Old 12-27-2017, 09:18 AM   #1

Traveling in Freezing Temperature

I live in Central Texas and I am wondering if I am traveling and the temperature starts to freeze while at a RV park, what should a person do to protect water piping, water holding tanks and other equipment. We plan to be on the road this weekend and the weather forecast is for temperatures to be in the low 20ís at night. I know there are a lot of winter travelers out there that faced the same problem. Your comments are greatly appreciated. I have a 2015 Sunseeker 2800 QS GTS.

texasblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:14 AM   #2
Fulltime family RVer

What are daytime temperatures forecasted to be?

Generally speaking- if it's gets near or below freezing for an overnight and then above freezing during the day, the only thing I'll do is I'll put water into my freshwater tank and will disconnect my city water hose.

As well, make sure you're using your furnace some instead of just space heaters. It often moves air around to some enclosed spaces where the space heater won't.

Other than that, party on.

Old 12-27-2017, 10:46 AM   #3
2014 SunSeeker 2300

Not that it as an immediate help to you but when we traveled in areas that we whew it was going to be freezing we didnít de-winterize our Motorhome until we got to Texas or Florida! Iím not familiar with your unit but if your unit is ducted to the water bay and pump area I always put my furnace on to run continuously so there was always warmer air blowing into those bays. If not, a 100 watt, not LED, bulb goes a long ways to prevent freezing. Be sure any little openings that allow air in need to be filled. I have also used batt insulation to protect pipes. I have grandkids wanting to go the library right now so if I think of anything else Iíll let you know. Btw, short cold spells are pretty easy to get through. Those that last 24 hours and more arenít.
Old 12-27-2017, 11:00 AM   #4

We are traveling this weekend in freezing temperatures also, but pulling a 5th wheel my only concerns are the water piping (supply). With a Sunseeker I suspect simply running the gas furnace every few hours will keep your lines safe.

Our fresh tank is empty because we don't need water while traveling and an electric water hose (Pirit) is available if we don't want to use the bath house while camping. Black and gray tanks don't concern me because there is plenty of room for expansion if the temps stay cold long enough, but as the previous poster stated the daytime temps above freezing will help. We will drain the tanks at a convenient state park along our route.

A gallon of water for coffee in the kitchen and another for bathroom activities enroute and down the road we go in 20 degree temperatures.

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 11:22 AM   #5

we've spent several nights in the low 20's and high teens and never disconnected our water hose, ... we keep the water moving, usually by laying the shower head down and let it trickle throughout the low temp period, ... setting the trickle flow thru the shower system, allows us to use the other sinks if needed without having to readjust the trickle flow each time we used them, ... but, doing that, you should keep your gray tank valve open so it can't fill up and overflow, but flows on out... we use the "sewer solution" and don't close our gray tank valve anyway, so it allows for a slow flow(trickle) of water even thru our drain system, ... our incoming line doesn't freeze nor does our sewer line going to the cg drain, ... we started this routine with a Casita, which has the shower to gray tank piping, under the trailer and completely exposed to the outside temps and never had a problem with anything freezing up, ...

fella10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 01:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasblues View Post
I live in Central Texas and I am wondering if I am traveling and the temperature starts to freeze while at a RV park, what should a person do to protect water piping, water holding tanks and other equipment. We plan to be on the road this weekend and the weather forecast is for temperatures to be in the low 20ís at night. I know there are a lot of winter travelers out there that faced the same problem. Your comments are greatly appreciated. I have a 2015 Sunseeker 2800 QS GTS.
Low 20s sounds pretty Good !!!
We are supposed to be -4 tomorrow morning !!!
I see a small town in MN was -36 yesterday !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 01:36 PM   #7

We just spent Christmas in our 5er and it got down to single digits at night and 20's for the high. We had the furnace set @ 50 when we weren't in the trailer and had the heated hose connected. The 8 degree night I had to remove my regulator and filter from the end of the hose because it froze but no other issues.
43 feet
CoMaddMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 02:38 PM   #8

You can buy a heat tape at Lowes or Home Depot that comes with a thermostat that will turn the tape on when the temp drops below 40 degrees. I purchase one, taped it to our 25 foot water hose and then wrapped the whole thing with pipe insulation. Much cheaper than the pre built ones. Make sure that the rv park water connection is also pretected or it will freeze there also.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 05:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
we've spent several nights in the low 20's and high teens and never disconnected our water hose, ... we keep the water moving, usually by laying the shower head down and let it trickle throughout the low temp period, ... setting the trickle flow thru the shower system, allows us to use the other sinks if needed without having to readjust the trickle flow each time we used them, ... but, doing that, you should keep your gray tank valve open so it can't fill up and overflow, but flows on out... we use the "sewer solution" and don't close our gray tank valve anyway, so it allows for a slow flow(trickle) of water even thru our drain system, ... our incoming line doesn't freeze nor does our sewer line going to the cg drain, ... we started this routine with a Casita, which has the shower to gray tank piping, under the trailer and completely exposed to the outside temps and never had a problem with anything freezing up, ...
Just curious, by leaving your Gray tank valve open, don't you run the risk of the valve freezing and a continuous layer by layer build up of frozen gray water in your sewer hose?

We do have the sewer hose heat taped but haven't had to use it yet as we don't leave our Gray tank valve open, (need to keep some water in the Gray tank for the Arctic Pack heaters.

So far, it has only gotten down to 10 degrees, (one night), and we are doing ok by balancing the furnace with the oil heaters.
Just me and the Wife
emeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 06:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Low 20s sounds pretty Good !!!
We are supposed to be -4 tomorrow morning !!!
I see a small town in MN was -36 yesterday !!!
It is -40C here tonight. By the way -40C is the same as -40F. Too darned cold for sure!

oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel