Old 08-09-2016, 05:46 PM   #1

Sunseeker roof design

I have a 2009 Sunseeker 2860DS Motorhome. I have decided the roof design could be a lot better, in fact I feel it's a problem. My roof is a textured plastic or fiberglass, not sure which. I like the roof material better than a rubber roof, I had one of them and they are too fragile in my opinion. What I don't like about the Sunseeker roof design is the fact that the roof has a very slight crown and on the edges there is a mating cover with the sidewall which has screws in the channel. This channel forms a water dam and if the coach is level water collects in the corners and stays there until you move or it evaporates. I recently discovered some minor delamination on the front cap. It's from water leaking in from the front corners. I know this because there is a spot on the roof in the corner, where the roofing material has delaminated from the substructure. The delamination wrinkles are on both sides of the front window directly below the corners.
I have owned this coach for over a year and this spring decided I wanted to be sure I never had a leak, so I Eternabonded over every seam on the roof. I guess the water got in sometime before I put on the Eternabond. I never saw any evidence of any water intrusion until the delamination became visible.

This post isn't a question it's just a bit of a rant. If the roof had more of a crown and had the roofing material rolling over the edge so water could not pool, this would not have happened. I will inject epoxy resin into the delamination voids and fix the problem, but this is a POOR design.
FYI

Airlift remote compressor system
Ultragauge EM Plus OBDII monitor
BendOrLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:15 PM   #2

There are a couple of ongoing threads on this subject. Not sure if the 2009 design is the same as the 2017 design though. It might be. My 2010 Solera was similar as well.

Old 08-10-2016, 10:11 AM   #3
Chief tinkerer

When we were shopping last year Jayco Greyhawk salesman was touting their roof that wrapped over the top moving this seam to the sides. I guess it is an inherent problem with the design and the industry is looking at solutions.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidyupgo View Post
When we were shopping last year Jayco Greyhawk salesman was touting their roof that wrapped over the top moving this seam to the sides. I guess it is an inherent problem with the design and the industry is looking at solutions.
I find it amazing. You would never put a roof on a house that had places that would allow for standing water. I will remedy this but it's clearly a poor design.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:14 PM   #5

I have a 2014 2860DS and plan to Eternabond all the seams on my roof this fall. I hope it isn't too late for me. I have been keeping an eye on the Dicor on the roof and so far it looks just fine. But I will sleep better after I get the Eternabond on there. I think they should come that way from the factory.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacklem View Post
I have a 2014 2860DS and plan to Eternabond all the seams on my roof this fall. I hope it isn't too late for me. I have been keeping an eye on the Dicor on the roof and so far it looks just fine. But I will sleep better after I get the Eternabond on there. I think they should come that way from the factory.
I hope yours is okay. The Dicor on my rig looked perfect, so I'm still puzzled.
Eternabond is a good solution but adds to the water standing issue. It adds additional height to the seams, but I don't know how else to be sure there is never a leak.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:59 AM   #7

You are correct - here is what I am trying at the moment - i basically filled the corners with dicor over the eternabond so water doesn't pool

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1471006750.794063.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	116987
Old 08-12-2016, 08:00 AM   #8

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1471006783.276662.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	116988

It's not pretty but I don't have another solution lol
Old 08-12-2016, 10:32 AM   #9

Ponding on what is essentially a flat roof is not necessarily an issue of concern. On buildings, it's not even defined as ponding water unless it sits there for more than 48 hours. After a rain I seriously doubt that the little ponds on our motorhome roofs lasts more than a few hours if that. What is critical obviously is the integrity of the sealant including quality of manufacturer and maintenance.

The manual states "Inspection of roof components at least twice a year, is very important to make sure seams and seals are not cracked or worn. Proper maintenance of seals is necessary to keep moisture from entering and causing severe damage such as rot, mold or mildew. If you encounter dry, cracked or weathered seals, reseal or replace as necessary. Check with your dealer for the type of caulking required for rubber roofs and correct methods of resealing or replacing. "
Old 08-12-2016, 11:21 AM   #10

This is one area where you have to "over maintain". When new I redid all the seams on our Lexi (fiberglass roof) with Dicor. All, vents, side rails, antenna, front and rear cap where they meet roof.
Over lapped the front and rear cap seams with 4" wide Eternabond, bringing it all the way down to the side rails. Eternabond in each corner, where water pools, as other posted.
Never had a leak in over 3 years.

That being said, I still get up on the roof every 2 months or so to clean and check caulk. Even Dicor, as good as it is, will still develope cracks over time that need to be cleaned and filled.
A little time and effort spent on a regular basis can save a whole bunch of problems from occurring down the road.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof, sunseeker