Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2016, 08:37 AM   #1

TPMS sensors

Well it looks like I am going to pull the trigger on a 10 tire eeztire tpms. Wondering what type of sensors the class Cs are running with those stinking wheel covers. Cap or flow through.
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:00 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoglou View Post
Well it looks like I am going to pull the trigger on a 10 tire eeztire tpms. Wondering what type of sensors the class Cs are running with those stinking wheel covers. Cap or flow through.
I recommend non flow through based on personal experience. I have always been careful with my tire inflation pressures and tired to monitor them often. The fact is that since I installed a TPMS, I have only added air once in two years! Most of the time without a TPMS, you lose air by continually measuring the pressure. A TPMS makes that totally unnecessary and the added weight is hard on valve stems.

Now, knowing that it is a cold morning and instantaneously knowing the actual pressures does occasionally generate some angst, but I wouldn't run a coach without a TPMS.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:24 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Quote:

If you follow my suggestions of setting the TPM warning level to the minimum pressure needed to carry the measured load and set your CIP to that pressure + 10% I think you will find that you may only need to add air once a season.
Unless you have an active leak you should only loose 1 - 2% a month at most. The 10% cushion means you can watch the daily pressure go up and down a couple % and have no worry.

With a good TPMS you can do a morning "reset" and get the current morning pressure reading while you have your coffee and be good to go knowing you have more pressure than your minimum.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:30 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
I recommend non flow through based on personal experience. I have always been careful with my tire inflation pressures and tired to monitor them often. The fact is that since I installed a TPMS, I have only added air once in two years!
My experience is about the same
Most of the time without a TPMS, you lose air by continually measuring the pressure. A TPMS makes that totally unnecessary and the added weight is hard on valve stems. Especially if not bolt in metal valves.

Now, knowing that it is a cold morning and instantaneously knowing the actual pressures does occasionally generate some angst, but I wouldn't run a coach without a TPMS.
Good for you.

My TPMS has a "reset" feature which allows the current pressure to display on the normal cycle (5 - 15 min update) so I don't even have to get out in the rain to check morning CIP
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Old 10-26-2016, 10:15 AM   #5

Subscribing as this in on my list for next season.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:04 PM   #6
Chief tinkerer

Hoglou, we went with TST brand. When I talked to sales about internals, they recommended we go with metal band mounted allowing the stock stems to remain stock. The batteries are supposed to last 6-7 years, which should be at next tire change and they have an exchange program. Discount Tire charged $15 a wheel (times eight) including dolly to mount them and said there would be no labor charge to change them in 7yrs, etc., if I went with their tires. We did get 2 cap (non flow through) sensors and so far have used them on 3 different toads. 9000 miles so far. You will like the piece of mind, whichever you go with.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 02:10 PM   #7

thanks all

No one is suggesting that the TPMS consumes air pressure over time by sampling are they?

The coach (chevy) has metal stems so that a positive. The inside DRW uses a plastic extention from the factory so a flow throuh may work better for those two tires. Even with a metal extension the cap style sensor will have to free hang without support from the spinning tire..
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 03:39 PM   #8
Site Team

I started out with a TST 507 with non flow thru caps. Even with cutting back the "wheel simulators" they were a total PITA to use. In fairness they would probably work much better without the anti theft covers. Those covers increase the overall size of the cap, causing the clearance issues, and the anti-theft wrench was still very awkward to use even after notching the simulators.

As far as the OEM valve stem extenders the junk FR put on my GTS was pathetic. I had problems with the extenders causing a leak on both my inner duals. Just before Goshen I had a local tire shop replace the non-flex plastic crap, they had two plastic extenders screwed together , with solid metal extenders. While that resolved the leak my TPMS sensors worked sporadically with the new extenders. I'd hit a bump and a sensor would quit reading. When we stopped I'd turn the extender back 90˚ and the sensor would start reading again. Everything was as tight as it would go, and there was no air leakage, so loose connections were not the issue. The connectors allowing the sensor to pivot / shift, even when tight, were the issue. I'm assuming that pivoting allowed one of the valve pins to disconnect isolating the sensor.

While at Goshen I upgraded to flow thru sensors. By upgrading I should say I bought a new system as it was cheaper than just replacing the sensors. And my next door neighbor got a good deal on my old system for his fiver. I prefer the flow thru as even with a TPMS I still like to at least occasionally check my tire pressure with a gauge. And TST sensors can be several PSI off of the reading from my tire pressure gauge.

After the rally I had a set of one piece, bolt in, stainless steel valve extenders from duallyvalve.com installed that resolved the TPMS sensors falling asleep...for lack of a better term. I found dually valve to be a great vendor to work with as they are well informed. They also customized my kit with a spare valve stem for both my inner and outer duals. My front wheels are OEM Ford metal stems.

Now I have fairly decent system that is probably almost as good as the OEM integrated system FR should have ordered on the chassis from Ford...
2021 F-150 4X2 SuperCrew Lariat 502A, 3.5L Powerboost Hybrid, 3.55 gears, Tow Technology Package, Tow Mirrors, 1,840# Cargo, 7,000# Tow, 7.2KW Pro Power, Sumo Springs, A.R.E. Z2 Topper

It is better to have too much truck than to have too much trailer.
RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:30 AM   #9
Commercial Member

Quote:
No one is suggesting that the TPMS consumes air pressure over time by sampling are they?

The coach (chevy) has metal stems so that a positive. The inside DRW uses a plastic extention from the factory so a flow throuh may work better for those two tires. Even with a metal extension the cap style sensor will have to free hang without support from the spinning tire..
TPMS internal and external do not "consume" air while checking tire pressure with a gauge always does allow a small bit of air to leave the tire air chamber.
The pressure sensor in a TPMS is a small piezoelectric sensor on the small circuit board. The difference between the set point electric signal and the running pressure electronic signal is translated into a psi reading.

