Old 03-04-2012, 10:09 AM   #1
Just an Engineer
Sunseeker Slides vs. No Slides

Hi everyone. I'm brand new to this forum and to RVs and we are thinking about buying a used 2007 Sunseeker 2900 LTD. The rig is in good condition with low mileage (12,000) and the price seems right but a friend raised a concern about it's length. He thinks 29' is too long for the truck frame it's built on and we would be better off with a shorter unit (e.g. 26') with one or two slides.

I think his concern is about handling, stability, and potential maintenance problems. From what I've been reading it seems the company has been offering this model since 2003 and still producing the same basic models and they even have a 31' model. I would think if there were any problems with this unit, I would see the red flags when I searched for information on the internet.

Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Thanks in advance.

New2Rvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:44 AM   #2

Welcome, I just traded in a2011, 31 foot sunseeker, for Georgetown XL. The Sunseeker handled quite well, as always with any class C, you have to be aware or Semi's and strong winds, these are items that can be minimized by proper alignment. We have friends with a 26 foot Winnebago brand who have the same issues, The framework and stand of the vehicle take getting used to.

As far as maintenance issues no more than what my Avalanche has, oil change, grease, and alignment.

Take it for a ride , then enjoy it and welcome to the fun.

We enjoyed our Sunseeker and if I were looking again for a C it would be my choice.

Bill M
2012 Georgetown XL 360
2011 Chevy Equinox - 2006 Chevy Avalanche
Bill m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:36 PM   #3
Our Sunseeker is an 04, it is labeled as a 28 foot unit but it measures 32 feet bumper to bumper, it has the living room and bedroom slides. It is on a Ford E450 frame with air bags. This frame handles the load great! I would say it handles 50 times better then our Coachman that was on the E350 Frame. I also pull a 4000 pound 7x16 enclosed trailer with no problems. One of the best investments I ever made was a Blue Ox steering stabilizer. On windy days I will also pump up the air bags, it makes for a stiff ride but it does help a lot keeping the RV from swaying in the wind gust. I also found out the hard way that when buying new tires pay attention to tread design, I bought a cheaper set and it made the camper wonder all of the road. The Firestones keep it on a nice straight path.

I guess I would say both the E450 and E350 are capable frames, I just prefer the 450. I don't think you have anything to worry about.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:03 AM   #4
We are one of the few mfg's that still build our version of the 2900 on an E450. Some other companies put that on an E350....but we never have. Since it's an LTD is may also have been built on the Chevy. I had a rental dealer that ran about (50) of that exact same unit in his fleet and he said they had zero was one of their most reliable units.

It's pretty light for that size slides to add weight.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:15 AM   #5
Just an Engineer
Thanks to everyone for the great information. We test drove the rig for a second time and it seems to handle fine on city streets and the highway. The 2900 is Ford E450. I think we are going to pull the trigger and make an offer today. The dealer mentioned that they offer EasyCare 48,000 miles/48 month warranty insurance for an additional cost. So another point to ponder.

Thanks again and I'm happy to find this great forum.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:28 PM   #6
My wife and I bought a Sunseeker 3100SS a couple years ago.

When we were looking, I was of the mind to get no larger than a 27'. That meant that the bedroom was shoved in the back corner of the RV and we weren't considering slide-outs.

My wife changed her mind (go figure) and we ended up with a 31' with a walk around bed and a "super slide" (meaning the couch and dining room slide out).

I am so glad we did. The extra room is great. As for the handling, we're on a Ford E450 and it is robust enough for our use. I'm not going to be setting any land-speed record or doing a slalem but any RV is not built for that.
MikeInColo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:17 PM   #7
Just an Engineer
We decided to purchase the 2007 Sunseeker and have already enjoyed a couple of weekend trips.

Thanks to everyone for their comments and this great forum.

2007 Forest River Sunseeker 2900 Ford E-450
Mod1: LED lighting throughout.
Mod2: Replaced C715 cargo locks

2900, 2900ltd, sunseeker, slide out