Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2013, 07:24 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 9
Toad / Dinghy Brake Wiring???

We have a 2013 Sunseeker 2450s on the Ford E450 chassis and would like to tow a vehicle behind it. I purchased a used Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 All-Terrain tow bar and brand new vehicle specific brackets for this task. I'm told the next thing I need to do is buy a supplemental braking system for my toad.

I'm confused about the plug on the back of my RV. Does this plug supply the brake signal to the braking system I install inside of my tow vehicle?

The tow bar I bought has a plug that looks like it will plug into the back of the rv (7 pin I think) and then a 4 pin plug on the opposite end for my tow vehicle. I'm guessing that the braking system will receive this end?

Any help is appreciated.
__________________

__________________
kyleozdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:18 PM   #2
Plain Old Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Full Timing in South Louisiana
Posts: 1,938
The 4 pin that goes to the toad plug is for lights only, at least in my case as I don't use supplemental braking. Car is feather weight. The remaining 3 on the 7 pin remain unwired for mine. What kind of brake system do you have? There are so many that require different set ups. Curious as to what toad you have too?
__________________

__________________
John and Rebecca Dickson
Emma-7 / Little John-5 / Iva-1
Full Timing Again, Rev B
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:55 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Garrette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
The 4 pin that goes to the toad plug is for lights only, at least in my case as I don't use supplemental braking. Car is feather weight. The remaining 3 on the 7 pin remain unwired for mine. What kind of brake system do you have? There are so many that require different set ups. Curious as to what toad you have too?
BigJohn. What is your toad???
__________________
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:13 PM   #4
Plain Old Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Full Timing in South Louisiana
Posts: 1,938
2010 Honda Fit Sport. Great little car. 35-40 mpg too. Used the roadmaster kit from etrailer. Lots of great how to videos and instructions on their site. I did my own base plate install and wiring which were pretty straight forward. 4 flat wiring like a trailer, 4 diodes tied in behind the tail lights and you got signals and brake lights. We considered doing an aux brake, but it towed and stopped great in all situations, plus we've recently decided we'll be selling the whole rig so no need in spending the money. Tow bar is a Roadmaster Falcon all terrain, 6k.
__________________
John and Rebecca Dickson
Emma-7 / Little John-5 / Iva-1
Full Timing Again, Rev B
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:28 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Garrette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 954
I was looking at a Fiat 500 pop for next year. I understand that if the toad is under 3000# brakes are not needed. I assume the fit is straight drive. I will research them.

Thanks for he info.
__________________
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:31 PM   #6
Plain Old Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Full Timing in South Louisiana
Posts: 1,938
Yeah, front wheel drive, little 4 cylinder. Ready to flat tow from the factory. I'm debating keeping all my stuff off of it, or leaving as is to sell. I won't need the tow bar, but all that stuff is expensive and I won't get my money back selling.
__________________
John and Rebecca Dickson
Emma-7 / Little John-5 / Iva-1
Full Timing Again, Rev B
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:45 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Garrette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 954
I would post price of car and price of tow equipment. Who knows. Someone may be interested in the plug and play options.
__________________
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:46 PM   #8
Plain Old Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Full Timing in South Louisiana
Posts: 1,938
Probably so. I'll see how I feel when it comes time.
__________________
John and Rebecca Dickson
Emma-7 / Little John-5 / Iva-1
Full Timing Again, Rev B
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:28 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
wesslvm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleozdin View Post
We have a 2013 Sunseeker 2450s on the Ford E450 chassis and would like to tow a vehicle behind it. I purchased a used Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 All-Terrain tow bar and brand new vehicle specific brackets for this task. I'm told the next thing I need to do is buy a supplemental braking system for my toad.

I'm confused about the plug on the back of my RV. Does this plug supply the brake signal to the braking system I install inside of my tow vehicle?

The tow bar I bought has a plug that looks like it will plug into the back of the rv (7 pin I think) and then a 4 pin plug on the opposite end for my tow vehicle. I'm guessing that the braking system will receive this end?

Any help is appreciated.
I use Brake Buddy on my CRV. Uses wireless controller in R
__________________
2014 Sunseeker 3050S
Honda CRV (TOAD)
wesslvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:29 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
wesslvm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesslvm View Post

I use Brake Buddy on my CRV. Uses wireless controller in R
RV
__________________

__________________
2014 Sunseeker 3050S
Honda CRV (TOAD)
wesslvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:47 PM.