Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2013, 04:17 PM   #1

Tail Light Seal

In the last two days I have had to replace three bulbs due to water getting into the tail light covers....Do they not put seals around these covers to stop water from entering.....One was even missing a screw...
NCIC105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:45 PM   #2

Mine was doing the same thing. The rubber is too hard where the lens meets it. I took some roof sealer, and just put a little bit on the top half of each lens cover. It has solved the problem so far.
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:47 PM   #3

Others may have a better solution. One guy told me to use a little Saran Wrap in the groove.

I just used the clear roof sealer. I hope it doesn't make it too hard to get off.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:03 PM   #4

Mine did not even have a rubber seal.....Just plastic to plastic
Old 08-06-2013, 07:53 PM   #5

I had the same problem during a trip. All I had was some bulb grease which I put along the top of the lenses. Seemed to solve the problem. Plan to use some greased string in the top half groove as a better long term fix. In that way any water that leaks in should flow out the bottom. The problem as I see it is water leaks in then accumulates if it doesn't leak out. When traveling down the road the water splashes around and quenches the hot bulb and cracks it.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:36 PM   #6

Agreed.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:43 PM   #7

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Is the cover upside down. My scare light had a burnt out light. Removed the cover, changed the bulb and a few weeks later, noticed water was behind the lens. Found that I had put the drain hold on top. Used a little silicone sealant on top of the gasket before reinstalling the second time.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:52 PM   #8
Commercial Member

NCIC105...lol, that was me over on the Facebook page too. All of these sound like great ideas. We get those from bargeman and they tell me the same thing...make sure the weep hole is not plugged or turned the wrong way. A little grease in the top section would work too.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:09 PM   #9

Same thing on a previous Surveyor I had. The lens became a little warped and let water in at the top, blowing out the hot bulb when it rained. I put a strip of white electrical tape across the top. Didn't look too bad, and it was easy to get off if I ever needed to replace the bulb -- which I did not after applying the tape.

The new Surveyor has the same tail lights but it has a piece along the top of it that seems to be designed to keep water out if the lens bows. Same problem, different solution.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:02 PM   #10

Quote "..make sure the weep hole is not plugged or turned the wrong way."

Hmmm, my light covers have no weep holes. Guess I'll have to make one.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:05 PM   #11
Commercial Member

That's the spirit.

I have to confess. I didn't look myself. I asked engineering. Guess ill go take one off.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:19 PM   #12

Mine also did not have weep holes.....I think I will place a small line of silicone across the top of the lens...Should be easy enough to remove when the bulb wears out, and needs replaced.

Tags
light