Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2017, 07:48 PM   #1

Tail pipe for Guardian RV Generator (By Generac)

Hi All,

I have a 2008 Sunseeker 3100SS with a Guardian RV (by Generac) generator. Recently the tail pipe came off and is lost somewhere roadside.

I've been searching around but the part is discontinued by Generac, no longer sold online anywhere, and is not in stock with any Generac service centers.

Has anyone ever had to replace this tail pipe? Are there alternatives from other brands that might fit? At this point I'm trying to find a metal fabricator that can make me a replacement, but this is far from a convenient exercise.

Here's a link to the part:
Generac 0E0683A Tailpipe For QP40 RV Generators 1-1/4-Inch, 16-Inch Run

Thanks,
Jared
JaredK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 06:22 PM   #2
Site Team

An automotive muffler shop, that does custom exhaust systems, ought to be able to quickly fab up a replacement...
Old 02-10-2017, 06:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
An automotive muffler shop, that does custom exhaust systems, ought to be able to quickly fab up a replacement...
This is what I'd do.

Perhaps a custom muffler to keep it sane....

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=...QvhcIIA&adurl=

Old 02-10-2017, 08:33 PM   #4

Thanks for the feedback. I've talked to a few muffler shops and they don't seem to work with less than 1 3/4" tubing, while the generator tail pipe is 1".

The tricky part is that it's originally designed with a swaged end (expanded) to fit over the 1" nipple on the generator, then it's clamped on. I assume this is done as opposed to welding in order to keep it removable and serviceable.

I actually ended up with a Forest River part number, so I'm looking now to see if that's available through my local dealer. I didn't think of it as a Forest River part originally, so I was only looking for the Generac part number I found in the manual.

*fingers crossed*

Thanks,
Jared
Old 02-10-2017, 08:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredK View Post
Hi All,

I have a 2008 Sunseeker 3100SS with a Guardian RV (by Generac) generator. Recently the tail pipe came off and is lost somewhere roadside.

I've been searching around but the part is discontinued by Generac, no longer sold online anywhere, and is not in stock with any Generac service centers.

Has anyone ever had to replace this tail pipe? Are there alternatives from other brands that might fit? At this point I'm trying to find a metal fabricator that can make me a replacement, but this is far from a convenient exercise.

Here's a link to the part:
Generac 0E0683A Tailpipe For QP40 RV Generators 1-1/4-Inch, 16-Inch Run

Thanks,
Jared
Could you make this work? Cut off what you do not need

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-44812-D...r+exhaust+pipe
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 09:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
Could you make this work? Cut off what you do not need

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-44812-D...r+exhaust+pipe
That actually looks really good. Like you said, just trim the length, then probably cut some grooves on the swaged end to allow to flex (for clamping) and it could be a winner.

I'm going to see what my dealer responds with, but if they don't have the OEM pipe, that Camco is about as good an alternative that I could ask for.

Thanks for finding that Silver!

Thanks,
Jared
Old 02-11-2017, 05:09 AM   #7

How about a lawnmower shop, they deal with smaller diameter exhaust systems.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:34 PM   #8

I tried that exact part and it was too big where it fits on the gen exhaust. If you try it be sure and order the clamp cause it needs to be small. I wasn't happy with the results and left it off. Maybe get back to it this spring.
'
hikerpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:28 AM   #9

We almost lost our generator tailpipe when the vehicle was new, heard it dragging and pulled over. The clamp and strap were very loose. Good luck with your search, surely there is something out there for you!
Old 02-12-2017, 12:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredK View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I've talked to a few muffler shops and they don't seem to work with less than 1 3/4" tubing, while the generator tail pipe is 1".

The tricky part is that it's originally designed with a swaged end (expanded) to fit over the 1" nipple on the generator, then it's clamped on. I assume this is done as opposed to welding in order to keep it removable and serviceable.

I actually ended up with a Forest River part number, so I'm looking now to see if that's available through my local dealer. I didn't think of it as a Forest River part originally, so I was only looking for the Generac part number I found in the manual.

*fingers crossed*

Thanks,
Jared
1.25" pipe is pretty standard in the frnce industry. They can bend what you need. I bent one for a Snapper mower. Also check chain auto stores for pre bent
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:45 AM   #11

You can buy stainless steel 1in.( one inch) flex exhaust pipe from Napa , part number 40000 cost is $1.80 per foot. you can bend it by hand to any shape you want. You can also get it in 1.25 in .
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator