Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2014, 07:28 AM   #1

Very poor radio reception

I have a 3050s with the fender antenna and I get horrible reception. Is there a alternative to replace the antenna? Add one on the roof would seem logical but a impossible to imagine how to wire? Any thoughts?
DrJMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:17 AM   #2

I have a 2014 and the radio is the same. The biggest problem is constant scanning. I very seldom use it. I'm not sure what I'm going to do either. I think some of the problem is the front overhead. Also I don't want just anyone drilling a hole in the roof for the antenna.
Bednarski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJMB View Post
I have a 3050s with the fender antenna and I get horrible reception. Is there a alternative to replace the antenna? Add one on the roof would seem logical but a impossible to imagine how to wire? Any thoughts?

Are you talking of the dashboard radio or an I house radio? I was surprised when I went on the roof of my class C and found a radio antenna for the house radio inside.
2013leprechaun319dsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013leprechaun319dsf View Post
Are you talking of the dashboard radio or an I house radio? I was surprised when I went on the roof of my class C and found a radio antenna for the house radio inside.

Meant to say the antenna was laying down so you couldn't see it from ground level.
2013leprechaun319dsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:48 AM   #5

Yes dashboard radio. I thought there was a roof antenna but with the poor reception I doubt it is attached to dash
Old 03-11-2014, 03:06 PM   #6

Check settings. Make sure traffic notification is turned off.
Displaced2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:17 PM   #7

Yes it's off
Old 03-11-2014, 04:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013leprechaun319dsf View Post
Meant to say the antenna was laying down so you couldn't see it from ground level.

I think the antenna you saw lying down is for your outside radio. Mine was.
markangie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by markangie24 View Post
I think the antenna you saw lying down is for your outside radio. Mine was.
That would explain a lot. There could be a way to add a splitter and run to the cab radio.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:38 PM   #10

Are you referring to AM or FM reception? Class Cs are notorious for poor AM reception due to the cab-over blocking AM reception. I had FR put the antenna on the roof for me. I got the idea from the fact FR puts the Solaris antennas on the roof.
KQ2N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 03:45 PM   #11

It's both am and fm for me
Old 03-13-2014, 03:56 PM   #12
Average Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjmb View Post
it's both am and fm for me

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:05 PM   #13

I have no issues at all with AM or FM in our 2013 Chevy 2450S. My only issue is the XM which I am replacing that antenna to one on top.
markangie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:54 PM   #14

Not very good on AM & FM for me, but especially not for AM.
2014 Sunseeker chevy.
Snowman9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:58 PM   #15

I also have reception problems. I have a 2014 SunSeeker 2250SLEC, which has
a 2013 Chevy Express 4500. It has a Magnadyne Model M3-LCD Radio, which
is very fancy with the touch screen. I though I just didn't know how to use it.
Even the local FM stations are not being received that well. The antenna is on
the front right fender.
awilson2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:44 AM   #16

Make sure the local-distance switch is set properly on the radio or reception will be severely restricted. On the radio screen, look for the LOC button on the left side. Touch it and the screen will say "LOC ON" or "LOC OFF". Set it to the OFF setting. The purpose of the setting is to limit reception in highly urban areas where multiple stations may interfere with each other. In reality, it is a setting that will cause you to have generally poor reception everywhere. Don't expect miracles. There is still the issue of the antenna being blocked by the cab over area.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:36 AM   #17

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Will not receive good----------------

A radio that has AM/FM system that does not receive good is usually because a ground wire for the antenna is not hooked to the Rev's frame or ground system. One way to test your AM/FM reception for a bad ground is to select the AM reception. If you AM reception has a lot of static or does not receive AM stations good, it is a sign of poor or no grounding. Usually when the antenna is installed on the roof of a RV, the installer assumes all he/she has to do is hook up the center wire of the antenna connection. There is no ground on the roof of most RV's because of the material the roof is made of. Several ways to get a ground for your antenna, is ground the radio case with a wire connected to a case screw on the rear of the radio case to a known ground that goes all the way to the RV's frame or chassis. Usually this ground wire can be connected to the Ground for the radio's power supply ground. This wire eventually goes to the frame or chassis near the battery. This grounding will more than likely correct your poor reception on both AM/FM sides of your radio. I noticed the installers of the Forest River Rockwoods units use a very small black wire that runs from the radio case all the way down to the RV's frame. You can even use a auto antenna
even by just plugging it into the radio and placing it in the cabinet behind the radio, it does not have to be mounted. Just as long as the antenna and radio
case has a ground wire to the frame or chassis.

From 28 years of the radio business installation, this is the most common cause of bad reception of AM/FM receivers, especially in recreation units.

Good luck!
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:47 AM   #18

The antenna in question is the factory installed antenna on the chassis fender and the cable is the original GM coax. On the radio end, mine has both center conductor and shield properly connected with the (GM) factory installed connector. I haven't taken apart the fender end to inspect it. The radio is wired to the factory installed wire harness that has a ground wire in it. I think it is more a combination of the antenna being blocked by the cab over area and likely a radio (Magnadyne) that just isn't that great on AM/FM. That's why I installed the XM module and listen to it almost exclusively while traveling.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:39 AM   #19

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Bad Antenna-----------

RvBill3, You could have a bad antenna. The center conductor on the antenna, which is a very, very fine "hair" wire. Just during installation, this wire can be broken during installation. Or the plug of the antenna is not plugged in all the way into the back of the radio. A replacement AM/FM
antenna is very in-expensive. It should be about 31"-33" tall for a FM/AM antenna. Try grounding the radio chassis to the metal dash board. Most of the time the radio is mounted in a dash plastic housing, that radio itself is not grounded properly. Most of the time FM signals can be received on just a
screw driver being inserted into the antenna jack hole in the back of the radio.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:00 AM   #20

Radio works fine under some conditions. It is just the location of a fender antenna blocked by cab over that causes problems sometimes. Turning a corner can go from great radio to nearly none, then back again. Same is true (in a different way) for XM. I first put the XM antenna out as far as possible on the front of the fender (top). It works great except when you are traveling due North in northern areas like northern Michigan. Then satellite signal is blocked by cab over area. Turn slightly and it comes back. Just went with an indoor type antenna (doesn't need to be mounted to metal) and placed it in the upper bunk area (inside). So far, it is great. We'll see as the summer progresses.

I was just trying to reassure Sunseeker/Forester owners that what they are experiencing is normal for the supplied radio and fender mounted antenna. Your comments about good ground are right on. Doesn't take much to cause interference. After 25 years in video production, I've seen my share of coax cables that "looked good" but had a broken conductor or faulty shield--or a bad ground or ground loop that caused problems.

Tags
radio, reception