Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2018, 12:12 PM   #1

Upgrade sunseeker to 6v house batteries

I have 2013 2650 sunseeker

question 1...

My current house batteries (2 interstate 12v in parallel) are not doing great job of holding charge any more. I noticed over previous summer that battery performance was down. I always remove them from rv over winter and battery charger indicates issues with finishing charge on batteries.

I am thinking about going to 6v Trojans (in series) but not enough height clearance in step area. Has anyone switched to 6v and cut new battery pans into bottom of battery area?

Question 2...

I am not sure how rv maintains charge to batteries. I do have a small solar panel in roof that seems to use some small red gadgets in the battery well.. one on positive side and one on negative side. I keep reading that 4 stage chargers add to battery life but not really sure what all I have in the rv?

Any ideas?
sask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:29 PM   #2

I have the same step in my 3010. I raised the step 1 inch to make the room needed to install the 6V units. Made the frame of 1 inch sqare aluminum tube, Tig welded it up and then bolted it in place, Lengthened the 2 thumb screws to hold the step down. Did not really notice the difference in the step height, Now walking in and out you would not know it had been raised.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:37 PM   #3
Citrus County, Fl.

Since your Sunseeker is a 2013, I imagine you have a WFCO converter (charger). Yes, the Progressive Industries is a 4 stage and I think they were installed beginning with the 2015 models.

Since your current batteries are Interstates, have the original's been replaced?
From what I have read, the batteries usually last about 3 years give or take.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin & Judy View Post
I have the same step in my 3010. I raised the step 1 inch to make the room needed to install the 6V units. Made the frame of 1 inch sqare aluminum tube, Tig welded it up and then bolted it in place, Lengthened the 2 thumb screws to hold the step down. Did not really notice the difference in the step height, Now walking in and out you would not know it had been raised.

Thanks!

It never occurred to me to raise the steps.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL1800Rider View Post
Since your Sunseeker is a 2013, I imagine you have a WFCO converter (charger). Yes, the Progressive Industries is a 4 stage and I think they were installed beginning with the 2015 models.

Since your current batteries are Interstates, have the original's been replaced?
From what I have read, the batteries usually last about 3 years give or take.
I bought this machine used but assume that they are originals. I think that they are ready to be replaced and it would be an opportunity to go to 6v batteries.

Once the temperature goes above -20 C I will go out and see what type of converter / charger is out there.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:41 PM   #6

You will be happy once you upgrade to the 6 volts batteries. IMO, Interstate batteries have dropped in quality lately.. I have had to replaced my Interstate batteries twice since new. (over year and half period).. Trojans should be a good choice. A good way to check condition of the battery is to purchase a Hydrometer (Autozone) and check each cell for condition.. One weak cell will pull the remaining cells down..(Only check when fully charged).. Hope you solve your height problem.
clintbonnie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 05:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sask View Post
I have 2013 2650 sunseeker
...snip...
I am thinking about going to 6v Trojans (in series) but not enough height clearance in step area. Has anyone switched to 6v and cut new battery pans into bottom of battery area?

...snip...
Any ideas?
Which Trojans did you look at?
I had a bank of 8 in my boat and I seem to remember the 105's were normal size. Of course that may not give you enough amp hours
Brayeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brayeo View Post
Which Trojans did you look at?
I had a bank of 8 in my boat and I seem to remember the 105's were normal size. Of course that may not give you enough amp hours
The footwell in rv is not that large so the 105 would be ideal. I may look at other options once the outdoor temp gets up near melting and the tape measure will not freeze to my fingers.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbonnie73 View Post
You will be happy once you upgrade to the 6 volts batteries. IMO, Interstate batteries have dropped in quality lately.. I have had to replaced my Interstate batteries twice since new. (over year and half period).. Trojans should be a good choice. A good way to check condition of the battery is to purchase a Hydrometer (Autozone) and check each cell for condition.. One weak cell will pull the remaining cells down..(Only check when fully charged).. Hope you solve your height problem.
I did go though the cells last spring. I should go out to shop and look at them now.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:28 AM   #10

Our 2013 Sunseeker 2500TS came with 2 Maintenance Free 12v batteries !!!
Brand unkoned !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:21 PM   #11

For us, we do not rely on the batts often enough to invest in higher priced batts. Instead, we added a 3rd 12v mounted on the frame rail using a bracket you can find online. So for about $300, I can get 3 fair marine batts and have 150 usable AH. We typically use at most, 80-100AH for a day, so the 50AH provides a nice cushion without having to monitor usage, and without drawing so close to the 50% mark.

If something were to happen to one or two of my batts, I can still operate off the third (which you cannot do if one of your two 6v fails. I can also get replacements, even if cheap for a short term, just about anywhere...

I gave some thought to AGM, but could not justify the cost vs benefit for our usage.
Dp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbonnie73 View Post
I had 2 12v group 27 interstate batteries with reserve capacity 2x160 = 320

The 6v T105s have capacity 2x450 = 450 (series vs parallel)

On paper that will give me capacity of one additional group 27 battery.

