Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2014, 02:41 PM   #1

Surge Protector Installation on Sunseeker/ Forester Class C Only

Who has hard wired a surge protector in your class C
motor home, and where did you install it?

I have had progressive surges in both of my
previous motor homes and both were hard wired.

They both were wired into the cable, I'm hoping
there is enough room in the cable area to this
type of install.

Thanks for your replies.

Phelpo
phelpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:54 PM   #2

Our 2450 has one wired right under the bed attached to the center post on the bed frame. So far so good.
markangie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:35 PM   #3

Installed mine same place the cord is stored on my Solera.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:13 PM   #4

I cut the power cord in the ele. compartment and put a plug on one end and a receptacle on the other and plug into the surge protector there. Was easy to do and works well for me.
Days Camped 2014. 89
DangerCliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:42 PM   #5

I have the Progressive Industries power protection portable unit. My Sunseeker is a '13 where the electrical cord is in a storage compartment. I plug the cord into the power protector and leave it in the compartment. Then run an extension cord from the pedestal to the compartment. Advantage is the power protector is out of sight. Just a thought if your cord setup is like mine. Not a fan of FR moving to an external plug in cord as my plan wouldn't work.
'94 Coleman Cedar Pop Up
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:16 AM   #6

I hard wired my unit under the bed. The transfer switch is there (shore/generator switch). I wired it after the transfer switch so I have protection for either shore power or generator. The unit has a remote display which I mounted on the face of the bed below the circuit breaker panel. There was enough slack in the wire coming out of the transfer switch to cut it and use it in and out of the unit. Mounted to the metal bed frame.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:41 AM   #7

I hear you Bill, but with my other units with
a display, when I plugged into power, I watched
the progressive unit go thru its analysis. Of
course these were a 50 amp setup.

In thinking about it I might just go with a
portable that can be locked to the power
tower.

Phelpo
phelpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:41 PM   #8

The remote display on mine shows everything. There are no lights, display, etc. on the unit itself. Remote display also has a bypass switch on it in case unit fails and you want to have power on anyway.

This is what I have: Progressive 30 AMP Hardwire Surge Protector EMS-HW30C With Remote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:42 PM   #9

We have a 2013 2860 and put ours under the bed..see photos..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0428.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	47437   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0429.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	47438  
Wildkats66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:51 PM   #10

I bought a similar unit for my sun seeker based on your post. It also has an external readout. My question is I want to install after the transfer switch also. When looking at the switch there are 3 wires coming into it. One from the shore power, one from the generator I am suspecting based on where it is connected and where it runs and one that goes directly to the breaker panel. The surge should go between the breaker panel and the transfer switch is this correct?
Pacostaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacostaco View Post
I bought a similar unit for my sun seeker based on your post. It also has an external readout. My question is I want to install after the transfer switch also. When looking at the switch there are 3 wires coming into it. One from the shore power, one from the generator I am suspecting based on where it is connected and where it runs and one that goes directly to the breaker panel. The surge should go between the breaker panel and the transfer switch is this correct?

That is correct. The wire from my transfer switch to the breaker panel had lots of slack in it, so I cut it about a foot out of the transfer switch and fed that into the Progressive unit, then used the other end to connect to the output of the Progressive unit. Didn't need to disconnect or rewire anything at the transfer switch or breaker panel--and didn't need to supply any extra wire.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:35 AM   #12

Thanks I know exactly what to do now. Always good to get confirmation.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:56 PM   #13

Hi guys,
I have Prism 24G and want install EMS HW 30A.
Prism have receptacle as transfer switch, plug in shore power cable and use generator power, unplug shore power cable and plug at camp power box get commercial power.
EMS will be install in shore power cable and in case using one of each power sources I will be protected.
My question is, do I need install additional transfer switch or I can do that function plug in/plug out shore power cable from that receptacle by myself.
Thank you for suggestions or instructions.
Prism 24G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:05 PM   #14

On our present unit a 2012 2300 I just put our hard wired unit on the wall in the storage unit where the cable enters the MH.
tlf65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:42 AM   #15

Subscribing to this thread as I am interested in the Progressive Industries surge protector as well. I considered putting it in the basement compartment where the power cord is but will investigate putting it under the bed where it can protect the shore power and generator power.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:53 AM   #16

We have a 2013 Sunseeker 2300 and like others have the portable surge protector in the storage compartment and run an extention cord. I did this so I would not have to buy another surge protector when/if we purchase another MH.
lexstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 07:27 PM   #17

I have been meaning to do this so thanks for the pics.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:01 PM   #18

I put it under the bed it's an easy install. In doing so I can tell you that you can't protect the generator Power as well. It can only be installed on shore Power side as per forest river tech.
Old 10-01-2016, 04:57 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacostaco View Post
I put it under the bed it's an easy install. In doing so I can tell you that you can't protect the generator Power as well. It can only be installed on shore Power side as per forest river tech.

I've had mine installed for over 2 years. It is between the transfer switch and the breaker panel (see post above). It protects both the shore power and generator power sources. Not sure why someone would say you can't protect the generator side. Like real estate--it's all about location location location.

The only part of the 110v system not protected is the transfer switch itself. I accept that risk in favor of having protection from a faulty generator that may output under or over voltage and ruin air conditioning, etc.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:38 PM   #20

Out of curiosity why would you guys put it under the bed ? I just put mine in the storage bin right above the converter where the power cord comes in - I have the progressive 30 amp hardwired with the readout and in the instructions it just said to put it in line with the 30 amp power cord coming in ?
skylilymd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c, forester, sunseeker