Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2014, 09:02 AM   #1

Upgrades for handling

I have a 2013 Sunseeker 3170. Happy overall with handling, but would like to do some modifications. I have been reading a lot about the Safe T Plus and was thinking of going that route, but wasn't sure if I should start with changing the shocks to a Bilstein. I do feel sometimes that I am playing with the steering with windy conditions or when trucks pass me, so that why I was thinking of the Safe T Plus. I also think sometimes it feels a little top heavy so that's why I was thinking the new shocks.
I'd like to hear anyone's opinion. Weather I should maybe do both or start with one the. The other. I know its probably for 2 different things, but what would do the most for overall ride difference?
Brian217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:12 AM   #2

Upgrades for handling

Does it have air bags? I never felt the need to upgrade shocks. Unless it was a furious crosswind I could eliminate the sway by increasing air in the bags.

I think the single best upgrade I ever made was spending the money on the Blue Ox Tru-Center steering stabilizer. It's not cheap but it does what it says it will do. The handling was a night and day difference.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:21 AM   #3

Thanks for the response. I did look at the Blue Ox also, when looking at the Safe T Plus. I did like the fact you can adjust from in the coach, but it does look a little pricier. Not having to crawl under for adjustments may be worth the extra!
Old 07-27-2014, 10:22 AM   #4

Forgot to mention in last post, yes, it does have airbags.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:49 AM   #5

Brian217 I have same issues with 3051s in cross wind you mentioned Safe T plus ? have info on this ?
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:50 AM   #6

I think either way you go, the higher end steering stabilizers make a huge difference.

If the wind is strong enough you will obviously never get rid of the top heavy feel. But before I spent the money on shocks I would play around with air pressure to see how it feels for you.

Also if you feel like the front is kind of wandering around don't rule out an alignment and tires. Mine had I wandering problem and it was just the front tires were worn a little funny and it was enough to cause the problem.

I'm sure others will have input, but in my motorhome experiences it seemed like the ford chassis was more sensitive on the alignment then the chevy.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:08 AM   #7

I did just have an alignment done. Like I said, I'm pretty happy with the way it feels most of the time. Just thinking I can improve on it. The trucks passing by are probably the biggest thing. Hopping at bridges was the other thing that comes to mind. Most of the time it feels fine, but occasionally you get one that makes you feel like you're going to launch and just has a squishy feeling in the front end. I keep the air bags in the back around 60 or 70 depending on if I'm pulling a vehicle or not. Most of the time I'm driving it feels really good, basically like I'm driving a truck. I'm also trying to get my wife to drive a little more, so I want to have it setup as good as possible. Thanks for the input so far.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:22 AM   #8

The transitions from road to bridge are getting bad all over the country! Coming back from Georgia last week we lost 2 marker lights on our dually from jaw breaking hits to the lips on bridges. Being inside a motorhome is horrible! It sounds like it's going to break in half sometimes.

If you feel the front is soft then I would say the Bilsteins or KYB's would definitely improve the situation.

Further down the road if your looking for even more upgrades you can look into some sway bar modifications.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:59 PM   #9

Best upgrade i did for myself was to get the reese dual cam hp setup. In essence it locks your tt to your tv during highway travel. I pull a 29 foot freedom express with a 2014 ram 1500. Takes a fair amount of wind to affect handling and stability. Plus living in southern alberta wind is a daily occurrence.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Metalsnake78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:27 PM   #10

Get axel weights when you are road ready with all your gear. Inflate tires to the manufactures recommended pressure, not what the FR sticker says.

I think Ford started to use larger sway bars. The front should be 1 3/8 inch diameter and the rear 1 5/8 inch diameter. If they are smaller at least consider installing the poly bushings in place of the rubber ones. Or Get over to Leaf Springs, Helper Springs and Suspension Parts | SD Truck Springs and consider replacing the sway bars. If you are a amateur wrench turner you can DYI.

Take the rig to someone who understands MH alignments, not a Ford dealer, and tell them your concerns. +5 on the castor. If you browse the forum you can find some post about alignment including one that has the specs that work.

Replace the shocks to anything other than the OEM's.

I did this to my 2860 and was the best thing for me. Never considered the steer stabilizer, I think they mask problems.
RedRollingRoadblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:45 PM   #11

As long as you covered the basics, no worn parts, tires good, and alignment correct.... I don't think the stabilizer mask anything. With my Tru-Center you can pretty much take your hands off the wheel when being passed by trucks and still stay in your lane. Plus they help keep you straight should a blow out occur. Don't see any reason why being more safe on the road and easier driving would be a problem.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:43 PM   #12

If it handles well except for trucks passing, I would say you are in good shape. You are never going to get it to stay 100% solid when a truck is passing at 70mph. You just get used to it and compensate with steering. It becomes second nature.

2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
Old 07-29-2014, 09:36 AM   #13

Rvbill, on my 2013 3170 with 7000 miles on it, would you say I wouldn't see much difference in the ride if I changed to a Bilstein shock all around?
Old 07-29-2014, 06:14 PM   #14

I can't speak to that specifically because I haven't changed shocks on mine. I'm just saying that some "Push" when a truck passes is a pretty normal condition. I have learned to anticipate what is going to happen and steer accordingly. The wedge of air pushed by a truck will push you away as it starts to pass. The lower pressure between you and the truck will pull you toward it as the truck completes passing you. Slight steering corrections will keep you going straight. Keeping about 60-70 psi in the air bags helps control sway, but will not eliminate the push of a passing truck.

IMHO the cost of changing shocks, etc., is not necessary--but others who have done it may have a more informed opinion.

2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
Old 07-29-2014, 11:54 PM   #15

Our 3170 seems to be very affected by wind. White knuckle even.
In a crosswind of anything over 20 MPH ours is like driving a sailboat without a keel. Especially when a car passes.

I've checked the usual suspects, tires, shock pressures and everything looks fine.

Ours feels more like the back end is swaying than the front but that could be because I'm busy focusing on keeping it in one lane.

In no wind it drives just fine though.

I guess it can't hurt to have a front And rear stabilizer installed?
howzball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:35 AM   #16

My 3171 was bad when I first got it, put Bilsteins and aftermarket sway bars on it. The shocks made the biggest difference, not much white knucking anymore and rarely affected by big rigs passing me. My rig was new when i got it, the factory shocks aren't designed to handle all that extra weight that's added on to the chassis, IMO.

I just installed air bags last weekend, will test it this weekend.
torino421 is offline   Reply With Quote