Old 01-16-2018, 12:12 PM   #1

Upgrade sunseeker to 6v house batteries

I have 2013 2650 sunseeker

question 1...

My current house batteries (2 interstate 12v in parallel) are not doing great job of holding charge any more. I noticed over previous summer that battery performance was down. I always remove them from rv over winter and battery charger indicates issues with finishing charge on batteries.

I am thinking about going to 6v Trojans (in series) but not enough height clearance in step area. Has anyone switched to 6v and cut new battery pans into bottom of battery area?

Question 2...

I am not sure how rv maintains charge to batteries. I do have a small solar panel in roof that seems to use some small red gadgets in the battery well.. one on positive side and one on negative side. I keep reading that 4 stage chargers add to battery life but not really sure what all I have in the rv?

Any ideas?

sask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:29 PM   #2

I have the same step in my 3010. I raised the step 1 inch to make the room needed to install the 6V units. Made the frame of 1 inch sqare aluminum tube, Tig welded it up and then bolted it in place, Lengthened the 2 thumb screws to hold the step down. Did not really notice the difference in the step height, Now walking in and out you would not know it had been raised.

Old 01-16-2018, 12:37 PM   #3
Citrus County, Fl.

Since your Sunseeker is a 2013, I imagine you have a WFCO converter (charger). Yes, the Progressive Industries is a 4 stage and I think they were installed beginning with the 2015 models.

Since your current batteries are Interstates, have the original's been replaced?
From what I have read, the batteries usually last about 3 years give or take.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin & Judy View Post
I have the same step in my 3010. I raised the step 1 inch to make the room needed to install the 6V units. Made the frame of 1 inch sqare aluminum tube, Tig welded it up and then bolted it in place, Lengthened the 2 thumb screws to hold the step down. Did not really notice the difference in the step height, Now walking in and out you would not know it had been raised.

Thanks!

It never occurred to me to raise the steps.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL1800Rider View Post
Since your Sunseeker is a 2013, I imagine you have a WFCO converter (charger). Yes, the Progressive Industries is a 4 stage and I think they were installed beginning with the 2015 models.

Since your current batteries are Interstates, have the original's been replaced?
From what I have read, the batteries usually last about 3 years give or take.
I bought this machine used but assume that they are originals. I think that they are ready to be replaced and it would be an opportunity to go to 6v batteries.

Once the temperature goes above -20 C I will go out and see what type of converter / charger is out there.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:41 PM   #6

You will be happy once you upgrade to the 6 volts batteries. IMO, Interstate batteries have dropped in quality lately.. I have had to replaced my Interstate batteries twice since new. (over year and half period).. Trojans should be a good choice. A good way to check condition of the battery is to purchase a Hydrometer (Autozone) and check each cell for condition.. One weak cell will pull the remaining cells down..(Only check when fully charged).. Hope you solve your height problem.
clintbonnie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 05:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sask View Post
I have 2013 2650 sunseeker
...snip...
I am thinking about going to 6v Trojans (in series) but not enough height clearance in step area. Has anyone switched to 6v and cut new battery pans into bottom of battery area?

...snip...
Any ideas?
Which Trojans did you look at?
I had a bank of 8 in my boat and I seem to remember the 105's were normal size. Of course that may not give you enough amp hours
Brayeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brayeo View Post
Which Trojans did you look at?
I had a bank of 8 in my boat and I seem to remember the 105's were normal size. Of course that may not give you enough amp hours
The footwell in rv is not that large so the 105 would be ideal. I may look at other options once the outdoor temp gets up near melting and the tape measure will not freeze to my fingers.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbonnie73 View Post
You will be happy once you upgrade to the 6 volts batteries. IMO, Interstate batteries have dropped in quality lately.. I have had to replaced my Interstate batteries twice since new. (over year and half period).. Trojans should be a good choice. A good way to check condition of the battery is to purchase a Hydrometer (Autozone) and check each cell for condition.. One weak cell will pull the remaining cells down..(Only check when fully charged).. Hope you solve your height problem.
I did go though the cells last spring. I should go out to shop and look at them now.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:28 AM   #10

Our 2013 Sunseeker 2500TS came with 2 Maintenance Free 12v batteries !!!
Brand unkoned !!!

Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, sunseeker, upgrade