Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2016, 10:42 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa GLS View Post
Another question. Many here recommend balancing the tires; does adding the sensors effect the balance?
Also read on the web site that the TST507 updates every 6 seconds, but only sends info to the monitor every 5 minutes. Not instantaneous info at all; a lot can happen in 5 mins.
Also understand you may need to add a signal booster. I really am trying to justify one of these, but still not sure. Will study it some more.
Thanks for all of the info so far; will continue to monitor this thread.
I'm not sure were you got that information from unless they updated there monitors. It will cycle through all your tires, but only shows new pressure and temps every 2 mins. The instantaneous would be a slow like or a fast leak or heat, you will see a red light flash and a symbol of the problem. TST was going to make some changes to color monitor and the speed of the system I do not know if they did that yet....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:45 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Sorry to disagree, we did 5 with the flow thru sensors both on and off and all 5 were off by 0.5 oz which is enough to cup a tire.
He is correct about having them balanced with them on, I don't know enough to say it will cup, but I trust OC... Ps: but remember all trailers come unbalanced from the factory, just baffles me.

Old 04-29-2016, 03:24 PM   #23

Thanks for all the info. Don't see how the flow throughs could weigh less than an ounce. Seems like if they weigh enough to damage a valve stem, they could probably effect balance.
Got the info about the updating off of a web site that handles the TST's.
While it is true that most TT tires come unbalanced, if you add or remove a sensor it could effect balancing if you do balance your tires.
Keep the info coming, I need all the help I can get. Still haven't decided yea or nay. Can see some good & some not so good, but I'm all for keeping myself & those around me safe.
Thanks again to all.
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 04:46 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa GLS View Post
Thanks for all the info. Don't see how the flow throughs could weigh less than an ounce. Seems like if they weigh enough to damage a valve stem, they could probably effect balance.
Got the info about the updating off of a web site that handles the TST's.
While it is true that most TT tires come unbalanced, if you add or remove a sensor it could effect balancing if you do balance your tires.
Keep the info coming, I need all the help I can get. Still haven't decided yea or nay. Can see some good & some not so good, but I'm all for keeping myself & those around me safe.
Thanks again to all.
Remember that not only does the weight of the object matter, but also the distance from the center of rotation. Most TPMS sensors with suitable valve stem extensions are pretty near the center of rotation.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 04:59 PM   #25
Site Team

Never understood why TT and 5er tires are not balanced by the manufacturer as they rotate as fast or faster than the TV tires. It is true that you don't feel the rough ride of the TT, but the structure of the TT certainly does as does everything inside. I had all 4 of my valve stems replaced with metal stems and tires balanced ( with sensor on) for $60. Well worth it to me.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 05:17 PM   #26

Searched for further info on TST system & found that the flow through sensors do indeed weigh less than an ounce. Reportedly weigh .8 ounces. Still searching for more info.
Thanks again
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 08:21 AM   #27

The TST system probably saved my bacon. On highway I-77 the alarm went off with a slow leak icon, it scared the hell out of me when it went off. I picked up a nail and was able to pull off to a safe area and call GS road service, within 45 mins they had my spear on, but without the system I'm sure I would have had thousands of dollars of repairs needed. No way to tell what is going on back there until it's to late. I highly recommend any system, but get something, they do work..... I was coming home from the Tadpole Rally.

Old 05-13-2016, 08:51 AM   #28

Location: Jonesboro AR--Home of Arkansas State University and the Red Wolves
Setting tire pressure at 80 psi in 50 degree weather on our first trip of the season a few weeks ago turns out to be a little more when you start out in 80 degree weather as occurred with us this week....noticed immediately they were reading more like 85-86 psi and after about 2-3 hours on the road we were reading 95 psi, very near my upper alarm limit...I know those tires can stand much higher psi's but still I stopped and made adjustments just for the ease of mind....the TST system is well worth the price as far as I'm concerned.
2014-38nights/3500 mi; 2015-66nights/6260 mi;2016-44 nights/6106 mi;2017-65nights/6992 mi;2018-47nights/7376mi;2019-65nights/7825 mi;2020-59nights/4142mi;2021-39nights/3072 mi;2022-59-nights/6149 mi;2023-36nights/3001miles.
jtownstumpjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 04:48 PM   #29
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtownstumpjumper View Post
Setting tire pressure at 80 psi in 50 degree weather on our first trip of the season a few weeks ago turns out to be a little more when you start out in 80 degree weather as occurred with us this week....noticed immediately they were reading more like 85-86 psi and after about 2-3 hours on the road we were reading 95 psi, very near my upper alarm limit...I know those tires can stand much higher psi's but still I stopped and made adjustments just for the ease of mind....the TST system is well worth the price as far as I'm concerned.
If by "adjustment" you mean you let air out of your tires that is the wrong thing to do. Tires should be set to the "cold inflation pressure" selected for your RV when the tires are cold.
Cold in this case means not driven more than 1 mile in previous couple hours or in direct sunlight in previous couple hours.

