Old 01-25-2014, 09:49 PM   #1

Tire valve stem caps

My new 2014 sunseeker has only 1 of 6 valve stem covers. My DW and I took the MH to the dealer to fix the furnace that will not light. During the four hour wait to find out they don't know why the new furnace will not light I noticed that all NINE of their Sunseekers have valve stem covers missing. Just wondering if your new Sunseeker has the same prob.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:13 PM   #2

My 2012 has short little stem extensions which do not have caps on them. As I recall there aren't any threads to put a cap on. I had one that leaked a little so I replaced it with a cap. I plan to remove them all when I install pressure monitoring transmitters in the spring.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:18 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
If it had threads I would pick up metal caps from Wally World or a local parts house to keep the dirt out of the stem.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 01:17 PM   #4

I also removed these short extensions (with no threads) so that I could put pressure sensors on all the main valve stems........although it is a pain removing the wheel covers every time I have to get at the rear valve stems. I am tempted to just leave the rear covers off. I wish I could find just a center hub and chrome wheel ring.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:50 PM   #5

Before removing your inside wheel extensions make sure you have a straight long air chuck. One of my extensions was broke and it was a booger to read the pressure and add air. The angle type tire air chucks won't fit in the rim opening.
It'll be a trick to install tire pressure monitors on the those inside tires. You will likely have to pull the outside tire to mount the sending units. The clearance between the tandem tires is tight. I can barely get my hand between them to guide my pressure gauge.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:07 AM   #6

I have had several issues with extensions so I don't use them. I am lucky as I can get my hand through to the inner wheel to remove the valve cap, put the pressure monitor on, etc. You do need a long air chuck and truck pressure guage both with a straight end. If you can't get your hand thru the opening in the wheel.........that's what wives are for.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomG View Post
I have had several issues with extensions so I don't use them. I am lucky as I can get my hand through to the inner wheel to remove the valve cap, put the pressure monitor on, etc. You do need a long air chuck and truck pressure guage both with a straight end. If you can't get your hand thru the opening in the wheel.........that's what wives are for.
You are lucky because that is one small opening!
Camping World sells a good extension and so do most truck stops but I found the ones at truck stops are too long and not meant for the smaller tandem axles.
I thought too forego the extensions but I don't want be on the ground on the side of the road somewhere trying to bleed or add air to the inner wheel.
I bought a set of SS braided extenders from CW for less than $25.00.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:29 AM   #8

I have had a braided extender fail and lost complete air in the tire......luckily it was overnight at a campground. So I don't use them. I also was not able to use a pressure sensor on the end as it was too heavy and the braided extender kept coming loose.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:26 AM   #9

Nothing is infallible. I've had rubber valve stems fail - pop right out. You just gotta pick a middle ground.
Heck, even tire sensors fail. We just have to be diligent on our visual checks.

Tags
tire