Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2013, 02:19 PM   #1

Tech Question ?

For outside winter storage I have removed the coach batteries, & store them in my basement on Battery Tenders.
My question is, - Can I run/exercise the generator with out the coach batteries hooked-up. Will it effect the wiring, fuses, breakers or the converter at all.
I'd like to be able to run the generator once a month but don't want to re-connect the coach batteries every time. Can I run a few ceiling lights?
Any info would be appreciated.
Mike & Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:00 PM   #2

I would think you would be find doing this. Just make sure the battery cables can not touch each other or the frame.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:47 PM   #3

Will you be able to start the generator without the batteries?
DSurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:56 PM   #4

I agree with DSurette, I would think you would need 1 battery installed to start generator unless there is a way to use the coach battery.
Rzbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:04 PM   #5

Would think so. LOL

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:40 PM   #6

Yes, you can start the generator without coach batteries. It won't hurt anything in the coach. The generator just sends 110 volts to the convertor and to the breaker panel. If there are no batteries, the convertor just doesn't have to put out as many amps to the 12 volt system.

You just start the engine and that gives power to the generator's starter. I have done it when my coach batteries were run down too low to start the generator.

Be absolutely sure the coach battery cables are insulated, because the cables will be energized.

Load the generator to 50% of its rating if you can. A portable electric heater is just right.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:07 PM   #7

Chassis alternator I believe is rated at 200 amps which may or may not be enough to start the generator without anything from battery. The generator manual may say how many amps are needed. Also I don't think it will put out 200 amps at idle so you may need the V10 up at a couple thousand RPM. You also may be able to use the battery tie switch under the drivers seat to connect the chassis battery to the generator. However I don't know if that circuit will work without the chassis battery installed. Maybe I can find time to review the electrical circuit diagrams tomorrow and determine what will work.

Finally if you are going to leave the chassis battery in during storage why take out the coach batteries. Running the chassis engine and generator will keep the coach battery charged and they won't deteriorate anymore than the chassis battery will if you keep it in during storage.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:48 AM   #8

On my unit I have started the generator with the battery disconnect in off, it cranks off the same battery as the vehicle. No power will go to the coach batt cables with the disconnect in off.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:22 AM   #9

I leave both batteries in place and start engine and generator about once a month. If you are going to start generator anyway (a good idea) why not just leave the battery in place? I load the generator while exercising by starting the heat pump. No sense sitting in the cold while I'm running the genny.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:50 AM   #10

Why don't you fog the genny, drain the carb and you won't have to exercise it at all. I have been doing this since I got the genny. About 4 years now. Get the spray fog, remove the air filter, start the genny and then spray the fog into the air intake until the engine stalls out. Then drain the carb. I take the battery out along with the 2 house batteries and put them on smart chargers. The genny is a 4000 watt Onan which is called a juice box. It goes into the trailer hitch at the back of the 5er.
Here's a site for this one. Not the one I use but it's an example. AMSOIL Engine Fogging Oil
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesslvm View Post
On my unit I have started the generator with the battery disconnect in off, it cranks off the same battery as the vehicle. No power will go to the coach batt cables with the disconnect in off.

The battery disconnect is kind of a misnomer as it only disconnects some things from the coach battery. I checked the electrical drawings and verified on my coach and at least with a 3120, things like the slides, awning, and generator are not disconnected with the switch. Generator starting power does not come from the chassis battery unless the emergency battery tie together circuit is energized through the switch under the drivers seat.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:04 AM   #12

On my Georgetown, I can turn off the battery disconnect and any lights inside will go out. If I hook up to shore power, the inside lights will come back on including the light on the battery control switch.

So, it appears that, at least on my coach, the battery disconnect is bypassed when charging.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bend302 View Post
On my Georgetown, I can turn off the battery disconnect and any lights inside will go out. If I hook up to shore power, the inside lights will come back on including the light on the battery control switch.

So, it appears that, at least on my coach, the battery disconnect is bypassed when charging.

Bill
No, everything is being powered through the converter - without the coach battery. You can technically power all your 12 volt devices without coach batteries when on shore power.
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATVer View Post
The battery disconnect is kind of a misnomer as it only disconnects some things from the coach battery. I checked the electrical drawings and verified on my coach and at least with a 3120, things like the slides, awning, and generator are not disconnected with the switch. Generator starting power does not come from the chassis battery unless the emergency battery tie together circuit is energized through the switch under the drivers seat.

On our 2011 Sunseeker 3100 the emergency start battery tie (on the drivers seat) is not needed to start the generator. The times I had to start the generator with dead coach batteries I just started the engine, immediately walked to the convenience center, and started the generator. I then shut off the chassis engine and let the generator recharge the batteries.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:13 PM   #15

I guess they're all different. On our Coachmen 3150SS the genny will shut off if I disconnect the battery while it is running.
DSurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post
On our 2011 Sunseeker 3100 the emergency start battery tie (on the drivers seat) is not needed to start the generator. The times I had to start the generator with dead coach batteries I just started the engine, immediately walked to the convenience center, and started the generator. I then shut off the chassis engine and let the generator recharge the batteries.
Agreed. The reason I mentioned the battery tie switch was to address a previous comment that the generator starter was powered from the chassis battery not the coach. The only way I know to start the generator from the chassis battery is with the battery tie circuit or of course through running the engine alternator.