Tire pressure will change about 2% for every change in tire temperature of 10°F and tires are designed to handle this for tires that are not overloaded or driven at speeds higher than their rating.

I have covered how to learn the proper inflation pressure and how to learn the desired cold inflation pressure a number of times on my blog. Some posts even show the math involved.

I really do not understand why some feel they need to establish an upper pressure limit. The important limits are Low pressure (anything below the inflation needed to support the measured tire loading. and the upper temperature limit which is about 155°F for most TPMS from the factory.

Even on a 100° day an increase to 150F would only translate to about 10 to 15% rise in pressure and unless the tire has been damaged or improperly repaired ti should be able to handle a +15% in pressure.
Also you would need sustained speed at max rated speed and at or above max rated load for hours to raise the tire temp to 150 at the external sensor.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 05:38 PM   #30

Location: Jonesboro AR--Home of Arkansas State University and the Red Wolves
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
If by "adjustment" you mean you let air out of your tires that is the wrong thing to do. Tires should be set to the "cold inflation pressure" selected for your RV when the tires are cold.
Cold in this case means not driven more than 1 mile in previous couple hours or in direct sunlight in previous couple hours.

Tire pressure will change about 2% for every change in tire temperature of 10°F and tires are designed to handle this for tires that are not overloaded or driven at speeds higher than their rating.

I have covered how to learn the proper inflation pressure and how to learn the desired cold inflation pressure a number of times on my blog. Some posts even show the math involved.

I really do not understand why some feel they need to establish an upper pressure limit. The important limits are Low pressure (anything below the inflation needed to support the measured tire loading. and the upper temperature limit which is about 155°F for most TPMS from the factory.

Even on a 100° day an increase to 150F would only translate to about 10 to 15% rise in pressure and unless the tire has been damaged or improperly repaired ti should be able to handle a +15% in pressure.
Also you would need sustained speed at max rated speed and at or above max rated load for hours to raise the tire temp to 150 at the external sensor.
Had been off the road for about 2 1/2 hours when my "adjustments" we made....simply reset all tire's psi before I got back on highway...tires were back to "cold" though they were now being set in 30 degree higher temperature outside that day than when they were set 3 weeks earlier in 50 degree weather.....thanks for your input.
2014-38nights/3500 mi; 2015-66nights/6260 mi;2016-44 nights/6106 mi;2017-65nights/6992 mi;2018-47nights/7376mi;2019-65nights/7825 mi;2020-59nights/4142mi;2021-39nights/3072 mi;2022-59-nights/6149 mi;2023-36nights/3001miles.
jtownstumpjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 07:40 AM   #31

I installed or setup a EEZTire Tire Pressure Monitoring System - 10 Flow-Through Sensors on my 2015 3170. I flat tow a jeep and have sensors installed there. The front tires of the e450 setup easily and work very well. The Sunseeker rear tires are a real problem. The sensors on the inner tires won't work. In fact I installed the sensors and both tires were loosing air. The other tires one side works and the other does not. Are there special tire valves needed? I am also concerned because the e450 low tire pressure warning did not come on. One of my rear tires went down to about 30 psi. Anyone have this experience?
bdifonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:03 AM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdifonzo View Post
...I am also concerned because the e450 low tire pressure warning did not come on. One of my rear tires went down to about 30 psi. Anyone have this experience?
Your E-450 doesn't have the Ford OEM TPMS system. It isn't ordered by FR when they order the chassis. If you have valve stem questions / issues with your add on TPMS give the folks at Your Tire Shop Supply a call. They are very knowledgeable and will have a good metal extension kit to fit.
RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 02:13 PM   #33

I just added the EEZTire monitoring system to my 2015 Sunseeker 3010DS yesterday. The holes in the wheel covers were too small to screw on the tire sensors even with the anti-theft part of the sensors removed so I had my local tire shop enlarge one hole on each wheel cover (cost $18 total). Now I can get the sensors on relatively easily for all 6 tires. I also have the dually valves on the 4 rear tires which also helps.

I noticed the tire pressures were each down 1 PSI this morning on the monitoring screen from when I installed the sensors yesterday afternoon, but the temperature was also about 10 degrees colder this morning than when I installed them so that would account for the 1 PSI difference.
lucky55616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 04:53 PM   #34
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky55616 View Post
I just added the EEZTire monitoring system to my 2015 Sunseeker 3010DS yesterday. The holes in the wheel covers were too small to screw on the tire sensors even with the anti-theft part of the sensors removed so I had my local tire shop enlarge one hole on each wheel cover (cost $18 total). Now I can get the sensors on relatively easily for all 6 tires. I also have the dually valves on the 4 rear tires which also helps.

