Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2014, 11:01 AM   #1

Swaying in the Wind

So what seems to be the general solution to cure some of the wind swaying on the 3170 sized motorhomes? I'll admit a 30+ mph side wind I fully expect some swaying but WOW, is this thing a handful.

It drives exactly like a sailboat with too small of a rudder. Right, Left, right, left.....

I've followed all the tips on here about tire pressures and air bags etc but really nothing helps at all.

Do most of you upgrade the front stabilizer or add the TruCenter to the front?
howzball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 11:17 AM   #2

I have a 3171 forester and I have not had any wind issues. I didn't do anything to the motorhome except fill up the airbags. When a truck passes me I can feel it, wind might make the RV sway a bit but nothing I have been uncomfortable with so far. Maybe I'm just lucky. I had a 30 foot toy hauler previously and have not noticed anything different in the wind compared to that.
motodude79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:28 PM   #3

I guess the issue is I don't have anything to compare it to so maybe white knuckle rides are the normal thing with class C motorhomes.
I've driven school buses and dump trucks but they were nothing like this. Must be the heavier duty chassis on those vehicles improved the ride.

I will say that I'm betting as much sway is there is on my particular MH that tire wear must be super high. I feel like I'm a race driver scrubbing the tires before a re-start.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:23 PM   #4

I also fund that the driving experience was a handful in windy conditions or with semis-truck passing. I installed a SAFE-T-PLUS (http://www.safe-t-plus.com) steering stabilizer and it improved my driving experience incredibly. I strongly recommend it.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
martsunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:31 PM   #5

We had our new Forester 2651 out this past weekend. We drove 70-80 miles with 35+mph cross winds. It was not fun but this was my first experience driving a motor home. I didn't feel in any danger but was extremely tired at the end of the day! My air bags were at 70psi for a lightly loaded unit. I slowed it down and it was better but still a challenge.
Gilm2113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 11:35 PM   #6

After some reading I think we'll give the Safe T Plus stabilizer a try as well and see how that works.
It's not too costly of an investment and I can't see any reason why it wouldn't help, something has to.

My shoulders and neck are still sore from yesterday's 160 mile drive.

I talked to someone at a rest stop yesterday who was driving a 40' diesel pusher and they were having issues with the wind too. I could deal with some wind but clenching up every time a truck passes us is more than I can deal with.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:53 PM   #7

It is a complete different animal than when I had our Dually and 39' fiver then driving the motorhome. learned that slowing down to 65 made a big difference. Cant speak for the class "C" MH. Its a balancing act in getting tire pressure, load and driving looking further forward than normal. Any strong side winds will make for a hard day driving. Goodluck and safe travels.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 12:54 PM   #8

Are you sure it's not caused by the front end alignment? Do you have any heavy steering or bump steer on undulating road surfaces? It should handle and feel pretty much like a car. For my coach correct alignment made a world of difference. Wind causes the coach to lean which yields the same result from the front end geometry as uneven road surfaces. Search the forum for alignment specs that Brian posted which seem to work well for people.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 02:28 PM   #9

Swaying

I had the same issue, installed a Roadmaster steering stabilizer and got the front end aligned, it was amazing how much difference it made. Good luck.
Six Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 06:15 PM   #10

Had the same issue. Load the motorhome as if you are taking a trip. Even some water. Air bags to 70 psi. Tire pressure correct based on the door sticker not the tires. Then drive to a local alignment shop that specializes in medium duty trucks and get an alignment. Mine drives like a car now!
rbetzwieser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 06:41 PM   #11

I'm not going to say it's not the front end alignment but what I can say is that in a low to no wind drive the thing is fine.

If the front was out of align wouldn't it tend to pull right or left all the time?
I assume we take these to the Ford dealer for alignment?
Old 12-02-2014, 09:11 PM   #12

Mine did not pull left or right. It just wondered.. Alignment to specs stopped the wondering. Do plan other chassis upgrades but alignment to spec is first.

Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:13 PM   #13

Same here. Mine just wondered.
rbetzwieser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 02:39 PM   #14

My front end was out far enough that the cam bushings had to be replaced, Forest River paid for everything. From what I understand Ford does an alignment at the factory and then ships the chassis to Forest River, after the work is completed the extra weight makes it necessary to re-align the front end.
Six Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 02:02 AM   #15

I'm in the process of correcting this issue myself. I just finished putting HD shocks and a new steering stabilizer on my Sunseeker and I've got the alignment scheduled for Tuesday at a truck shop. I've only done two trips in my unit and I was pooping bricks everything something larger than a Tahoe passed me, it was wandering back and forth and after a 5 hour trip I felt terrible in the shoulders and back. I have high hopes for this alignment.
Mike968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 02:08 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by howzball View Post
I'm not going to say it's not the front end alignment but what I can say is that in a low to no wind drive the thing is fine.

If the front was out of align wouldn't it tend to pull right or left all the time?
I assume we take these to the Ford dealer for alignment?
The issue is with the caster; not enough and the unit wanders, too much and it's a dog to steer. Some alignment specs have unofficially been posted here by a FR rep. Supposedly they work, I'll find out next week.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:34 AM   #17

I was amazed with just the alignment. Planning a re-alignment as well as a steering stabilize replacement. I think you will be happy and your shoulders will feel better. Let us know the results.

Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 10:25 AM   #18

I'm going to look into the stabilizer also but I do need the alignment
I'm having trouble finding the specs on the search that were posted by Brian Clemons
Any help on that link please
Thanks,
Dutch
'93 Coleman pop ups (I'm Dad)
'04 Fleetwood Jamboree 26q
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
trdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 11:34 AM   #19

Here you go
http://http://www.forestriverforums....0-a-23902.html
Old 12-14-2014, 08:59 PM   #20

Previous link didn't work, something about me being a retard...

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...0-a-23902.html

Tags
sway