Old 05-23-2013, 08:04 AM   #1
Unhappy Ticks & Stuff

Just got back from camping in the woods.
The dog brought back 2 ticks imbedded in the fur/skin.
He is treated with Advantic II. (so much for modern science)
Anybody got a "home remedy" to repel ticks from our furry friends...

Mike & Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:16 AM   #2
We live in NC in the middle of the woods. my children, my husband and my dogs get ticks. We have tried all kinds of things so if you get a great answer to this, I'll be watching!
Even worse are chiggers....can't see them and don't know you've been bitten until later when the itching is unbearable!

ofranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:17 AM   #3
UGH. Ticks. We battle them too. I don't know of any home remedies that work well other than tweezers. I use Frontline Plus which seems to kill them fairly quickly. I get the largest size available then split it between my 2 boxers. It's been almost 2 months since I treated them and its just now losing effectiveness.

I check them every night and pick the little........ummmm.............things off.

I wish there was something us 2 leggers could use. I've been tempted to dose myself with Frontline!

Enjoying the great outdoors with one hubby and 2 boxers!
2011 Georgetown 280DS
2010 Jeep Wangler 4x4 Toad
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
Welcome to summer lol, our lab is a tick magnet and we use advantix2 as well and got real frustrated as he would always come out of the woods with ticks on him, contacted our vet and got the whole story then felt better. The advantix has permethrin to help repel ticks, as you know not real good at times, the real job that advantix does is kill the tick and it falls off, mind you this takes from 24 - 48 hours. This is why we find ticks shortly after coming in from a romp, the tick has not absorbed enough product nor has enough time lapsed to cause the death of the tick.

Our vet assured us it works, but to keep checking him and removing as we had been, but the advantix will get the ones we miss. I will say we have found dead ticks on the floor so I know we have missed some, and also that the product works as it is indicated.

It is frustrating as all get out, but I believe it is the proper way to treat the issue.
thunderalley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:07 AM   #5
Talking Ticks & Stuff II

Just spoke to my Vet.
As Thunderalley stated Advantix II does work.
He assured me that it takes 48 hours of the tick being on the dog, for the dog to get lime disease. (not sure about humans)
And because of Advantix works within 24 - 48 hours
(killing the tick), the chances as very slim of the dog getting lime disease. It takes 48 or more hours for the dog to become infected.
He also told me there is a vaccination that can be given the dog to prevent L/D. It's given to two shots about 2 weeks apart and cost about $75.00. Sounds worth it to me, & our Golden is getting his vaccination tomorrow.
Hope this info helps.
Mike & Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:35 AM   #6
Ticks are a nuisance but not much of a threat to dogs. The one blood sucker you should be worried about is mosquitoes. Make sure to use a vet recommended prevention like Heart Guard to prevent heartworm. The treatment once they have heart worms is expensive and possibly lethal to your pet.
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW 6.7L Powerstroke
pwrstroke2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:43 AM   #7
Certifect works GREAT and I use in conjunction with Revolution. We had a tick invasion of our yard last spring. I thought I was going to lose my freakin' mind. I'd find little baby ticks between their toes, they'd bring them in the house, and you can just imagine.

Two days after applying Certifect (after a bath to get rid of what was on them)... no more ticks. The Certifect kills within hours.

I bought it online from Amazon.

~ Darlene ~

2014 Coachmen Mirada 35BH

previous owner of
2014 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306
dkb74 is offline   Reply With Quote