Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2013, 03:16 PM   #1
Sunseeker 2500TS owner

Using RV LP for portable grill?

Is there is an easy solution to using the RV LP supply for a portable grill?
I am very new at this, recently bought a FR Sunseeker 2500TS, our first motor home or RV.
Dealer I went to yesterday sold me a couple fittings to connect to the 2500TS LP supply to our Coleman roadtrip grill. I did not have the 2500TS with me, so took his word it would work. In looking at connections on the 2500TS, see no way it will work.
The fittings are a T fitting and a hose to the Coleman.
The fittings do not match up. Did I get the wrong fitting or is this not possible?
Any help is appreciated. Thank you
Emory in Maryland
ejkkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:21 PM   #2

You'll get lots of help here-people a great about that. But yes it's possible we do it all the time but DH isn't here to give specifics.
jmswms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:35 PM   #3
daydreaming about camping

There is more than one way to do this. A simple kit can be put in line at the propane bottle to do this like this one:
Camco 59103 RV Propane Brass Tee with 3 Ports and 12' Hose : Amazon.com : Automotive

Or you can T the line at a more convenient place. You probably just need to take the unit into the dealer to find which fittings you need based upon where you want the line to go.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:43 PM   #4

The problem with the Coleman Roadtrip is that the propane connection has its own regulator. There are kits you can get that would allow you to hook up to a refillable propane tank. However, this will regulate the propane flow twice and you will likely not get enough flow.

I would suggest visiting a propane distributor who specialized in propane and propane accessories who may be able to appropriately adapt from the fitting on the back of your grill to a quick disconnect.

I am guessing something such as this, then remove the regulator which looks to be threaded onto the pipe
Coleman® Replacement Camp Stove Pressure Regulator, Pipe, and Valve | Bass Pro Shops
to something like this, that will allow you to attach to your quick detach system
Amazon.com: Mr. Heater F276821 Propane or Natural Gas Male Full Flow Plug: Everything Else

Good luck
Grizzlygibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:55 PM   #5
Denver, CO

I carry a separate 10 lb tank. That I connect to my propane lantern, heater and grill, as necessary. And it's a backup for my other tanks. I did already have it so it was sitting around, no expense.

My current camper has both tanks on the drivers side and I didn't want to break into the iron pipe that runs on the curb side.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:50 PM   #6
Anacortesians

After hearing a few stories that suggested that the MH propane regulator wasn't sensitive enough for the low flow rate of a Weber Q (one poster said he couldn't get the grill temp down below 600 degrees), I decided to go with a portable bottle. I got a "squatty" 10-pound bottle that has the same base ring dimensions as the 20-pounder. I got a "base stabiliser" ring from CW and bolted it down in a cargo bay. The smaller bottle snaps into that ring very securely and I'm comfortable travelling with it there.

At least, I don't have a 15' flex hose leading to the BBQ with full MH propane bottle pressure in it.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlygibbs View Post

I would suggest visiting a propane distributor who specialized in propane and propane accessories who may be able to appropriately adapt from the fitting on the back of your grill to a quick disconnect.
Like Hank Hill?
wneise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:34 AM   #8

I ordered the grill from the factory and therefore got a quick connection for the grill also. It works fine. No problems with regulating flow. Someone certified in propane repair should be able to easily provide a connection for a grill if you don't have one.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:45 AM   #9

You ordered a Coleman Roadtrip from the factory with a quick disconnect? Or are you talking about the BBQ that comes with the trailer?

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s, PI HW30-C, Equalizer 10k 4 way hitch,
Old 05-25-2013, 03:19 PM   #10

Aussie brand grill from the factory. An OK grill but not the best, however having the factory installed connection for it was worth it.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:05 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvBill3 View Post
I ordered the grill from the factory and therefore got a quick connection for the grill also. It works fine. No problems with regulating flow. Someone certified in propane repair should be able to easily provide a connection for a grill if you don't have one.
i don't think you understand. the OP has a high-pressure Coleman Roadtrip grill that they want ot hookup to the trailer's low-pressure propane pigtail line.
what they'll have to do is hook directly to the propane tanks or do some hardware changes to their Coleman grill for it to work on low-pressure.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:18 PM   #12

Camping World & RV dealers probably, Amazon sell an Extend A Flow kit that allows you to use most gas grill with the RV system,.

