Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2012, 02:05 PM   #1

Towing a Wrangler 4-dr Unlimited with Sunseeker

Is anyone towing a wrangler with their Class C Sunseeker? I have the 3170DS and a 2012 wrangler unlimited, but I have never towed before. Our wrangler has a manual transmission and I'm considering 4-wheels down. What tow bars do you have? Do you have additional braking systems installed? I'd love to hear about your experience with the setup of these two vehicles.

I'm looking to have a setup for next spring, something to keep me busy during the winter purchasing and installing parts.

Thanks in Advance
Mike
Old 09-17-2012, 08:52 PM   #2

I also own a 3170DS and I do tow a 2 door wrangler 4 wheels down and have had no trouble and never even feel it behind me. I'm sure I'll be ridiculed on here for this but I tow it with no auxiliary brake in the jeep ( I do live in south Louisiana though)
kthacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:43 AM   #3
Wanderluster

Blue Ox + Roadmaster

I tow a highly modified TJ rather than a JKU, but I'll offer my experience behind our Sunseeker 2300. We use a Blue Ox tow bar, and a Roadmaster Invisibrake supplemental brake system. To get the RVs receiver to match up with the Jeeps bumper requires a 10" up/down adaptor.

I really like the Invisibrake. Once installed, there is little to do other than hook up the tow bar, safety cables, brake-away cable, and electric connection. There is nothing to attach inside the towed vehicle which is a plus if you tow often. Info here

Telescoping arms on your tow bar will make hookup much easier. If you choose to go with an inexpensive A-frame type tow bar, you will find hitching up is very difficult if you have to do it by yourself.

Here is an article I hope you will read about why I think supplemental brake systems are important... The Physics of Towed Vehicles

Brian & Margie
www.rv-camping.org
OffPavement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:05 AM   #4

Brian, Thanks for the reply. Lots of good info in your article. This will be very helpful in our decision.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:22 PM   #5

I tow on a dolly with surge brakes. Works great and less wear and tear on the vehicle. Being able to swap vehicles without having to buy any extra equipment is a plus.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:44 PM   #6

A Jeep can not be towed on a dolly.It can only be toyed Four down or on a trailer. A 4 door jeep curb weight is around 4200 lbs and flat land or not I would use some type of braking system. You wont need it until you really need to stop and for 1000.00 or so it's not where I would look to cut costs. If there is a RV show or a rally large enough to have vendors attending it is a great place to shop for a system. I had already purchased our system when we went to the FMCA rally in Indy and I learned a lot there. I wish I had waited but still happy with our Roadmaster system.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:59 AM   #7

Agreed. Anything with full time 4wheel drive or no transfer case with the ability to select between 2 and 4 wheel drive has to be 4 down or on a trailer.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:30 AM   #8

I own a 2300 and tow a JK Unlimited on all four. I use a Blue Ox system...with a Base Plate, Aladdin tow bar and Patriot brake system. The only time i notice it behind me is on a windy day...then you'll feel a little side drift when semis pass or the wind gusts. The E350 handles it with no issues at all. The wireless brake system is a snap to setup and works as advertised...when you need to slow down suddenly or when you are on an exit ramp. Be aware...a lot of RV dealers will charge a hefty price for the install...i went to an automotive specialty after market store in Ohio (Cruisers) and got it done for 50% the price the nearby RV dealers were charging.
bidesheng is offline   Reply With Quote