Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2013, 06:26 PM   #1

The night before Christmas

My family is getting really excited! We are picking up our Sunseeker 3170 this Thursday that we had ordered back in April! As a new motor home owner, are there any things I should be looking for or asking the dealer on walk through? Anything you guys failed to ask at pickup that you wish you had?

Thanks!
chrissocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:36 PM   #2

A few things to look for.
- How to operate the slides electrically and manually.
- Check fans are all working.
- How to operate the generator.
- How to secure the slide with the bars.
- Check tire and air bag pressure.
- Check CCC stamped on door is as expected.
- Demonstrate water bypass for storing.
- Demonstrate lower water drain valves.

Great luck. I've just purchased mine and be using it for 5 weeks. Its been great with a few hickups..
Sun.ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #3
Always Learning

Check the Library link on the green bar on this web site for a "PDI Checklist". It's quite good and goes through almost all of the various systems.

My camper- the speakers for the TV/DVD weren't hooked up right and we couldn't play DVDs.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:40 PM   #4

Things to ask

Know where your coach batteries are and how to check the water level. If first motorhome have idea of leveling coach when camping. Go over how to dump tanks. How to fill water tank and to open release valve. Take a dvd,cd and I pod and see if entertainment equipment work.
dojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:55 PM   #5

Test drive it just as you would with a new car to make sure it handles correctly before signing the papers. Alignment is tricky on these Ford front ends and you should feel little to no bump steer on secondary roads and none on highways.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:33 AM   #6
Always Learning

The test drive is a good point- if you're new to driving a RV, then you might see of the dealership will send you on a drive with one of their techs. She/he can give pointers and tips for a half hour or so.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:58 AM   #7

Have them show you how the Refrigerator , hot water tank, operate on electric & propane. How when plugging in the shore power, it takes a couple of minutes for a auto system check.
Mike & Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:27 AM   #8

Safety First !!

Check all tire pressures and rear air spring psi before leaving the dealers lot. Everything else you can learn in time.

2013 Forester #3051SF
2009 Toyoda Tacoma (toad)
2010 Newmar Dutchstar (Sold)
2011 Fleetwood Bounder (Sold)
trwmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:15 PM   #9

Thanks for the advice everyone! We picked it up this afternoon! The sales people were awesome and the walk through answered each of your suggestions without me asking a single question. If anyone lives in NJ I really recommend Scott Motor Coach. They were fantastic!
chrissocha is offline   Reply With Quote