Should also extend battery life due to construction of 6v cells vs 12v cells.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dp26 View Post
For us, we do not rely on the batts often enough to invest in higher priced batts. Instead, we added a 3rd 12v mounted on the frame rail using a bracket you can find online. So for about $300, I can get 3 fair marine batts and have 150 usable AH. We typically use at most, 80-100AH for a day, so the 50AH provides a nice cushion without having to monitor usage, and without drawing so close to the 50% mark.

If something were to happen to one or two of my batts, I can still operate off the third (which you cannot do if one of your two 6v fails. I can also get replacements, even if cheap for a short term, just about anywhere...

I gave some thought to AGM, but could not justify the cost vs benefit for our usage.
Thanks for that perspective. I probably spend half time off grid so do want extra capacity. I will think about redundancy of parallel 12v batteries.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:28 PM   #14

IIRC, the T105 has 225AH capacity. In your install, to get 12v, you would not double AH capacity, you would be doubling the volts, so you would retain capacity of 225AH, but USABLE of 112AH. The benefit of the 105 is better construction, likely allowing rougher usage than a normal marine (what we can get off the shelf anywhere) batt. You do not get a large amount of extra usable AH.

Compared to what my particular batts are, 12v, 100AH each, total 200AH, usable 100AH (excluding my 3rd batt for comparison).

(The 20 hour rating is what most compare.)

The mount for the extra batteries on the frame rail is TorkLift Hidden Power. Under $200, so that, and the price of three marine exides is $500, giving you roughly 150AH usable before recharge. Plenty enough for an entire day, even with using an inverter and a Kuerig in the AM (what we do). If you have room for a 4th, and you probably do, then you can have 200AH usable before charge.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:06 PM   #15

I currently have a single Interstate 27srm and am thinking about adding more reserve capacity. I could add another SRM27 for +/- $125 or replace the current srm27 and add 4 Trojan's for +/- $1000.
I like the idea of the 4 6-volts batteries but I can't see where they are cost effective. The weight of 4 6-volts is more than double the weight of 2 SRM27's. While very minor, this is a reduction in MPG's. Even if the 6 volt batteries gave double the life of the 12 volt batteries, you still loose out dollar-wise. Can someone tell me their general life they have gotten from the 6 volt batteries? I'm having a hard time justifying $1000 over $250 ( assuming I also replaced the 1 srm27 I have).
flhtci2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 02:16 PM   #16

I compare the warranty time, since that is the time the manufacturer expects all of their batteries to last. Maybe I get more, usually I do, but the warranty time is not subjective.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:50 AM   #17

Upgrade sunseeker to 6v house batteries

I upgraded my 2014 3170 charging and batteries. We overnight occasionally so my needs were not that high. I did want a better system and after much research I choose the following.
I replaced my WIFCO with a charger from Progressive and chose Duracell AGM's batteries. Mostly due to price, AGM. Group 31 rated at 105AH for 210 AH. Yes they did fit, just. Just can not use the tie down strap. Used pool noodles to keep them from moving. Next time I may look at 6 volt and raise the step. Made the change Oct 2015. Still doing well.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1133.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	219.8 KB
ID:	160622
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2947.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	371.2 KB
ID:	160623  
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:14 PM   #18

Another stupid design feature by Forest River. Might cost an extra $5 to extend the step during fabrication, then it would be an easy option to use 6V batteries.
Toyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:20 PM   #19

The 12V batteries that your motorhome came with were likely dual purpose batteries which is why you are having issues. Switch to true deep discharge batteries be they 6V in series or 12V in parallel you will see a huge improvement.

Typically, the 6V batteries are cheaper given the same capacity, chemistry and brand which is why you see more people going with 6V vs 12V. Performance is identical otherwise.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 10:50 PM   #20

final decision... for now

My wife banned me from modifying the step area in order to fit 6v batteries.

I finally checked the date codes on my 2 group 27 interstates and one was from 2014 and one from 2011.(It was used when I purchased the MH). I know that it is not a great idea to run such a difference in years but that does explain why the batteries were not holding their charge.

To keep my life simple... I will replace them with Costco Kirkland Deep Cycle batteries. I will probably go with 3 group 24 batteries since they all will fit nicely into the step area.

As a side note... a local RV dealer is selling the Mercedes Sprinter starting battery for Solar and RV use. he gets them from a local motorhome manufacturer who pulls out the battery and replaces it with a lithium ion battery. He has been doing this for the last 10 years and claims that they work great. It is hard to find out info about the actual battery but it is a Johnson Control - Varta battery - not AGM - but may be a calcium flooded battery. It is sealed with a vent hose. The price is very attractive (less than half of the Kirkland battery) but I am not sure that the price is worth the risk - hassle...

Tags
batteries, saunseeker, sunseeker, upgrade