Old 02-05-2014, 11:53 AM   #1
Mega Member
Tow Hitch Question

I've never towed a vehicle before behind my 2004 Sunseeker 3100ll. I recently purchased a tow dolly that recommend an attachment height of 14 inches. So the dumb question is from where it that measured. The center of my receiver is about 14 inches now. However, if I simply add a tow ball (with no drop) it will then be higher. Does that matter? Should I get a hitch that has a 2 inch or so drop, so that it puts the ball top back to around the 14 inches? Any advice is much appreciated for the newbie to towing.

rgarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:59 AM   #2
Professional Curmudgeon
On level ground, place the tongue of the folly near your receiver. Adjust up or down until the deck of the folly is level. There is where you want the ball.

2014 Coachmen Catalina 253RKS
2016 Keystone Summerland Mini 1750RD
2012 F250 Lariat 6.2L Crew Cab FX4
Reese dual cam SC/WDH
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:28 PM   #3
I have a new to us 2004 Sunseeker 3100, and have been thinking about getting a car dolly too. What kind did you decide on?
johnp1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:54 AM   #4
Mega Member
Well, I spent a lot of time researching what I thought would work best for me, including cost, safety, ease of use, and so forth. I finally decide on the Acme Tow Dolly. It is shipped completely assembled, has surge activated disc brakes, LED lights, and has a recently redesigned restraint system for the wheels and a new 'sure-grip' ramp system. Additionally, the dolly is easy to maneuver and will fit under the back of the RV at the campsite. It can also be stored vertically in a garage or storage area. I have been very pleased thus far. Of course, everyone will have their own opinion---it might be similar to what flavor of ice cream one prefers. However, for me this was a good choice based on my needs and determined after a lot of time reviewing posts, asking technical questions from some of my engineer friends, and examining the various options.
rgarner is offline   Reply With Quote