Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2017, 06:04 PM   #1

Switch on driver's seat

There is a switch with a battery on it, located on the side of the drivers seat. What is it for? We must have missed the explanation of this.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:13 PM   #2
Site Team

That is probably the switch that allows you to use the "house" 12VDC batteries to start the chassis engine if the chassis 12VDC battery is dead. It activates relays to allow the "house" side to connect to the chassis side. A self contained jump start system is the best description.
RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:27 PM   #3

Interesting, we didn't get any brochures or info. How do you use it?
Old 03-21-2017, 07:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoubelle View Post
Just hold it down and turn the ignition switch to start. As soon as you release the button, the interconnecting relay drops out.

Normally, the coach's Battery Control Center will engage the same relay so the coach system can charge the chassis battery, or the chassis system can charge the coach batteries when the engine is running.

Since it connects the chassis battery to the coach battery, the current can flow either way. You can also use it to start the generator if your coach batteries are too low.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Just hold it down and turn the ignition switch to start. As soon as you release the button, the interconnecting relay drops out.

Normally, the coach's Battery Control Center will engage the same relay so the coach system can charge the chassis battery, or the chassis system can charge the coach batteries when the engine is running.

Since it connects the chassis battery to the coach battery, the current can flow either way. You can also use it to start the generator if your coach batteries are too low.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:30 PM   #6

Quote:

----------------
OOPS, sorry. I don't know why it posted twice.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:36 PM   #7

Thanks, great to know.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:35 PM   #8

Well, did not know it would start the genny. Thank you.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
Well, did not know it would start the genny. Thank you.
I am with you Garrette,,, I never heard that before !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 02:34 PM   #10

Using the battery booster switch on the driver’s seat to start the generator with dead coach batteries requires two people, of course: one at the booster switch and one at the generator start switch. If you are alone, you can probably start the chassis engine and go back to start the generator.
The Battery Control Center automatically connects the chassis and coach 12 volt systems, but there is a short time delay so you may have to wait a minute or two. If the load is too much and the system voltage drops, the BCC de-energizes the interconnecting relay. In other words, if it takes so much current to recharge the coach battery that the chassis alternator can’t keep up, it won’t drain the chassis system. I have successfully started the chassis engine and then the generator several times when the coach batteries were completely drained.
Please be aware that I am talking about the way the BCC works on our 2011 year model Sunseeker. Forest River has changed vendors for the BCC system at least once, and maybe twice, since ours was built. I think they work generally the same, but I can’t say for sure.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post
Using the battery booster switch on the driver’s seat to start the generator with dead coach batteries requires two people, of course: one at the booster switch and one at the generator start switch. If you are alone, you can probably start the chassis engine and go back to start the generator.
The Battery Control Center automatically connects the chassis and coach 12 volt systems, but there is a short time delay so you may have to wait a minute or two. If the load is too much and the system voltage drops, the BCC de-energizes the interconnecting relay. In other words, if it takes so much current to recharge the coach battery that the chassis alternator can’t keep up, it won’t drain the chassis system. I have successfully started the chassis engine and then the generator several times when the coach batteries were completely drained.
Please be aware that I am talking about the way the BCC works on our 2011 year model Sunseeker. Forest River has changed vendors for the BCC system at least once, and maybe twice, since ours was built. I think they work generally the same, but I can’t say for sure.
Great Info Rambler !!!
Old 03-24-2017, 09:36 AM   #12

Hopefully it isn't the "self destruct" switch... lol

Old 03-25-2017, 09:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semperfi24 View Post
Hopefully it isn't the "self destruct" switch... lol
H,,, maybe it is a Auto Eject Switch !!!
For when you're DW is doing to much other set driving ???

Tags
switch