Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2013, 04:47 PM   #1

Volume using satellite

When we hook up our directv satellite, we get a great signal strength but the volume in so low we have to turn the TV all the way up. If the air comes on you can't hear TV well as volume is not as loud as it should be.

We have a sat inlet and utilizing the switcher that came with our 2013 3050S.

Same on front, back and outside TV's.

Anyone have an idea?
NCIC105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:44 PM   #2

What input of the tv are you using? If it's coming from the a/v amplifier your volumn is controlled by that.
litgrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:41 PM   #3

It will only work if the TV is put to channel 3

Unless I'm missing something...
We ran it to Sat in on the switcher
Old 12-22-2013, 12:31 AM   #4

You are using the satellite box - correct? I know some s-boxes have an audio control on them that you have to adjust. At least my older box did and when I powered it off I had to use the remote to run it back up.
Check too that you are in the correct input connection to the Magnadyne switch; either cable TV, AUX 1 or 2, not the antenna one - that one is amplified in the switch.

Bobby
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:55 AM   #5

I'm using one of the newer sat boxes..No volume adj....We are hooked it up to the park cable as we never use the cable....
Old 12-22-2013, 08:09 AM   #6

I complained to many folks about this exact problem. The bottom line is that this has been a known problem to Directv for several years and supposedly because the number of units in the RV world
are minimal, they choose to do nothing about it.
2015 Keystone Bullet Travel Trailer
2016 F-150 Lariat with Auto Trailer Backup
Dog = Morki (Yorkie-Maltese) - Zoe
Malabarbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malabarbob View Post
I complained to many folks about this exact problem. The bottom line is that this has been a known problem to Directv for several years and supposedly because the number of units in the RV world
are minimal, they choose to do nothing about it.
This would be more than enough reason for me to buy another system and tell everyone I know to do the same.
I would trash talk them till the sun turns blue.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCIC105 View Post
I'm using one of the newer sat boxes..No volume adj....We are hooked it up to the park cable as we never use the cable....
Try straight connection to one of your televisions. The switch box might be modulating the digital audio mix.
Also, if your s-box has RCA output, connect to the switch using the one the Magnadyne DVD plugs into (although it does modulate that input too).

I have to take my unit in for some warranty work. Mine has a faulty switch box. The rear bedroom TV selection doesn't work.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:33 AM   #9

Am I understanding, your satelite antednna output is connected to your tailer cable input? If so that could be the problem. The splitter on the antenna amp doesn't have the bandwidth for the satelite signal. Go directly to the satelite box
litgrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Can you diagram your set up? If your direcTV feed just hooks into the park cable (outside of the rig) and then from there into the switch box, from switch box to TV, there is a better way.

The best way is directly into the satellite receiver and from there use HDMI or composite cables directly to the TV you want. Then instead of turning on channel 3, it is just a different source. (AV1, HDMI 1, etc). Then you can use the audio out on the TV to feed it through the stereo. Unless if course you're talking about a bedroom TV…

In my experience, something designed to cover EVERYTHING (switch boxes and Obamacare for example) doesn't really do the best possible job for one specific situation. It's designed to be too generic.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 12:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post

The best way is directly into the satellite receiver and from there use HDMI or composite cables directly to the TV you want. Then instead of turning on channel 3, it is just a different source. (AV1, HDMI 1, etc). Then you can use the audio out on the TV to feed it through the stereo. Unless if course you're talking about a bedroom TV…
That was my thought - at least to get the best picture but I didn't mention because it seems as though he wants to be able to share the satellite signal to all of the televisions.
You can move the satellite receiver near the main television that you want to use and use the internal coax to deliver the satellite dish signal from outside to inside to the receiver. It will take some extra configuring at the switch box; splicing the coax needed off the switch box (essentially bypassing the switch box).
Old 12-22-2013, 12:39 PM   #12

We changed the cable in on the splitter to Sat in...I use the external cable hook point to attach the sat cable.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:08 PM   #13

Let me clarify this
We changed the cable "IN" on the splitter to Sat "IN"...I use the external cable hook point to attach the cable from the dish.

It runs dish to cable "IN", to sat receiver. Out of received, to sat "IN" on switch box.

Tags
satellite