Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2014, 12:07 AM   #1

Tow Dolly for 2014 2860DS

OK, any recommendations for a tow dolly for the motor home. Good / bad, brands, models, trouble, the best, the worst... What have you and how do you like yours?

Thanks
asparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:02 AM   #2

When I did some checking a couple of years ago I found out dollar for dollar the one that Camping World sold was about the best deal around.. the one with the Elect brakes, I had a nice Prodigy brake controller already so that was a plus for me..

In the end we did not want to deal with a dolly and went towing 4 wheels down..
zook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:07 AM   #3

Roadmaster Universal Tow Dolly with Electric Brakes - Roadmaster 2050-1 - Towing Accessories - Camping World

Here's the link to it..
Old 05-19-2014, 09:08 AM   #4

One problem I'm told is that you can not back up the MH with the dolly/car connected. You must disconnect first.
Mike & Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:29 PM   #5

I saw the one at camping world... they haven't got back to me with answers yet.

I know not being able to back up could be a problem, but I towed a dune buggy years ago with a simple VW tow bar and it was real hard to backup. I usually disconnected and swiveled it around and rehooked if I had to.. (hard to do with a 2500# car) I would rather flat tow but really don't want to have to go with expensive braking systems.. I would like to tow a small older geo about 2500#, in my state Washington, I can tow below 3000# without supplemental braking.. I know its better and faster stopping power but I know a PITA also for me.. I'm told they (other states with lower weight restrictions) usually don't bother you if licensed in a state where legal. A fold up hitch system although ugly seems to be an easy option, don't have to store away hitch and fast hook and unhook.. what's the consensus on the blue ox and roadmaster system that I could do that with for a under 3000# tow vehicle. Also, can you back up these units without a problem.. (short backups)

Thanks

Thanks
Old 05-19-2014, 01:47 PM   #6

Any 4 wheel tow bars I looked at all said DO NOT back up.. not even a foot.. the tow the bars where made to be pulling a load not pushing it at all...
I ended up with Blue Ox tow gear and love it..
Old 05-19-2014, 03:53 PM   #7

I also use a Blue Ox tow bar and a Even Brake by Roadmaster Both work well and can be found used on line for a reasonable price. Not hard to hook up and the brake can go in any vehicle.
As others have said , no backing up no matter what or how you tow a car behind you, other than a car on a trailer which is not practical.
Days Camped 2014. 89
DangerCliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:02 PM   #8

I have been looking at the Tow Dolly offered by Acme. Only 405 lbs and has surge brakes etc. the rest including the one from a Camping World are all over 500 plus lbs. just had back surgery, would love to go with 4 down but like our present car and it cannot be towed 4 down. The lighter the dolly the better. Talked to 2 folks a couple of weeks ago that had them and just love them. They were both over 60 and could move the dolly around easily. One had a Demco dolly, liked it but paid over $2600 for it. The Acme is $1299 plus for me about $300 shipping. I have looked at them all the past couple of weeks and to me lighter is better!!
markangie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:29 PM   #9

I have a Car Tow from Forest River it has it's own braking system you jest need to check the fluid once a Year. And it is true you can't back them up its almost impossible
Old 05-20-2014, 06:50 PM   #10

You have a Tow Dolly from Forest River?
markangie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:56 PM   #11

I have a Master Tow dolly with surge brakes. Works great. Virtually no wear and tear on vehicle like 4 down which is pretty much working every system but the engine when towing.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:05 PM   #12

Yes the info tag is Forest River Inc Car Tow. I got it from Buffalo RV about 4 Years ago. I'm new to the forms so don't now how to up load photos or I could post a shot of the name plate.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by markangie24 View Post
I have been looking at the Tow Dolly offered by Acme. Only 405 lbs and has surge brakes etc. the rest including the one from a Camping World are all over 500 plus lbs. just had back surgery, would love to go with 4 down but like our present car and it cannot be towed 4 down. The lighter the dolly the better. Talked to 2 folks a couple of weeks ago that had them and just love them. They were both over 60 and could move the dolly around easily. One had a Demco dolly, liked it but paid over $2600 for it. The Acme is $1299 plus for me about $300 shipping. I have looked at them all the past couple of weeks and to me lighter is better!!

I bought the Acme Dolly due to the weight of our vehicle, which is a Honda Odyssey van. This particular vehicle was too heavy according to the specs for most dollies but the Acme seemed to be a great fit. Just towed the van on the dolly 4200 miles from Oklahoma to Alaska via Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone, and the AlCan Highway. Worked like a champ. I only experienced 2 issues, and one was completely my own doing.

First, the surge brake system is perfect for flat land towing, and it also works well on basic hills. However, use caution on serious downward grades because the compression of the mechanism causes the brakes to be activated the entire way down. So, while you can avoid using your MH brakes by downshifting, your dolly brakes are roasting. I made many stops to allow for cooling, but I know my dolly brakes are now gone, as there is brake debris all over my front van tires. It's just something to be aware of as a difference between electric and surge brakes.

My second issue was a flat tire caused by not lining up the van with the dolly adequately and catching the right front tire on the angle iron that protrudes from the dolly. I'll be filing those down soon.

I've been pulling trailers of some sort since I started driving, and I will say that this combo (a MH and tow dolly) poses some challenges, especially at gas stations. You absolutely must leave yourself an out, without requiring tight turns or backing. Tight turns place a lot of pressure on the dolly tires, as well as the vehicle's front end and steering, and backing is asking for trouble.

So, all in all, I really like the Acme dolly and it made the trip quite well. It got the job done and is built like a tank. It handled the frost heaves and washboard gravel roads with no issues. I'll be giving it an "overhaul" with new brakes, new tires, and some touch-up paint before the next use and it will be good as new.
Jstonecfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:54 AM   #14
Mega Member

I too bought an Acme tow dolly and have found it works very well with my Ford Focus. It does have a brake lockout key so you can, with caution, back up for short distances if you get in a jam.
It takes no longer to set up than the tow bar system, once you get a little practice and it allows me the versatility of towing any of my other vehicles at a moments notice. It is easily handled....even by one person and is very solidly built.
rgarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 04:35 PM   #15

I too have a Forest River tow dolly. Bought it used. Towed it to Florida this winter. If I get another one, it'll be one that folds up to some degree as mine was a little cumbersome to store inconspicuously while in Florida.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Forest River Forums mobile app
KQ2N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:14 PM   #16

thank you
Still looking
Old 07-28-2014, 11:22 AM   #17

I pull a Tow Master or Master Tow dolly with it's own surge brakes...have a Honda Fit on the dolly. Once I figured out how to get the straps out of the rachet...it's been pretty easy to use.
GMax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags