Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2014, 11:12 PM   #1

Sunseeker tire pressure monitor questions ?

We purchased a 3010 from RV direct and should pick it up sometime in early March. We will be taking a somewhat long way home to see sites/family. We may travel 3500 to 4000 miles. Therefore I'm really starting to think about a tire pressure monitoring system? My 2007 Chrysler Sebring actually has an internal monitoring system and I have actually gotten rather spoiled with it. It has alerted me on a few occasions to pressure issues that needed attention. I'm thinking that it might be a lot more important a safety feature for a motorhome with 6 tires ?

I guess I'm asking for any advice/experience/brands ? I'm also curious how these work ? Are they wireless technology ? How easy/hard to install ? I've also seen notes about the valve extenders on the rear tires. Should they be replaced ? Do pass through monitors work with extended valves ? etc... I've never owned any six wheel vehicle before ..

Thanks,

Robert
Old 02-03-2014, 05:49 AM   #2

There is a good introductory article on trailerlife.com
http://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-h...oring-systems/

I have the system by TST (tsttruck.com). I have had good experience with it and am pleased. Not to say that other systems have anything wrong with them either.

The valve extenders that come with the MH will likely need to be replaced. Mine were cheap plastic and the monitors would not screw on correctly. I changes to a braided steel type and they work with the monitors.

Basically, you program the unit to know which sensor is on which wheel (some do it automatically, some you put the unique identifier for each sensor in and tell it what wheel). The unit sits on your dash. It communicates wirelessly with the sensors. Mine shows pressure and temperature and rotates continuously through the six tires. If the pressure changes on a tire, it jumps to that one's info. You set high and low limits for pressure and temperature (the manual gives you suggestions). If a tire goes outside those limits an alarm sounds (audible and visual). Also if the tire starts losing air fast the alarm will sound even before it reaches the low limit.

The safety and peace of mind of knowing what your tires are doing can't be over stated. You are right on to be thinking about it as a priority upgrade. I would not go on the kind of trip you are talking about without having a TPMS installed.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:25 PM   #3

I have tire minder and I'd say the same thing as above. The pressures aren't perfect but it definitely warns you of changes. Which is what you need.

They are plus or minus 2 psi.
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pressure, sunseeker, tire