Old 07-27-2014, 11:45 PM   #11

As long as you covered the basics, no worn parts, tires good, and alignment correct.... I don't think the stabilizer mask anything. With my Tru-Center you can pretty much take your hands off the wheel when being passed by trucks and still stay in your lane. Plus they help keep you straight should a blow out occur. Don't see any reason why being more safe on the road and easier driving would be a problem.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:43 PM   #12

If it handles well except for trucks passing, I would say you are in good shape. You are never going to get it to stay 100% solid when a truck is passing at 70mph. You just get used to it and compensate with steering. It becomes second nature.

2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy

Old 07-29-2014, 10:36 AM   #13

Rvbill, on my 2013 3170 with 7000 miles on it, would you say I wouldn't see much difference in the ride if I changed to a Bilstein shock all around?
Old 07-29-2014, 07:14 PM   #14

I can't speak to that specifically because I haven't changed shocks on mine. I'm just saying that some "Push" when a truck passes is a pretty normal condition. I have learned to anticipate what is going to happen and steer accordingly. The wedge of air pushed by a truck will push you away as it starts to pass. The lower pressure between you and the truck will pull you toward it as the truck completes passing you. Slight steering corrections will keep you going straight. Keeping about 60-70 psi in the air bags helps control sway, but will not eliminate the push of a passing truck.

IMHO the cost of changing shocks, etc., is not necessary--but others who have done it may have a more informed opinion.

2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
Old 07-30-2014, 12:54 AM   #15

Our 3170 seems to be very affected by wind. White knuckle even.
In a crosswind of anything over 20 MPH ours is like driving a sailboat without a keel. Especially when a car passes.

I've checked the usual suspects, tires, shock pressures and everything looks fine.

Ours feels more like the back end is swaying than the front but that could be because I'm busy focusing on keeping it in one lane.

In no wind it drives just fine though.

I guess it can't hurt to have a front And rear stabilizer installed?
Old 07-30-2014, 12:35 PM   #16

My 3171 was bad when I first got it, put Bilsteins and aftermarket sway bars on it. The shocks made the biggest difference, not much white knucking anymore and rarely affected by big rigs passing me. My rig was new when i got it, the factory shocks aren't designed to handle all that extra weight that's added on to the chassis, IMO.

I just installed air bags last weekend, will test it this weekend.