Just another advantage to running TPMS and why you will need to add air less often when running TPMS than when checking air pressure with a hand gauge.

RE extension. I always suggest that MH with dual tires run extension hose with outer end bolted or riveted down so there is no movement of outer end of hose with the TPM sensor on it. I got rid of the short (5") extender FR put on my coach as soon as I installed my TPMS (1st week of ownership.
Old 10-27-2016, 07:16 PM   #10

Just added the TST 507 flow thru TPMS to my camper and really like them. The extra length makes it easier to add air or check pressure although checking pressure is no longer needed. It also prevents the rear valve stem from spinning away from the opening in the wheel.

Kinda a geek and like seeing pressure and temp on the dash!

Forester 2451s
Old 10-28-2016, 12:03 AM   #11
Sunseeker 2400MBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacklem View Post
Subscribing as this in on my list for next season.

Our list also.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:28 AM   #12
Wait till next year...

Installed TST507 system last year and evolved to having flo thrus on all coach tires including spare.Sensors are mounted on inside dually with factory extension secured with handhole stabilizer. Have stabilizer on outside dually, none on front. Very little pressure loss
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 10:19 PM   #13

I plan to do what Tireman9 has done. Braided extensions fastened to wheel simulator. The extensions my forester came with are total garbage.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 11:07 PM   #14

I put a set of TST 507 non-flow through sensors on our Sunseeker (28') last spring.
After about 600 miles we had an alarm and discovered a slow leak in the pass. side
inside dual. I would not have caught that probably until it tore itself apart.
Found a tire repair shop and they found a three inch nail in the sidewall.
New tire and back on the road.
The kit paid for itself on that first trip!
After setting the minimum pressure for warnings it has maintained correct pressure
all summer, over 30 nights on the road. No more warnings and I can watch the pressures
increase by about 15psi on the highway when hot.
Measured the actual tire tread temperature laser tool reading about 98F, the actual tread temp.
was about 135F.
The TST sensors measure the AIR temp in the tire, while the tread on the road is much higher.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Zooming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 08:24 AM   #15

I used the TST non-flow through sensors because they did not have the flow through ones at the time. Only problem I had was the plastic extensions that came from the factory on the inside tires. Changed them to braided extensions and have had no problems. Extensions fasten to outside tire holes. It does require removing the wheel covers to get the sensors off. While this is no more than a twice a year job (spring and fall), I think my next TPMS will be with flow through sensors.

I will buy new tires next spring (5 years old now and starting to show cracks in sidewall). I will look at some new valve stems that are rigid instead of the extensions.

As far as the TPMS working--they are great. Adds a great level of security and confidence as you drive down the road.

2012 Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
Old 10-29-2016, 10:30 AM   #16
Site Team

My concern is that any valve extension, solid or flex, adds a potential leak point. Add in the wheel simulators, that have tight clearance issues, and it is nothing but a total PITA.

Solid ones like I have do have an issue in that you can not easily rotate the rear tires. But since Ford does not recommend rotating the rear duals, unless there is a wear issue, I can live with that one.

Here is a picture of the one piece valve stems I had installed. The black rubber plug on the inside dual valve stem, shown on the left side of the photo, helps keep it from flexing. They provide a nice solid mounting point for my flow thru sensors...

GTS Valve Extenders

Here are the plastic valve extenders, two of them in series , that FR installed on my inner duals. There was also a valve cap on it. The "interesting" thing with these is that as tire pressure dropped the center pin did as well. That meant I could not air up the tire without removing this junk. There was also no hardware used to stabilize these concoctions so I'm not too surprised it leaked.

FR Valve Extender

Fortunately this has been the biggest issue with my GTS to date. But since it is a safety concern, and a total PITA to work with, I think FR could do a little better...
2021 F-150 4X2 SuperCrew Lariat 502A, 3.5L Powerboost Hybrid, 3.55 gears, Tow Technology Package, Tow Mirrors, 1,840# Cargo, 7,000# Tow, 7.2KW Pro Power, Sumo Springs, A.R.E. Z2 Topper

Old 10-29-2016, 10:49 AM   #17

Quote:
You will like the EEZtire TPMS. I went with the non flow through sensors on my class C. No issues of any kind.
Airlift remote compressor system
Ultragauge EM Plus OBDII monitor
BendOrLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 11:23 AM   #18
Chief tinkerer

RedLdr, your flicker pic of the donuts made me laugh.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 11:56 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidyupgo View Post
RedLdr, your flicker pic of the donuts made me laugh.
I had to send the kids a pic of the "Amish Crack" we had at Goshen this year...

Old 10-29-2016, 03:21 PM   #20
Wait till next year...

I followed numerous threads last year on tire pressure and pros and cons of extensions. I bought the SS extenders and never use them-too heavy. Tried the braided as recommended by Tireman9 but I had picked up the flow thru sensors and didnt like the way they looked on the simulator, I probably would have stayed with the braided if I had the cap sensors.Read about the handhole rubber stabilizers tried them and found that they were the missing link( in my case) to very little air loss in the duallies. My inner duallies have the TST sensor mounted on the metal tire stem then the AirFlexx is tied into it. I have had no problem with the AirFlexx extenders when secured by the rubber stabilizers. I like the fact that they are airless so that if there is a failure it should not affect the tire and they are light which was one of the main reasons I tried them again.Aired the tires up in the spring and after 4000 miles over really bad New England roads this year have had very little (2-4#) loss in rear tires a bit more in the front
Green cap is the AirFlexx. Dont have to remove simulator to air them up.
So whats this about donuts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161029_123800.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	124167  
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote