Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2015, 02:46 PM   #1

Tired tire access

Went out to check the ol'psi today and noticed that a couple of the valve caps are round and I cant get me grubin fingers to them. Bought me a couple packs of slime valve caps (2048-A) for about 5 bucks total. Now I can use a 3/8 nutdriver to install and remove these critters. Put a little lube on the thread for those yankees in salt, wd40, lith, even a little dab of vasoline will do. I chomp on a piece of mentos gum and stick a little on the cap to hold it in place. Mentos is only slightly less adhesive then jb weld (Wonder if it is made by 3M)?

I need to replace the valve stems with brass and add a tpms. Any first adopters out there?
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 02:57 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoglou View Post
Went out to check the ol'psi today and noticed that a couple of the valve caps are round and I cant get me grubin fingers to them. Bought me a couple packs of slime valve caps (2048-A) for about 5 bucks total. Now I can use a 3/8 nutdriver to install and remove these critters. Put a little lube on the thread for those yankees in salt, wd40, lith, even a little dab of vasoline will do. I chomp on a piece of mentos gum and stick a little on the cap to hold it in place. Mentos is only slightly less adhesive then jb weld (Wonder if it is made by 3M)?

I need to replace the valve stems with brass and add a tpms. Any first adopters out there?
Funny you mention this, as I just replied with advice to a similar thread about a tool we use:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post925301

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 08:25 AM   #3

Well, I got off my tush and pulled a wheel cover. I found that all of my valve stems are brass and not rubber. That's what I get for assuming.... Soooo, does any other sunseekers have rubber, or is brass a chevy thing?

No lets seriuosly talk about the tpms now..
Old 07-17-2015, 02:51 PM   #4

Went to the TST site and looked at the pass through tpms sensors. My questionon is there a sunseeker or forrester out there who has installed them? Did you put the valve stem extender on top of (after) the sensor?
Old 07-17-2015, 03:50 PM   #5

I have the TST but they did not have the pass through when I bought mine (I think they came out a couple of months later). So mine are on the ends of the extensions. Replaced the inside extensions that came on mine (plastic) with braided metal and they have worked fine. When I have a need to replace tires, I will install new valves with the extensions as part of the valve. Note that if you have extensions that do not actually have air pressure in them, they may or may not work properly.

The TST people are great to work with. They only sell direct and their customer service has been great. I had a couple of sensors go bad and they replaced them quickly without question for free. (Warranty had expired on one of them by a couple months and they replaced free anyway). The system can be configured for many variables. If you have a toad you could add sensors to it and have it monitored. When not towing, it is easy to change configuration. You can set high and low pressure and temperature warnings to your liking, or follow their recommendations. Small unit fits nicely on the dash (I put mine right on the edge of the dash near the left door pillar). Can be turned on before leaving and check tires before you begin driving.

The peace of mind of having a TPMS cannot be underestimated. I haven't had a blowout, but I expect the system will warn me seconds before I otherwise realize it. And knowing that all the tires are at desired pressures everyday makes one less concern when traveling.

2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
Old 07-17-2015, 04:23 PM   #6

Ha ha... I should have read the post before the PM....
Old 07-17-2015, 04:36 PM   #7

Rvbill, still using the 135 degree extensions for the outside rear? Annnd... a part number for your
extensions? Are any of the extensions fixed or attached to the wheel covers?
Old 07-17-2015, 09:02 PM   #8

The extensions on outer tires came from the factory so I don't really know what they are. The extensions on the inners fasten to the outer wheel, not the wheel covers. Because the holes in the wheel covers are small and my hands are big, I had to remove the covers to attach the sensors.

2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy

Tags
tire