Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2013, 02:47 PM   #1

Sunseeker tow setting - is it important?

Newbie question again,

We have taken our new Sunseeker 3010DS on it's maiden voyage towing our Jeep Sahara. We didn't push the button for the "Tow" mode. Didn't notice anything while driving - can someone tell us what it does and do we need it?

Thanks
Old 06-01-2013, 03:42 PM   #2

Tow mode changes the way the transmission shifts to adjust to heavy loads and/or terrain. If your transmission (at cruising speed) is doing a lot of down and up shifting, tow mode will adjust the shift points. On steep hills tow mode will downshift sooner on the up hills and on down hills will use downshifting to control speed.

You don't have to use tow mode, but if you are towing, or even without towing are going up and down steep hills, try it. It may cut a little off gas mileage because of the higher rpms (shifting sooner), but improve performance and drivability.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:03 PM   #3

The Ford E450 tow mode is explained in the Ford Owners manual.

Basically, you use it on grades or hills but could be used anytime you are towing. What I found interesting it provides some Engine Braking too! So, I highly recommend you use it on all hills. You don't want to ride the brakes all the way down a hill.

Tim
trwmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:59 PM   #4

Tow/Haul for Engine Braking

Quote:
Originally Posted by trwmodela View Post
The Ford E450 tow mode is explained in the Ford Owners manual.

Basically, you use it on grades or hills but could be used anytime you are towing. What I found interesting it provides some Engine Braking too! So, I highly recommend you use it on all hills. You don't want to ride the brakes all the way down a hill.

Tim
I second Tim on the value of Tow/Haul for engine braking. It works great. Just select Tow/Haul and if the speed increases as you go down a hill, it will downshift to help hold your speed. If you use your brakes to slow down more, it will continue to downshift to help.

One thing to watch for: if you are coming to a stop and don't need the engine braking anymore, switch it back to normal. If you don't, it will continue to downshift as you slow down and the low gear ratios of second and first will stand you on your head!
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote