Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2012, 10:25 AM   #1

Traveling up north for the holidays

We are a FL family heading north to IN for the holidays and are wondering if it is okay to take our new 3170 ds? We called the dealer and they didn't seem to be much help... Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Cmitchell40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Some campgrounds may be closed for the winter up here.
Make sure every campground you plan to us (up and back) will be available.

If the weather turns cold, a heated hose and heat tape for your sewer connections might be advisable.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:26 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply...I should have clarified, we are staying with family once we arrive. We just wanted to drive the rv for a more comfortable trip with the kids and dog.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:42 PM   #4

So far, I haven't seen any predicted deep freezes, which would be my biggest concern if using the facilities along the way. May be best to err on the side of caution and empty the fresh, grey and black tanks before you get up here(including blowing out the lines). I can't see any other reason not to travel in comfort! If you hit a storm, stop at a wayside and pull out some board games and think of the Grizwalds Christmas
Family Camper's -'96 Coleman SunValley;'00 Forest River Shamrock 25'; '12 Keystone Raptor 41'
strokendiesel002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:54 PM   #5

If you're using the MH as a commuter only, then winterize it and drive in comfort.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:19 PM   #6

I'll be doing the same travel. Heading up I-95 to upstate NY. I also have a new 3170 DS, with kids and dogs.

We do plan on camping at Crosswinds in Linwood, NC on Fri night and at Bar Harbor, outside of Baltimore on Sat night. My thoughts were if we stay in the RV and use the furnace or heat pump that the water lines would be fine.

Does anyone disagree?
dpkelly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:49 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

I am planning my trip south and am having a real problem finding open campgrounds. Hope you guys have better luck.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
I am planning my trip south and am having a real problem finding open campgrounds. Hope you guys have better luck.
Are you looking at KOAs ??
Old 12-20-2012, 04:06 PM   #9

The Sunseeker 3170 has an enclosed sewer connection compartment. It is heated by a small flexible duct from the LP furnace. The heat pump will not apply heat to the compartment. The fresh water and holding tanks are between the underbelly and the floor, and get heat from the LP furnace the same way. The water pump and water filter are also in a heated compartment. As long as you heat with the LP furnace when it is below freezing you shouldn't have a problem with any part of the water or sewer system. We were in ours in 19 degrees F overnight fully exposed to a 20 plus mph wind. The next morning the compartments were above 50 F. (We ran the slide in when we went to bed because the lower seal has a gap around the slide track. This cut down on cold air infiltration, especially since the wind was coming from the slide side of the RV.)

If you don't have a heated fresh water hose, just use water out of your fresh water tank and drain your hose when it gets below freezing. If you want to lighten your load when driving, you can run it through your faucets and/or toilet before you dump.

One inexplicable item on ours is that the fresh water tank drain has a valve in the heated compartment, but the hot water line drain has no valve, just a pipe cap on the end of the drain line, exposed to the elements. I'd worry about that if I was driving in very cold weather. I plan to install a drain valve in the compartment so there's no water in the part of the line that is exposed.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #10

Thanks so much for the info... Appreciate your time! Any insight in terms of handling in winter conditions or in the smokies?
Old 12-20-2012, 07:47 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by dretired View Post
Are you looking at KOAs ??
Yes.

I have Good Sam and KOA memberships.
I have not given up, but military FAMCAMPS are looking better and better.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:04 PM   #12
B47

Quote:
Do the cg's know just who you are? Might help to let them know.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:14 PM   #13

Herk, Check out MacDill AFB Family Camp on Tampa Bay Great place.
sor126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:18 PM   #14
B47

Quote:
Yes.

I have Good Sam and KOA memberships.
I have not given up, but military FAMCAMPS are looking better and better.
Speaking of FAMCAMPS - a good friend of ours is a retired Army Warrant Officer and he invited us to stay at the USAF Academy FANCAMP in Colorado Springs this past summer on our way back to Texas from California while he and his wife were there.

Not being retired military, but having been an Air Reserve Technican for awhile before going with the FAA, I wasn't exactly sure of what to expect,e.g. - possibly a showing of rank (RHIP) in getting a spot, a lot of uniforms, etc.

We were surprised at how "non-military" the FAMCAMP was - no sign of any RHIP being shown, no uniforms or anything. We did meet some other campers there and were asked what branch I retired and similar things, but nothing to show it was a FAMCAMP.

As expected, everything was in great working order and no loud or rude neignbors plus the grounds were well kept.

All in all - a great experience.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:54 PM   #15
Kanadian Kamper

Couple of things if you're Southeners and travelling by RV up North.........

I've been a school bus driver for a number of years up here in Canada where we know snow. FYI.....up here, school buses are equipped with snow tires on the rear all year round. Even with the size and weight of school buses, there are times when they WILL challenge you to be able to maintain control. If enough snow, or even worse, ice underneath the snow is what you're presented with, be prepared.........you are not immune to conditions. There were times when safety dictated that the school buses be pulled OFF the roads.

The temperatures and snow conditions can change anytime. In fact, right now, the North-East is being subjected to one of the worst storms of the season. I can't forecast what the minimum temperatures might be during your time here. The best thing to do is to "winterize your rig" as far as the water system for your rig before travelling North. Having it done while enroute could be difficult.

Use the rig for more room and comfort of your family, but don't count on using anything related to your on board water system. Also, be prepared that the in-dash heating vents may have difficulty keeping the entire interior as warm as everyone may want. Not sure if your rig has an on board generator, in which case you'd be able to run the genny, and run addtitional electric heaters to accommodate everyone.

Just some thoughts, but above all

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:37 PM   #16
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor126 View Post
Herk, Check out MacDill AFB Family Camp on Tampa Bay Great place.
This is where we are headed. Camped there 2 years ago for the Phillies Spring Training and will be there for a month this winter as well. Looks like Famcamps all the way since they are the only campgrounds open all winter.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:38 PM   #17
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Do the cg's know just who you are? Might help to let them know.
Heck, I don't even know who I am.
How can I expect anyone else to know?
Old 12-20-2012, 09:49 PM   #18
B47

Quote:
Heck, I don't even know who I am.
How can I expect anyone else to know?
Ah come on now - for an old trash hauler you are doing well in that area.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:48 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post
The Sunseeker 3170 has an enclosed sewer connection compartment. It is heated by a small flexible duct from the LP furnace. The heat pump will not apply heat to the compartment. The fresh water and holding tanks are between the underbelly and the floor, and get heat from the LP furnace the same way. The water pump and water filter are also in a heated compartment. As long as you heat with the LP furnace when it is below freezing you shouldn't have a problem with any part of the water or sewer system. We were in ours in 19 degrees F overnight fully exposed to a 20 plus mph wind. The next morning the compartments were above 50 F. (We ran the slide in when we went to bed because the lower seal has a gap around the slide track. This cut down on cold air infiltration, especially since the wind was coming from the slide side of the RV.)

If you don't have a heated fresh water hose, just use water out of your fresh water tank and drain your hose when it gets below freezing. If you want to lighten your load when driving, you can run it through your faucets and/or toilet before you dump.

One inexplicable item on ours is that the fresh water tank drain has a valve in the heated compartment, but the hot water line drain has no valve, just a pipe cap on the end of the drain line, exposed to the elements. I'd worry about that if I was driving in very cold weather. I plan to install a drain valve in the compartment so there's no water in the part of the line that is exposed.

My rig has the Arctic Package. I think it 's like a heating pad under each tank (fresh, grey and black). I haven't used it yet but I'm not sure if it runs on LP or what. Do you know?
dpkelly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:52 AM   #20

You are correct, the Arctic Pack is a set of electric heating pads on the three tanks. They are controlled by internal thermostats and are powered by the coach's 12 volt system. The coach's 12 volt control system is supposed to connect the coach's system including the batteries to the chassis's 12 volt system once the engine's battery is charged, so the Arctic Pack will not drain your coach batteries while you are driving. If it's below freezing when you are driving, AND you have at least a few gallons of water in all three tanks, it would be a good idea to keep the Arctic Pack on. If either tank is empty, don't use the Arctic Pack because a pad would overheat the bottom of an empty tank.

Question for more experienced members: The Suburban LP furnace manual recommends the furnace not be used while the coach is in motion. Does anyone out there use the furnace while driving? Is this recommendation just to cover themselves, or is there a valid reason? So far, we haven't driven in temperatures low enough to want to run our furnace, but I'd like to know just in case. We could run the generator and heat pump, but that doesn't keep the plumbing warm.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote