Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2016, 07:52 PM   #21

Monitoring as I want to do this next spring.
Old 10-07-2016, 07:43 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylilymd View Post
Out of curiosity why would you guys put it under the bed ? I just put mine in the storage bin right above the converter where the power cord comes in - I have the progressive 30 amp hardwired with the readout and in the instructions it just said to put it in line with the 30 amp power cord coming in ?

I put it under the bed because that was where the transfer switch was located and the back side of the breaker panel. The power cord from outside came in through the storage bin and then under the bed and terminated at the transfer switch.

2012 Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
Old 10-07-2016, 07:56 PM   #23

Correct, plenty of room to screw it down to the floor as well.
Pacostaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 02:44 AM   #24
Sunseeker 2400MBW

Is the same thing as a Surge Guard including a Voltage Regulator?
We are thinking of getting one of these and the 30 amp version is over $300. Trying to think of how to prevent it walking off at a RV camp site if we got one. How necessary is it??
Old 11-10-2016, 01:38 PM   #25

Nancyc7,
Not knowing what type of TT, or MH that you have, I'm guessing that it has way more than $300.00 worth of appliances and electronic devices in it. IMO they're worth protecting. I purchased a portable EMS that gives me peace of mind, and has a metal ring on the cord that you can attach a cable or chain and lock it to the power post. My 2cents worth, hope it helps.

Shaun & Michelle
2016 Sunseeker 3010DSF
Old 11-10-2016, 05:51 PM   #26

Surge protector should only be on shore power side of transfer switch. Generators use a ground neutral bonding and not compatible with surge protector. This is explained in the directions for surge Guard. the forest river tech is correct. . At least this has what I have been told and my directions also said in black and white do not put it between generator and coach.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 07:26 PM   #27
Chief tinkerer

Phelpo, our Progressive energy management is plug in, sorry.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 02:35 AM   #28
Sunseeker 2400MBW

Well, I think we are going the get the gray box voltage regulator / surge protector. I really don't mind paying $400 for this, just don't know how necessary it is (sounds very valuable vs blowing out all the appliances) and don't want it stolen. About my relative's garage, we were plugged in and blowing a fuse in their garage. For some reason with my SIL's voltage regulator thingie, we all worked well together. My husband thinks we wanto buy this $400 thing and chop the lines off and rewire it to live inside the motor home.
I know I am kinda gadget crazy. I now have a burning desire for a fiber optic camera to look inside the black and gray water tanks. I already have an iPhone and the cameras are ... readily available.
Old 11-17-2016, 06:24 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlm17 View Post
Surge protector should only be on shore power side of transfer switch. Generators use a ground neutral bonding and not compatible with surge protector. This is explained in the directions for surge Guard. the forest river tech is correct. . At least this has what I have been told and my directions also said in black and white do not put it between generator and coach.

Mine is after the transfer switch and I have used it on shore power and generator for over three years. Never a problem. I couldn't find anything in the directions that said it shouldn't be so.

Old 11-17-2016, 10:31 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvBill3 View Post
Mine is after the transfer switch and I have used it on shore power and generator for over three years. Never a problem. I couldn't find anything in the directions that said it shouldn't be so.

I agree. This is the first mod done on my motorhome. My PI came with instructions to wire it either before or after the transfer switch. Mine is after as well and has worked this way for a few months.
Old 11-17-2016, 11:52 PM   #31

Let me expand. It is possible to use your surge protector after transfer switch. You may however experience problems due to the way a generator is grounded as it uses some type of open neutral aka the generator is not ground neutral bonded like shore power. Anyway I was told this may cause your surge protector to indicate an open neutral condition if there is a hesitation in transfer switch. As I understood it the generator poses very little risk that a surge protector would be needed . the risk is from the shore power and connecting it prior to transfer switch protects the transfer switch. It was recommended to me to connect prior to transfer switch. Does that make it right or wrong I haven't a clue. Over my head I just did it the way it was recommended. Maybe someone with some electrical background can chime in and give an opinion. Sounds like both may work but maybe one way is preferred or maybe not. I don't know.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 06:43 AM   #32

Connecting before the transfer switch will protect that switch from shore power surges. Connecting after that switch will not. However connecting after provides some advantages when running on generator. First, a real time readout of what the generator is doing and what kind of load is on it. When on generator, I monitor amp draw when using air conditioning, microwave, coffee pot, etc. to make sure I am not overloading generator. Granted, the likely result would be a circuit breaker tripping, but I can avoid those problems. Also, when the generator starts, it takes a few minutes to stabilize and produce proper voltage, amps, Hertz. My surge protector refuses to let power pass to the coach until everything is within safe range. Surges are not the only thing it protects against. Brown outs can be just as damaging to some equipment.

I think it comes down to a personal choice. I chose to risk the transfer switch in favor of protecting the coach equipment from any electrical irregularities no matter the source of the power. But to say it won't work after the transfer switch is not true, at least in my case, it works fine.

Tags
class c, forester, sunseeker