have been built in 2010. We've made some major changes to the QC checklist since then. I will make sure the proper people are aware however.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:10 PM   #3

We hear many concerns about build quality and it is unfortunate that some have had problems. I think it is also important to note the many satisfied customers. I am one of them. My Sunseeker 2300 is a year old and I am completely satisfied. I have only had a couple problems with the radio and they were quickly addressed by FR and Magnadyne. The build and fit is great. The overall quality is great. The inside was clean, including under the dinette. (Maybe this was the PDI by RVDirect) . All systems have worked as expected for the first year.

Just thought I'd share a good experience.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:08 PM   #4

Lumpty,

Sorry to hear about the the problems you have experienced with your Sunseeker. After giving our 2011 Sunseeker 2300 a good work out during last year's camping season, I am pleased to say that I have had no problems of any consequence. I did detect a slight leak from an incompletely tightened hose clamp on the fresh water supply line – something I was able to easily fix myself. I have examined every nook and cranny I can access and have found only two unattached screws – no sawdust, wire pieces, etc. Nothing (so far!) has come loose or failed to operate as it should. Overall, my wife and I have been favorably impressed with the quality of workmanship and the fit and finish of our unit. It fits our needs (multiple camping trips of a week's duration or less) perfectly.

Perhaps our unit was produced after the new check list bciemens mentions was introduced and yours was produced earlier. If so, it appears the new procedure has resulted in significant improvements in quality control.
Al Fresco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:43 PM   #5

Just a short nite about qc... I bought my 2013 sunseeker in may of this year and there was a lot of debris behind paneling and in different nooks and crannies but despite problems I have had with the unit, I am happy with it. This is my third camper and its not the first one with debris in it.
Sparkbark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:40 PM   #6

This unit was a June 2010 build, so it is most definitely an early MY 2011. As I said, I'm still very happy with the RV for the general quality of the materials and "bones" of the unit and brand. I just wanted to point out some of the quirks my particular 2300 got assembled with. At his point, 18 months and 40 nights spread over 14 trips, hopefullt we've found and be through any/all of the teething issues.
Lumpty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:11 PM   #7

While claims of "oh its old, we've made a lot of improvements" sounds sympathetic, it doesn't seem to be so. We have a 13 2960SF with poor seal virtually everywhere, particularly the 'ponds' created on the roof in the corners and around the tv antenna. The interior of the rear bumper and much of the 'iron work' added to the raw ford chassis is raw metal; partictularly the rear bumper which we use to store the dump hose; mostly stored a bit wet. I sprayed as much liquid galvanize as I could get in, but couldn't get in much than a foot. When we get home, I intend soaking a rag in liquid galvanize and drag it through the whole bumper a few times. Compounding the problems that we found was a total lack of dealer prep. Echoing the sentiments of several above, however, we like the RV and are enjoying a cross country in it now. Still....
Geri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:01 PM   #8

Guess the frame issues are not just me. Ours is a week old 2014. Went under it for a closer look, looks like it has already rusted more than some cars on the junkyard. I really should have taken a look prior to delivery. The frame extension is raw metal. I'll spray it down with ospho and spray with black rustoleam. The entire driveshaft, brake drums and A arms are rusted. Can't believe I will need to do that on a brand new one. Also, needs spray foam in a large hole underneath the floor where a wire chase comes in, it's wide open now. Without camping in it yet we have a large list for the dealer to fix, but they can't see it for at least a month. Nice huh? Needs some fiberglass repair on a hole in the gelcoat and some interior repairs. Now I know why a lot of RV owners trade every two to three years. Not sure about the longevity if this one. Really disappointed before making my first of many payments.
4Gcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:59 AM   #9

"The entire driveshaft, brake drums and A arms are rusted. Can't believe I will need to do that on a brand new one."

Your going to paint these items?
zook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:21 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Brake drums and A arms are Ford stuff...not sure why you would paint those items.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:55 AM   #11

Not going to paint any components, they are solid. I'm just going to put a coat on the short section of frame rail added by FR. Ford won't cover any of those issues with components. They said the chassis was prob. Delivered to FR with salt on it and it sat for awhile.
4Gcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:51 PM   #12

I bought mine (2013) last June in Montana. Drove it home to West Virginia. No problem except on the way a buzzer went off. I discovered the jacks leak off every now an then and you have to raze them back up.

A couple of things to mention. How the heck are you suppose to change the water filter? I had to take the inside of the compartment a part just to get to it, to loosen, to take out. Poor engineering.

The gray/black tank sewer line is very difficult to hook up to dump. Can't find the correct part to go down through the hole and than hook up my line. Poor engineering. Anybody have any ideas?

