Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2014, 05:27 PM   #1

to plug or not to plug....in

just asking if I should plug the motorhome in while it is sitting in the driveway or just a couple days before we hit the road? Also...here it comes...new owner question......the dial switch just inside the door(don't know what it is called...but I'm thinking its connected to the auxillary batteries under the steps)....when should that be turned on...or for that matter when should be shut off......sooooo many questions...but just this one for today...
JoJo1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:40 PM   #2

I leave my 5th wheel plugged in for the whole camping season. We use it enough that I justify keeping the fridge on and stuff in it. Also allows me to have cold beer in the back yard Can't help you with the other part of your question
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:41 PM   #3

I was told at the dealer that the dial you are talking about keeps the battery from draining when not in use. I kept it in the off position during the winter, and was told it was ok to keep the batteries under the steps and not remove them.
I try to plug mine in every couple of weeks to keep it charged up. I leave it plugged in for 2 or 3 days.You'll find many different opinions on here as to the best way of doing things.
Brian217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:17 PM   #4

to plug or not to plug....in

That is the battery disconnect switch. When disconnected you still have power to the awning motor and to the generator starter. It needs to be in the connect position to power things up and to charge the battery using the coach charger/converter.

As for winter storage and batteries... I would pull the batteries and store inside with a trickle charger OR keep the RV plugged in and the disconnect on.

Wes

2014 3050S
Old 06-09-2014, 06:26 PM   #5
NELA

Our 5er stays on shore power when she's not on the road.

It was a pain to unload the fridge to take 'er in to the dealer for some TLC.

SO nice to not have to unload everything when we come back from a trip. Back 'er in, plug 'er in and unload at my leisure...which might be a day, might be two weeks, but the fridge stays stocked.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:33 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Vote: plug in

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:35 PM   #7
Average Joe

I keep mine plugged in. I did have it unplugged when it was winterized.

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:42 PM   #8

I will plug mine in a day or two before a trip to precool the fridge the rest of the time it is "cooling" off.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:49 PM   #9

so when plugged into shore power is the dial turned off or on....hmmmm thanking everyone for the info....true that about keeping the fridge cold...pack and unpack....if the dial is turned on when plugged in..does that help keep the charge...and also when on the road is the dial on or off.....just another quick question...if we were boondocking..what can we run off the two auxillary batteries....
JoJo1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:04 PM   #10
Average Joe

I keep my "dial" turned on while plugged in and whenever we're using it. The only time I had it off was a month or two over the winter when it was unplugged and winterized.

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:12 PM   #11

only turn dial off when in storage unplugged for long periods to prevent battery drain
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJo1999 View Post
so when plugged into shore power is the dial turned off or on....hmmmm thanking everyone for the info....true that about keeping the fridge cold...pack and unpack....if the dial is turned on when plugged in..does that help keep the charge...and also when on the road is the dial on or off.....just another quick question...if we were boondocking..what can we run off the two auxillary batteries....

The switch is a battery disconnect switch. It turns off the battery power so that things that don't have on-off switches don't drain the batteries when in storage (like the propane CO detector.) So, if you are plugged into shore power, or running the generator, or driving down the road, you will normally want the switch ON. This will provide power to things like the fridge, etc. It will also allow power to the batteries so they can be recharged.

When boondocking, or traveling down the road without the generator running, you can run the refrigerator, the furnace, all interior lights, the radio, the TV (in most Sunseekers the TV is 12 volt). The refrigerator will need propane on--the battery power is for the control circuit, not for cooling. The water heater can be run on propane. The water pump will run on 12 volt (battery) and, if equipped, the holding tank heaters (called Arctic Pack). What you can't run is the Air Conditioning, Microwave, and any appliances like coffee pots, etc.

I don't have a way to plug in when at home, because I park in a storage yard. So a day before a trip, I turn on battery and propane, and pre-cool fridge on propane. During winter, I leave the batteries in and start both the engine and the generator about once a month and let them run for awhile. This not only puts some charge on the batteries, but it is also very important to run the generator and not let the gas sit in the carburetor all winter.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:19 PM   #13
Mod free 5er

The only time ours is unplugged is when it is on the road.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:33 AM   #14
RV Nomad

I kept mine plugged in all winter, battery disconnect on. I still keep it plugged in sitting in my driveway, fridge running and I also run a dehumidifier in it. We, too, like to take our time unloading after a trip. Wife will usually unload fridge a week after we come back. I do like to turn off fridge for a couple days BEFORE a trip, to allow it to properly defrost and drain, and then it gets a quick wipe out before its loaded back up again.
xgzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:35 AM   #15

I don't trust the on board converter charger will not over charge the batteries so I use two battery tenders at all times when not camping, one for coach batteries and one for chassis battery.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:24 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATVer View Post
I don't trust the on board converter charger will not over charge the batteries so I use two battery tenders at all times when not camping, one for coach batteries and one for chassis battery.
the 2015's should all be coming with Progressive Dynamics converters now. Hopefully that creates a little more confidence.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote