Old 05-12-2014, 10:18 AM   #1

Trouble shooting a Gen set

What's the first things to look for when trouble shooting a Onan gen set on a 3170ds? It has 125 hours on it and gets run for a couple of hours each month.. this time it cranked up like normal and it was running then "not sure how long" it shut off.. no codes or anything.. checked the oil and it seemed to be a tad low and was thinking that's why it shut down.. added about a 1/4 of a quart to bring it up to full then tried to start it up from the inside switch an nothing.. went out to the unit and used that started and it fired up.. ran for about 5 mins no issues.. Turned on the A/C to put a load on it and after about 3 mins it shut down again.. still no codes flashing or anything..
Checked to make sure the tank had enough gas and it's full.. what's the next steps to check? Fuel filter maybe?

Old 05-12-2014, 10:58 AM   #2

I had the same problem, it's a little messy but you can take the fuel line off and check the pressure. When mine went out there was barely a trickle coming out. The fuel pump and filter are pretty easy to replace, I would suggest replacing both if your in there.

Now if the genny starts and only runs for a couple seconds do not keep trying to start it! We had the control board go out on a separate occasion and because I continued to crank on it I caused $2000 in damage!

Old 05-12-2014, 12:31 PM   #3

See if it will start, then when it dies take the fuel cap off the tank. If that brings it back then the vent for the tank is plugged not allowing air into the tank to displace the fuel.

Then I'd go with the above, pull the fuel line and see if it flows. There should be a solid stream out of the line if all is well.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:38 AM   #4

Well Good news Bad news.. or Good and Good I guess..

Yesterday tried starting the gen set from the inside starter switch and nothing.. went to the out side and at first nothing then it would prime then it started.. let it run for about 5 mins with out a load then turned on the A/C.. sputtered a bit but kept running.. 1 1/2 hours later it was still humming along.. killed it, and it would fire right back up from the inside switch..

So all good except what the heck was the issue before???
Old 05-13-2014, 08:45 AM   #5

Good to hear it's running!

If it was me, and i rely a lot on my genny, I would add a fuel filter and fuel pump to your spare parts box.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:57 AM   #6

On that news, check your connections. I'll bet one is loose or corroded.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote