Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2018, 10:15 AM   #1

Using tank flush hose connection

I have a 2017 2800qs sunseeker. Next to the electrical connection on the left side of the rv , there is a water hose connection with the following warning label:

Caution
Do not use the tank flush valves unless the full way termination valve is in the open position.

May result in an unsanitary conditions leading to illness or personal injury.

What tank flush valves and where are they located?
Is this used to flush the fresh water tank, the black tank ,the grey tank or all three tanks?

Also what is and where is this full way termination valve the label mentions?

Can anyone tell me how often should this system be used and why?

Thanks
Tom C 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 10:33 AM   #2

That "Fullway Termination Valve" gets us every time. Basicaly that's your black tank dump valve. Bottom line is, the black tank dump valve must be open when the tank flush is being done.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 10:39 AM   #3

I do not have your model hopefully someone cane come along with more info.

The flush that I am familiar with is for the black tank only. They are probably talking about a back flow preventer so sewage does not go into the water hose. I have always used a back flow preventer and a separate host just to flush the black tank. The tank drain valve must also be open.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 10:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
I do not have your model hopefully someone cane come along with more info.

The flush that I am familiar with is for the black tank only. They are probably talking about a back flow preventer so sewage does not go into the water hose. I have always used a back flow preventer and a separate host just to flush the black tank. The tank drain valve must also be open.
The label refers to the black tank drain (free flow to the sewer connection) valve. If you have a factory installed black tank cleanout system your external backflow preventer is a superfluous item (one already installed) and really shouldn't be used with a factory installed cleanout system.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 11:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C 47 View Post

Caution
Do not use the tank flush valves unless the full way termination valve is in the open position.

May result in an unsanitary conditions leading to illness or personal inju

Can anyone tell me how often should this system be used and why?

Thanks
A simple explanation is .... what you are looking at is a blackwater tank flush. You should connect a non drinking water hose to it and make certain the blackwater tank dump valve is open and connected to the sewer dump. When you put water into that tank flush, it washes out your blackwater tank and flushes 'stuff' out of the tank. If you have a clear rv sewer connection on your sewer hose, you'll see the 'stuff' come out.

We use it every time we dump if the connections are available and we're not at a dump station.
Old 05-13-2018, 12:39 PM   #6

Simple, Forest River wants you to have the black tank dump valve open when you flush the black water tank. Because if you don't and overfill the tank and have a brown mess coming out of the vent stack down on your head so that they can say, if you are trying to lay blame on them,: "We warned you not to use the black tank flush system with the dump valve closed"

However this is what I do and don't do as I say . I fill up the black tank after the initial dump at least 3/4 full with water, using the black tank flush system, and then pull the handle, repeat once or twice and done - tank is clean.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 01:00 PM   #7

RV the movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
Simple, Forest River wants you to have the black tank dump valve open when you flush the black water tank. Because if you don't and overfill the tank and have a brown mess coming out of the vent stack down on your head so that they can say, if you are trying to lay blame on them,: "We warned you not to use the black tank flush system with the dump valve closed"
RV

RV, the movie, right?

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 01:06 PM   #8

I do the same as Cypressloser. If using with black tank valve closed, just don't walk away and try to do other things. Watch your tank monitor, if working. Don't fill black tank over 3/4. I have done it this way for 19 years. But safer if black water valve left open while flushing.
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 02:40 PM   #9

I took it one step farther..went to Lowe’s and picked up a brass in-line garden hose fitting with a 90 degree valve in it. Male end into flushing port, hose in female end. Close valve, close black water dump valve, turn water on for flush hose (only used for flushing!). Since my Sunseeker had the flush on the opposite side of the rig, I used that fitting valve to run water in for a couple minutes, shut it off then go around to the other side and open the black valve to drain. Cycle this way a couple times and your tank should be pretty clean...I also keep a spray bottle with my hoses filled with a water/Clorox mix and spritz all the hose ends, couplings, and park water spigots as well as the flush hose connections. Save yourself some effort and get a Y connector for the park water source so you can hook two hoses at once....one white for potable and the other for flushing hose...
Old 05-13-2018, 02:46 PM   #10
Certified Curmudgeon

Hi Tom C 47,
In addition to what all the folks said who have a 2800/2801 or stayed at a HI Express last night, you should know that you only have 1 vent on the roof. That is because your holding tanks are vented together with your sinks and shower*. If you pump water into your black tank via the flush system with the dump valve closed you MAY be able to force sewage into the rest of your plumbing via the vent without realizing it. That can’t be a good thing.
Old 05-13-2018, 02:55 PM   #11

If you don't trust your tank meters to show how full that black tank is (like me),
you can always pick up a hose end water meter like this:
https://smile.amazon.com/Rainwave-RW...ter+flow+meter

Picked a couple up to measure how much water we were putting in the rig when we were in a water/electric site.

We follow directions and leave the dump valve open.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:07 PM   #12

I believe there is a backflow valve on the flush line in my Sunseeker. I used this flush system only once and had fresh water coming out under the bathroom sink. Never used the flush system again. I bring a $10 walmat hose inside and fill through the toilet itself. No possibility of a mess as long as I'm holding the hose. Of course I have a shut off valve on the end of the hose. Also found it faster and you can see the level with a flashlight.
Old 05-13-2018, 05:09 PM   #13

I keep a black flush hose in my sewer compartment so that there is no chance of contaminating my fresh water hose (which is kept in a different compartment). There is a little spinner on the end in the black tank flush. It does a pretty good job of cleaning contaminants off of the black tank sensors. I do not clean my black tank every time I dump but will do it at the end of a road trip.
sask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:17 PM   #14
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryingToLearn View Post
I believe there is a backflow valve on the flush line in my Sunseeker. I used this flush system only once and had fresh water coming out under the bathroom sink. Never used the flush system again. I bring a $10 walmat hose inside and fill through the toilet itself. No possibility of a mess as long as I'm holding the hose. Of course I have a shut off valve on the end of the hose. Also found it faster and you can see the level with a flashlight.
Those backflow preventers are cheap and notorious for leaking, because they dry out and stick in the vent position. Sometimes a quick pulse of water helps free them up, otherwise they just cheerfully spray water on the inside of whatever cabinet they were installed in.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:32 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sask View Post
There is a little spinner on the end in the black tank flush. It does a pretty good job of cleaning contaminants off of the black tank sensors.
Is this little spinner in your unit only or do all black tank flush systems have this little spinner?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:46 PM   #16
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Is this little spinner in your unit only or do all black tank flush systems have this little spinner?
It depends which brand FR installed. The Camco “Tornado” has a nozzle that spins, others just a spray head.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:49 PM   #17
Certified Curmudgeon

Since the “flush valve” was mentioned, here us a link to more detailed info about it including where it is on the OP’s coach;
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1779415
Old 05-13-2018, 10:04 PM   #18

This works for me: I run water through the black tank with the valve open. When I see that the flow is almost through, I close the valve for several seconds, then re-open it. I do this three or four times. I find that I get more toilet paper
out this way.
Yowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:35 AM   #19

Using tank flush hose connection

I had assumed that all had a spinner but obviously not.

Mine is called “The Flusher” by B&B Molders. They make a lot of injection molded parts for the RV industry. Perhaps the Camco one is a rebranded one.

It was installed by FR when the RV was built.
sask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:56 AM   #20

TryingtoLearn I think we may have a valve on ours too because when we hook up to our flush line and turn the water on I don't know where it's going because it's not filling the black tank. We have a 2012 3100ss I have looked under the sink but I'm not seeing anything but I also don't know what I'm looking for either
aemail4sue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flush, tank