Old 09-10-2015, 09:45 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRollingRoadblock View Post
Captain Skip, I do think the article is right on about the amber signals the U.S. is very slow at adapting new methods, especially in the trucking industry. Example being the use of disk brakes on heavy trucks. They have been in use in Europe for, and I believe required, for 15+ years. Here they are still a novelty.

Here in the NW the fuel haulers have pretty much switched to the Amber signals and are using the strobe type also. I can hear the fleet managers scream if they had to spend $150 more per trailer for Amber turn signals. If they had their way we would still be running one single tail light in the center.

As to the Bargman lights in question they are a combo tail/turn/stop. Amazon.com: Bargman 47-84-410 Red LED Upgrade Kit for #84/#85/#86 Series Stop/Tail/Turn Light: Automotive
Federal law allows only red for the tail/stop. I have scratched my head trying to figure out on how to put in a Amber turn but without reinventing the wheel I will stick with what Forest River gave me.

Looking at the light setup, it looks like it would take a total of 3 LED modules per side. One for stop/running, one for turn and one for backup lights.

Looking at the photo of the rear of my rig I answered my earlier question...I don't have LED lights so I feel a mod coming on!

If it is indeed 3 modules it should just be a matter of installing the amber module in the space for the turn signal. Someone who has installed these please chime in here.

2015 Forester 2301 - Chevy
Skip & Deb - Bridgewater, NH & Delray Beach, FL
Forester Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:47 AM   #32
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by RvBill3 View Post
I can only speak from my experience. I changed all 4 tail/stop/turn lights on rear with Bargman's replacement modules as shown above. The turn signals flash the same as they did before. I don't know if Bargman included something in the replacement modules to assure that or not. They are marketed as upgrades to existing lights, and the way they install (remove old bulb and insert bulb-like adapter into existing socket) it is clear they were engineered for just this application--upgrading to LED.

2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
I changed complete fixtures and added 2 more with Bargman on trailer, then changed out the trucks with complete units and projection type headlights...those came with load resisters, but had to change out flasher because of the LEDs lack of draw.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:48 AM   #33

Quote:
Attachment 85810

I added LED taillights and backup lights. These come from Bargman (the original manufacturer). They have an adapter that looks like the base of the original light bulb. Remove lens, take bulb out and put adapter into socket. Put LED module in place of original lens.

They are very bright and much safer. I replaced them after nearly getting rear-ended on the interstate when stopped for a crash in front of me. Had flashers on, but they weren't nearly as bright as the LEDs.

Order on Amazon.

I'm assuming the Forester uses the same taillights as the Sunseeker seeing that they're coming down the same assembly line. Just wanted to double check before I ordered them.

Here's what mine look like - RvBill - do these look the same as what was on your Sunseeker? I've got a 2015 Forester 2301 on a Chevy.

Old 09-10-2015, 01:12 PM   #34

Quote:
Captain Skip, I do think the article is right on about the amber signals the U.S. is very slow at adapting new methods, especially in the trucking industry. Example being the use of disk brakes on heavy trucks. They have been in use in Europe for, and I believe required, for 15+ years. Here they are still a novelty.

Here in the NW the fuel haulers have pretty much switched to the Amber signals and are using the strobe type also. I can hear the fleet managers scream if they had to spend $150 more per trailer for Amber turn signals. If they had their way we would still be running one single tail light in the center.

As to the Bargman lights in question they are a combo tail/turn/stop. Amazon.com: Bargman 47-84-410 Red LED Upgrade Kit for #84/#85/#86 Series Stop/Tail/Turn Light: Automotive
Federal law allows only red for the tail/stop. I have scratched my head trying to figure out on how to put in a Amber turn but without reinventing the wheel I will stick with what Forest River gave me.
If I read everything correctly, it looks like this is the module needed for the amber LED. http://www.amazon.com/Bargman-47-84-...0_SR160%2C160_

Old 09-10-2015, 06:03 PM   #35

LED's are great until some of them quit working.
Then they look like crap.
My new 2016 had a gap in the top caulking allowing water intrusion into the capsule.
Water built up in the lower quadrant and blew out about 12 LED's.
Warranty time.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:53 PM   #36
2012 Solera

Amber for turn signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Skip View Post
If I read everything correctly, it looks like this is the module needed for the amber LED. http://www.amazon.com/Bargman-47-84-...0_SR160%2C160_
I just checked on our 2012 Solera. Both non-backup lights flash on turn signal. Suspect both on each side (all four) also light for stop. Separating the turn signal for the amber LED module may be an issue.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 02:26 AM   #37

Quote:
If I read everything correctly, it looks like this is the module needed for the amber LED. Amazon.com: Bargman 47-84-412 Amber LED Upgrade Kit for #84/#85/#86 Series Turn Light: Automotive
Looking at the picture you posted I bet that you have combo tail/turn/stop. You would have to somehow separate the stop/tail portion and get the turn on its own circuit. or you will have amber stop lights. Your setup appears to be the same as on my '07 Sunseeker.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:33 AM   #38

Quote:
I'm assuming the Forester uses the same taillights as the Sunseeker seeing that they're coming down the same assembly line. Just wanted to double check before I ordered them.

Here's what mine look like - RvBill - do these look the same as what was on your Sunseeker? I've got a 2015 Forester 2301 on a Chevy.

Your Forester lights look identical to what I originally had on my Sunseeker. What I posted above will make yours look like the photo I posted.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:44 AM   #39

Quote:
Looking at the picture you posted I bet that you have combo tail/turn/stop. You would have to somehow separate the stop/tail portion and get the turn on its own circuit. or you will have amber stop lights. Your setup appears to be the same as on my '07 Sunseeker.
Quote:
Your Forester lights look identical to what I originally had on my Sunseeker. What I posted above will make yours look like the photo I posted.

OK thanks for the info. When I get back to my rig I'll have to fire up the 4 ways and see what flashes and what doesn't. Hopefully the brake and signal lights are separate, if not then I'll go all red.

Old 09-18-2015, 06:28 PM   #40

Got back to my rig and checked - I've got the combo tail/turn/stop lights. Both red lights flash with the signal light/4 way flasher. Is there an easy way to make the brake lights work separate from the signal lights or would it be a major rewiring job?

Tags
light