I noticed the tire pressures were each down 1 PSI this morning on the monitoring screen from when I installed the sensors yesterday afternoon, but the temperature was also about 10 degrees colder this morning than when I installed them so that would account for the 1 PSI difference.

Yup. You can expect 2% change in pressure with each 10°F change.
So it seems all is good.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Old 05-30-2016, 05:12 PM   #35

Can you post pictures of where you cut your hubcaps and what it looks like now
kitejunky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:19 AM   #36

tst alarm

was driving through Arizona a couple of weeks ago and my tst alarm was going off on high pressure, I had my tires at 90 psi, and on the tst I did not change the high settings on the unit, it was alarming at 110 psi, wondering what is the max sidewall pressure for good year tires, and should I change the high alarm pressure on the unit
hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:11 AM   #37
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer55 View Post
was driving through Arizona a couple of weeks ago and my tst alarm was going off on high pressure, I had my tires at 90 psi, and on the tst I did not change the high settings on the unit, it was alarming at 110 psi, wondering what is the max sidewall pressure for good year tires, and should I change the high alarm pressure on the unit

You didn't provide information your tires such as Size and Load Range. Without this basic info I can only guess. I would guess you have the High Pressure alarm set too low.

You also didn't provide temperature info on either approximate Ambient or the TPM temperature readings.

When you set your pressure what was the ambient at that time? Do you use digital hand gauge or a stick gauge. I have tested a number of stick gauges and found them off by 5 to 15 psi.

More information is definitely needed unless you are comfortable with guesses.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:00 AM   #38

well my tires are good year, 245/70R19.5 I did use a stick gauge and used my gauge on my compressor and tried to use both to get close, my TST507 the tires ranged from 87 to 92 approx, and I aired them up before 7am in the morning, ambient temp was about 67 degrees at the time, I did set the tire 10 psi below and 20 psi above the 90 psi, of coarse any info would be appreciated, sorry about the lack of info in my first post,,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
You didn't provide information your tires such as Size and Load Range. Without this basic info I can only guess. I would guess you have the High Pressure alarm set too low.

You also didn't provide temperature info on either approximate Ambient or the TPM temperature readings.

When you set your pressure what was the ambient at that time? Do you use digital hand gauge or a stick gauge. I have tested a number of stick gauges and found them off by 5 to 15 psi.

More information is definitely needed unless you are comfortable with guesses.
hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:18 AM   #39
Chief tinkerer

TST 507 mounted internal on metal bands on the drop center of 6 motorhome wheels + dolly wheels. 2 screw on cap sensors go on whatever is on the dolly for that trip. Repeater in a cabinet behind the rear bedroom television. 4500 miles driven in 8 weeks with no issues. No concerns with stems, extensions, brackets, etc. Batteries will need replaced about the same time the tires do and TST has an exchange program for that. System works as discovered recently when I dropped the presssure on the dolly to tow it empty and went back inside and the monitor was beeping and flashing the "low" pressure.
Discount tire charged $16 a wheel to install them and balance.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:20 AM   #40
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer55 View Post
well my tires are good year, 245/70R19.5 I did use a stick gauge and used my gauge on my compressor and tried to use both to get close, my TST507 the tires ranged from 87 to 92 approx, and I aired them up before 7am in the morning, ambient temp was about 67 degrees at the time, I did set the tire 10 psi below and 20 psi above the 90 psi, of coarse any info would be appreciated, sorry about the lack of info in my first post,,,,
Thanks for the additional info. Lets set aside the pressure measurement question and assume the tires were set to 90.

You said you set the tires low at 80 or high at 110. I do not understand why. With a motorhome you should always have the tires set to no less than the minimum pressure needed to support the heavier end of each axle based on actual measurements. I have covered this a number of times in my blog. I also recommend that cold inflation pressure be set to that minimum inflation +10% and rounded up to the next 5 or 10 psi increment to make measurement and remembering pressure easier.

We know that if we follow the math of 'Gas Law" that tire pressure will change about 2% for each change of 10F. So if your tires were running at Ambient + the normal 20 to 60F range in temperatures, we could expect a 4% to 12% increase ion pressure. I have seen some reports of a pressure increase of as much as 15% but that is the exception in my experience and may be a function of improper load measurement or higher operating speed.

A review of the TST manual shows the high pressure warning to be at 175 psi from factory so have no idea why your unit is giving a high pressure warning at 110psi as you said in post #36.

RE tire capability. Your LR-G tires should handle 175psi with no problem as long as they have not been damages, run with low inflation or improperly repaired.

Suggestions:
1. Set the high pressure warning to 175 psi
2. Confirm your measured loads and that 90psi is at least 10% greater than the minimum shown for the measured load per the information in the Load tables.

Tags
pressure, tire