Also found a lot junk in under the seats that could have been cleaned up in a couple of minute. QC
jtrippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrippy View Post
I bought mine (2013) last June in Montana. Drove it home to West Virginia. No problem except on the way a buzzer went off. I discovered the jacks leak off every now an then and you have to raze them back up.

A couple of things to mention. How the heck are you suppose to change the water filter? I had to take the inside of the compartment a part just to get to it, to loosen, to take out. Poor engineering.

The gray/black tank sewer line is very difficult to hook up to dump. Can't find the correct part to go down through the hole and than hook up my line. Poor engineering. Anybody have any ideas?

Also found a lot junk in under the seats that could have been cleaned up in a couple of minute. QC
The hole is off in mine also but, the flex sewer hose will snake through the hole and connect with a little effort. I have made comment on another thread and I hope Thea FR will look at this design oversight.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:38 AM   #14

Quote:

Sounds like you have a leak in one of your jack systems. Leaks are not that uncommon as I have had 2 fitting leaks already. If you can't see any thing leaking externally then you have an internal leak in one of the control valves.

Yes, sewer hookup is a pain especially if you have the small hole in the compartment. I believe there was a running change in 2013 to a larger one.

You will find a lot of construction debris in any areas that are not easily visible. Take a look under your slides. I had reason to open the cab foot wells to run my satellite radio cable and found sharp debris (staples, brads, cut metal etc) mixed in with the wiring. I then went thru the whole coach removing panels and got almost half a gallon bucket of junk.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:46 AM   #15

Thanks for the reply. It is not the same jack all the time. Think I should take it to a dealer and have them check it out?
Old 05-25-2013, 09:52 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
The hole is off in mine also but, the flex sewer hose will snake through the hole and connect with a little effort. I have made comment on another thread and I hope Thea FR will look at this design oversight.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah that is what I do. To bad there is not a angle piece (like a 45 or a 33) that you can hook up and then hook it under the bottom. Pain in the &*(%.

The filter thing is what gets me the most. You just can't get to it without taking the whole panel off and then it is hard to get it out especially if it has a filter in it. You turn and yank and finally after spilling water all over the compartment, it comes out. It seems that they decided to put the filter in and then build the cabin around that area? I am going to buy a in line filter and forget about it.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Yeah that is what I do. To bad there is not a angle piece (like a 45 or a 33) that you can hook up and then hook it under the bottom. Pain in the &*(%.

The filter thing is what gets me the most. You just can't get to it without taking the whole panel off and then it is hard to get it out especially if it has a filter in it. You turn and yank and finally after spilling water all over the compartment, it comes out. It seems that they decided to put the filter in and then build the cabin around that area? I am going to buy a in line filter and forget about it.
Rhino flex makes a 45 degree clear elbow that I attached permanently. I also enlarged the hole in the compartment and put a larger deck plate in. After several of us did that, FR made a change mid-2013 to include a larger hole.

The filter is a bit difficult but I only take it out for winter and replace it in the spring. Not ideal but not too big a deal.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvBill3 View Post

Rhino flex makes a 45 degree clear elbow that I attached permanently. I also enlarged the hole in the compartment and put a larger deck plate in. After several of us did that, FR made a change mid-2013 to include a larger hole.

The filter is a bit difficult but I only take it out for winter and replace it in the spring. Not ideal but not too big a deal.
Yea they did but it is off center and you still can not use a clear 45. I made a suggestion to move the hole forward 1.5" and back 1" on another thread.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:23 PM   #19
Commercial Member

I wonder if this is a floor plan specific issue. I have a rental dealer that puts a Valterra 45 degree clear fitting and a Valterra Viper hose. Haven't heard one complaint. They run 2650, 2450, 2690, 2860, 3170

Old 05-26-2013, 08:40 AM   #20

We love, love, love our unit but have had some quality issues, too. While all fixed under warranty, it's been a pain to get to the dealer two hours away. Plus, they don't work on units on Saturdays.
Leak in the cab. We also are getting a new mattress because the original was so damaged.
The water filter casing was cracked, leaking water. Got a new one.
The slide out with the bunk had some loose screws. They were replaced and the spot re-sealed. Less than two weeks later, it came loose again and the seal is separating from the outside wall. Worried about water damage.
The black rubber seal on the outside of that same slide out keeps falling off.
We've had the unit since early April and have been camping in it at least half a dozen times. The layout is perfect for us. Love the bunks. And the conveniences of a C are even better than we imagined when we traded in our TT. Hopeful these are things that can be taken care of in just one trip without having to leave the unit there.