Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2015, 08:48 PM   #1

Toilet doesn't hold water

The toilet won't hold water when I try to fill up the bowl and of course it's smelling up the RV. PLEASE give me advice!
maryferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:07 PM   #2

There is a the rubber seal around the 'ball' that is not working correctly to hold the water there. See if the seal has been compromised in some way or is there any debris on it to where the ball is not closing correctly. The toilet can be taken out very easily and flipped over and the seal removed and cleaned and reinstall. If the seal is messed up a new seal can be ordered for the toilet unit.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:11 PM   #3

What model is it?
Westiedog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:23 PM   #4

It's a 2015 forester river sun seeker class C
Old 08-14-2015, 09:26 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryferguson View Post
It's a 2015 forester river sun seeker class C
Toilet brand and model.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:30 PM   #6

That I don't know.. We are putting Vaseline on the seal in the toilet tank so the gases doesn't come from the black tank until we get it in for repair
Old 08-14-2015, 09:42 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryferguson View Post
That I don't know.. We are putting Vaseline on the seal in the toilet tank so the gases doesn't come from the black tank until we get it in for repair
Vaseline on seals is generally a NO-NO! Should use Danco silicone paste.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 11:43 AM   #8

Yep,no vaseline long term. In a pinch you do what you have to. Before going through the hassle of taking the toilet off buy a bottle of seal lubricant, pour some in and work the flush valve
Nastyfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 11:52 AM   #9

Toilet

It has got to be the seal should be easy fix make sure the seal and the landing is perfectly clean I have had them to leak but could always stop never replaced a seal
Boso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 12:05 PM   #10

I've had that problem. Cut the water supply to the toilet. Put on some rubber gloves, hold the flush pedal down. With your finger rub away the crusty material that has accumulated on the rubber seal. I apply some plumbers grease. Put some water in the stool and check periodically. If still leaking, do the procedure again. I found that after sitting with the grease on it for a few hours the crust you missed gets softer and you will get more of it to rub off. Usually two times does it for ours. When you store your unit, be sure to keep the seal wet. I pour a little RV antifreeze in mine. Water will get stinky if it sets in the stool very long. Hope this helps.
tsuther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 12:27 PM   #11

My Sunseeker has a Dometic 310 toilet, if you have to replace the seal on this toilet it can be done without removing the toilet. Go to dometicusa.com to download the manual. Good luck
edcronin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 06:33 PM   #12

Toilet water

The black seal around the opening is dry or worn. Turn off the water, dry the seal off and put some Vaseline around the under side of the seal. This should seal it enough to hold water.
alsimmon11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:55 AM   #13

We drain each time but the anti-freeze makes sense. It's under a year old so luckily it should cover under warranty and they can fix it
Old 08-18-2015, 09:52 PM   #14

We have had the same problem. I used plain plumber's grease and it worked for a while. But you had to "flip" the foot leverThis last time I got plumber's silicone grease (because I couldn't find my old grease) and applied it to the edges as described above and also packed it down toward where I presume the hinge for the ball is and now the ball shuts more smartly and there is no leak after a seven day trip with seven people.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
budblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 03:01 PM   #15

That sounds GREAT! I hope it would still be under warranty since we've only had it a little over a year?
Old 08-22-2015, 12:46 PM   #16

Second related issue

I have the same problem, but different issue on my 2015 sunseeker 3050s. Our issue is that one of the black clips that hold the flapper to the sides of the tube to the black tank fell into the tank. Not the flapper arm pops out of the holder, which breaks the seal to the bowl. I would check this as well if you also have a new rig.
Jtf320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water