Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2016, 12:46 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Ang21
Taillight

16 Sunseeker
Ang21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:48 PM   #2

I have had one replased 4 times for condensatio (that cant be good!)
Old 06-20-2016, 01:47 PM   #3
Love My Sunseeker

I have had the same one replaced three times at a Ford dealer, the Ford dealer thought I had electrical problems. Didn't occur to me it might be condensation.

Sunseeker 2013.

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 05:24 AM   #4

We just had both of our's replaced ,last week. Poor sealing around the lens from the factory. One leaked , both replaced.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman53 View Post
We just had both of our's replaced ,last week. Poor sealing around the lens from the factory. One leaked , both replaced.
So it appears that one of the first things I should do when I get my new 2250SLE is seal up these lights!

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 06:04 PM   #6

I smel RECALL
Old 06-22-2016, 12:45 AM   #7

We had one of ours replaced on our 3171DS. It had condensation in it from the factory and CW replaced it under warranty. Guess we better keep an eye on these tail lights for future problems.
2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 08:43 AM   #8
Class C Representative

There will not be a Recall on the taillights. There has to be an actual failure with the mechanism itself. I'll pass it on to our Production manager that our taillights need to be sealed better!
PLEASE do not send questions via Profile comments or Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Cavitt View Post
There will not be a Recall on the taillights. There has to be an actual failure with the mechanism itself. I'll pass it on to our Production manager that our taillights need to be sealed better!
They are relying on the foam seal that comes with the lamp assembly.
Mine had 2 screws holding the clear lense to the large lense assembly.
This was the source of my leak- water entered through the clear lense and shorted out the LED's.
I was sent a new unit and it had 3 screws on the backup clear lense- much better but not enough- I sealed the whole unit with clear silicone. (round clear lense seals with a small o-ring only from the factory).
No problems now.- been through heavy rain driving and sitting.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:52 PM   #10

Not to hijack but where is the fuse for the marker, tag and tail lights.
2014 3170 Ford E450. I have looked in owners manual, online. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 01:34 PM   #11

The only tail light issue I have is that one light goes through bulbs like crazy.
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:19 PM   #12

Taillight

For info. On my 2014 3170 E450 Sunseeker, The Tail, tag, clearance and park lights are fused in the fuse panel, left side of steering wheel, back at the firewall, directly behind the emergency brake. It is fuse #22. 15amp.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 10:01 AM   #13

After washing our 2016 2250 yesterday, I noted moisture in both LED taillights. Upon investigation, I found:

Right unit: Backup light lens has 4 screws, gasket has adhesive backing.
Problem: Backing paper not removed for installation.
Fix: removed backing paper, installed gasket properly.

Left unit: Backup light lens has 2 screws even though lamp has bosses/holes for 4 screws, gasket has NO adhesive backing.
Problem: Gasket was not properly seated, parts of the gasket were inside the lamp, others were part way out of the lamp. In short, it looks like they tossed the gasket in the hole, & screwed the lens in place.
Fix: swap lenses side to side - place 2 hole lens on right side where the gasket has the adhesive backing. The two hole lens didn't have a guide ring for the gasket - the seating surface was flat. The 4 hole lens has a small flange to hold the gasket in place. I added a small amount of adhesive to the seating surface on the lense, let it dry a bit and installed the deformed gasket. This held it in place & allowed it to be installed in the lamp. This was after twiddling for an hour pushing a wick to the bottom between the red lens and black backing after prying it out a bit, and then blowing air in to move the puddle of water in the bottom to the wick. I had a teaspoon of water in the assembly to remove...

Both should be fairly water-tight now. I'll keep an eye on both during the next wash and after rain.

I'd think the lens assemblies were assembled at the taillight factory rather than on the Forest River assembly line, so these would be the taillight manufacturer's faults.

There are so many little things like this that I've spent the last 6 months fixing and improving, many things that could have gone back to the dealer to fix, but I'd rather do it myself to make it right, and not waste time dickering with the dealer on little things.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucemc View Post
After washing our 2016 2250 yesterday, I noted moisture in both LED taillights. Upon investigation, I found:

Right unit: Backup light lens has 4 screws, gasket has adhesive backing.
Problem: Backing paper not removed for installation.
Fix: removed backing paper, installed gasket properly.

Left unit: Backup light lens has 2 screws even though lamp has bosses/holes for 4 screws, gasket has NO adhesive backing.
Problem: Gasket was not properly seated, parts of the gasket were inside the lamp, others were part way out of the lamp. In short, it looks like they tossed the gasket in the hole, & screwed the lens in place.
Fix: swap lenses side to side - place 2 hole lens on right side where the gasket has the adhesive backing. The two hole lens didn't have a guide ring for the gasket - the seating surface was flat. The 4 hole lens has a small flange to hold the gasket in place. I added a small amount of adhesive to the seating surface on the lense, let it dry a bit and installed the deformed gasket. This held it in place & allowed it to be installed in the lamp. This was after twiddling for an hour pushing a wick to the bottom between the red lens and black backing after prying it out a bit, and then blowing air in to move the puddle of water in the bottom to the wick. I had a teaspoon of water in the assembly to remove...

Both should be fairly water-tight now. I'll keep an eye on both during the next wash and after rain.

I'd think the lens assemblies were assembled at the taillight factory rather than on the Forest River assembly line, so these would be the taillight manufacturer's faults.

There are so many little things like this that I've spent the last 6 months fixing and improving, many things that could have gone back to the dealer to fix, but I'd rather do it myself to make it right, and not waste time dickering with the dealer on little things.
Double check the led array after the fix.
My left lower one had about 1/2 blown out.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Loss View Post
Double check the led array after the fix.
My left lower one had about 1/2 blown out.
So far all is fine. I checked the day I made the repair, and again a couple days after. We're headed out for a 3 day road trip (geocaching, hot springing, sight seeing - Painted hills/Alvord desert/Steens, etc) and will check the lights just prior to departure.

RV On! (Cache On! Soak On! Truck On!)

Tags
light