Old 12-21-2012, 06:54 AM   #21
Site Team - Lou
I have driven in freezing weather several times and I would never drive with the furnace on. Too many things can go wrong.

I just make sure the camper is hot before I depart and switch off everything before I go. Heat goes back on when the slides open. It takes a long time to cool off the camper from warm to cold enough to do damage.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:20 AM   #22
Thanks to everyone for the replies. This is an excellent forum and a great tool for new RVrs to get educated.

Merry Christmas to all, and safe travels.

dpkelly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:13 AM   #23
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post
You are correct, the Arctic Pack is a set of electric heating pads on the three tanks.
Not quite. On Sunseekers, we put pads on the Black/Gray tanks only. The fresh water tank is above the floor (under the bed typically).

The only place we put a pad heater on the fresh water is the 24M Solera due to fresh tank location.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:25 PM   #24
Just a note on the truck side of the RV - you may want to make sure the windshield washer fluid is rated for freezing temps, your tires are appropriate for the road conditions you are expecting, if you are expecting temps below 20F you may want to add gas line anti-freeze to your fuel tanks for a couple of fuel ups to ensure any moisture does not cause fuel line freezing.

Have a great trip
PT Avenger 33BHS-TE
GMC 2500HD SLE 4x4 Crew Cab 6.0 with 4.10's
Sgt. Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:53 PM   #25
This may be just me but I wouldn't even consider taking my Sunseeker on a trip in the winter and risk getting into road salt and brine solutions. RVs are not designed for it and you will be fighting corrosion issues forever. Wiring connections, piping, equipment like leveling jacks, etc are not sealed or made of salt resistant materials. I have a toyhauler that was delivered to the dealer thru a winter storm and I continue to experience corrosion related problems not to mention cosmetic issues with things like aluminum trim. Once the metal is pickled in salt it is never the same.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:32 PM   #26
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
I am planning my trip south and am having a real problem finding open campgrounds. Hope you guys have better luck.
What route are you planning on taking ? Jim
FarmerJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:54 AM   #27
Thanks to Mr. Clemens for correcting my assumption that our Sunseeker has a heating pad on the fresh water tank. The tank on our 3100 is indeed under the bed.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:53 AM   #28
Thank you so much for all of the input! It helped in making the decision.
Cmitchell40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:12 PM   #29
Originally Posted by Cmitchell40
We are a FL family heading north to IN for the holidays and are wondering if it is okay to take our new 3170 ds? We called the dealer and they didn't seem to be much help... Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!
I would never drive my tt in the winter. The salt used for iced roads is so bad for the tt and it will corrode everything. Even if you took it to a truck wash, the damage has already been done, IMO. Have a safe trip and Merry Xmas!
David & Annamarie(Fatty & Harley)
2011 Rockwood windjammer(3065)
annamarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:02 PM   #30
When it is really cold the dash heat does not keep up with the cabin - We run the furnace or turn on the generator and run electric heaters. One thing that helps is a pressure mounted shower rod (short one - $6 Walmart) across the 'hall" between the kitchen and the back end of the rig. I put a comforter over the bar and it helps to hold the heat up front. - The children have fleece blankets to snuggle under as well.

2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote