Old 10-23-2015, 10:53 AM   #1

Undercoating

Has anyone had their motor home under coated? Do you think it is worth it? Does it interfere with potential future maintenance?

Sunseeker 88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:02 AM   #2

I live in a Coastal area with salt air and in the winter they salt the crap out of the roads. I am a firm believer in undercoating our cars and truck. Was not sure about the MH. However, we do plan on doing some winter travel and the moist salty air wont be any good for metal on the RV. So I did do the chassis (inside the doors, rocker panels, engine mounts and the frame under the coach. Also did the axle, battery box, propane tanks etc. If work ever needs to be done on any of these areas, it is not tar or oil based and can easily be cleaned off.

2015 Coachmen Prism 24J MBS
USN-R '01-present
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 06:57 AM   #3

I am from Ontario where travel 6 months of the year include salt spray. I had the Solera undercoated with sticky oil which leaves a fair residue. I've used Krown in the past but found it didn't protect the undercarriage very well as it was too light an oil. This metropolitan stuff is more gooey. But any time you're under the rig its messy. It also doesn't protect the gears of the step motor or the basement door locks. Some of these have seized in a single year. I'm also concerned about the Genny. I may "fog" it with Krown this year before we head for Florida in January.
backdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdoctor View Post
It also doesn't protect the gears of the step motor or the basement door locks. Some of these have seized in a single year. I'm also concerned about the Genny. I may "fog" it with Krown this year before we head for Florida in January.
I did coat the box of my Onan with Krown and put a lock lubricant in all locks. No exterior steps on my MH

2015 Coachmen Prism 24J MBS
USN-R '01-present
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:32 AM   #5

I already have a little bit of rust starting underneath. Made an appointment at Zeibart to have rust treatment and undercoating applied.
Sunseeker 88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:22 AM   #6

My Forester had rust on the Chevy chassis. I got a couple spray cans of rust reformer, sprayed it all down then sprayed rubberized undercoating over it. Anything else that looked like it might rust at some point I sprayed with Fluid Film as it will flow into tight spots better than undercoating. I'm not worried about rust coming through the sheetmetal of the van cab as I won't be driving it on the winter roads in the northeast. The belly of the camper is sealed so the only thing really exposed to worry about is the Chevy/Ford framework. That's easy enough to keep an eye on. If you want something stronger than Rust Reformer (Rustoleum makes it), get your hands on some POR15 - but be warned - if you get POR15 on your skin it doesn't come off so rubber gloves, face protection and a tyvec suit are necessary.

2015 Forester 2301 - Chevy
Skip & Deb
Forester Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 10:32 AM   #7

I went the rustoleum route also. Brand new had allot of cross members showing rust. Most were unpainted. Just crawled around underneath and painted everything I could reach.

Forester 2451s