The "T" connection goes in before the RVs regulator ( at the bottle) so you can use the grills original regulator . I have had for several years & was by Marshall Brass 538-00 don't know if some other company may be selling them also . Our grill is a red Coleman Road Trip.

The kit comes with a T & the line needed to screw it the small bottles threads. Been using this set up for many years........... (A little pricey as I recall) Had one for our 88 Terry also.....................

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Camping World & RV dealers probably, Amazon sell an Extend A Flow kit that allows you to use most gas grill with the RV system,.

The "T" connection goes in before the RVs regulator ( at the bottle) so you can use the grills original regulator . I have had for several years & was by Marshall Brass 538-00 don't know if some other company may be selling them also . Our grill is a red Coleman Road Trip.

The kit comes with a T & the line needed to screw it the small bottles threads. Been using this set up for many years........... (A little pricey as I recall) Had one for our 88 Terry also.....................

Good tip for sure, but I think the OP already has LP plumbed into the factory location for his "RV BBQ" but wants to modify his Coleman Roadtrip to match the RV's quick disconnect.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:35 PM   #14

Sunseeker 3010DSF main propane to grill?

Just bought a 3010DSF and am curious if there is a way to attach a portable gas grill to the main tank? I can ask the dealer but thought that this forum would be a better place to start hoping that someone out there could offer a viable solution.

Thanks
Old 03-13-2014, 11:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfshank View Post
Just bought a 3010DSF and am curious if there is a way to attach a portable gas grill to the main tank? I can ask the dealer but thought that this forum would be a better place to start hoping that someone out there could offer a viable solution.

Thanks
Is it low pressure? There should be a hookup for a low pressure grill on the right side under the trailer. I just plug in my hose, hang my grill on the side of the trailer, and light 'er up...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:09 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfshank View Post

Thanks

If the MH was ordered with the BBQ grill option, then there is a small door just to the rear of the main tank with a quick connector inside for a grill. Not sure how hard it would be to add that if it wasn't an option from the factory.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:05 PM   #17

Quote:
If the MH was ordered with the BBQ grill option, then there is a small door just to the rear of the main tank with a quick connector inside for a grill. Not sure how hard it would be to add that if it wasn't an option from the factory.
It did not come from the factory with an outside hookup so I was curious if there is a way to hook up to the main propane tank on the side of the MH. If not I may have to go the 10lb bottle route.

Thanks for your response since I know this is an old thread.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:17 PM   #18

I'm guessing there is a T in the line either at the stove or the furnace that goes to a quick connect for the grill. Can't see it without removing some of the underbelly. If you could get to the gas line, you could have a T installed just under the MH with a connector (with shut off). Since it is a gas line, I would have a professional do it. Likely any good RV shop could handle it. We use the grill often and I like the convenience of the connection to the main tank. Just remember, if your grill wasn't set up for this kind of connection, you may have to modify it a little. Most connected to a portable tank have a regulator somewhere in the connection. If connected to the main tank, there is already a regulator in the line after the tank--don't want another one at the grill.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:22 PM   #19

Quote:
I'm guessing there is a T in the line either at the stove or the furnace that goes to a quick connect for the grill. Can't see it without removing some of the underbelly. If you could get to the gas line, you could have a T installed just under the MH with a connector (with shut off). Since it is a gas line, I would have a professional do it. Likely any good RV shop could handle it. We use the grill often and I like the convenience of the connection to the main tank. Just remember, if your grill wasn't set up for this kind of connection, you may have to modify it a little. Most connected to a portable tank have a regulator somewhere in the connection. If connected to the main tank, there is already a regulator in the line after the tank--don't want another one at the grill.
Thanks for the info! I think at this point since I haven't taken delivery yet I will get with the dealer and see what they have to say. Great advice and I appreciate the response!