Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2015, 05:00 AM   #1

Warranty work on Sunseeker

I truly love the new Sunseeker my wife and I bought, but recently we had some issues with leaks in the slides. So we need warranty work done (6 months old).

We bought our unit as a good deal from a place around 200 miles away. They beat the deal of our local dealer. So now that it's time for warranty work, you would think any Sunseeker dealer could repair. Nope. Local dealer replied and I quote "Unfortunately right now we are not doing any warranty working on units that we did not sell."

I'm shocked Forest River allows such a practice. What if I moved away 2000 miles? I have to bring the unit back to the purchased dealer? Very disappointed. Anyone else deal with this?
jjlavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:10 AM   #2

Call FR. They will put you in touch with someone who will do warranty work, including independent shops that aren't connected with sales operations. Also, generally speaking, Camping World will do work even if you didn't buy from them.

2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
Old 06-03-2015, 05:24 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjlavin View Post
I'm shocked Forest River allows such a practice. What if I moved away 2000 miles? I have to bring the unit back to the purchased dealer? Very disappointed. Anyone else deal with this?
I'm surprised that you have been a member here for some time and this practice is unknown to you.
The RV industry doesn't work like the Auto industry.
There are hundreds of posts discussing this on the Forum.
FR has very little control regarding this.
Contact your Sunseeker rep for assistance finding a dealer that will work on it.
Or they can authorize an independent shop to work on it.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:12 AM   #4

I purchased out of aera, fortunate to live in Atlanta with several different RV service options.

1st year, did need some warranty work (minor adjustments & rear view camera that died), and with clear direct communications with FR, they approved a (non-selling) service provider in my aera.

Actually, re-imbursed the waranty work to me, (although dealer was willing to bill FR). FR worked well with us.

My Sunseeker warranty empoyee contacat was "Mike Jankowski" mjankowski@forestriverinc.com. May or may not still be the Sunseeker contact.

In general RV dealers, do have the option of refusing warranty work on units they did not sell. Both a sales tactic and business desicion (they make more from non-warranty work, so if they are busy, may choose to not to prioritize or take on non-sold warranty work).

Research options in aera, sometimes there are service centers, that do service work, but do not sell units, willing to take the work.

Good luck!

Markiemark
Markiemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:26 AM   #5

Yes, Mike Jankowski is the man.
Kevin & Judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:50 AM   #6

Sounds good! I will reach out
jjlavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:25 AM   #7

Even if the dealership works on it they won't take the time needed to repair correctly Forest River don't pay very much for warranty work I have a repair facility where I live that won't do warranty work on FR because of pay i think FR is the only company that they won't do warranty work on

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 06-03-2015, 11:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjlavin View Post
I truly love the new Sunseeker my wife and I bought, but recently we had some issues with leaks in the slides. So we need warranty work done (6 months old).

We bought our unit as a good deal from a place around 200 miles away. They beat the deal of our local dealer. So now that it's time for warranty work, you would think any Sunseeker dealer could repair. Nope. Local dealer replied and I quote "Unfortunately right now we are not doing any warranty working on units that we did not sell."

Do not be shocked with that,
when I look for warranty repair one
dealer in CA told me that the city
do not allowed them to repair RV
purchased in other state or other
dealer than dealer in that city.
No COMMENTS on that "city rules"
BTW my experience are, some
manufacturers do not want to pay
warranty repair or pay far less than
rate are, reason for that is evident.
After I talk with factory and suggested
to bring the RV to them for repair
and pay all expenses they told me
"That will cost us to much" and after
they find me service 125 miles far
and repair only part of issues from
the approved list.
Wish you the best ...
Prism 24G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:31 AM   #9

We live in Southern Michigan and have dealt with Mike Jankowski several times,,,
He has taken very good care of us,,, with out him I am not sure I would ever buy another F R product ??? I hear they do a lot of service @ the FROG Rally !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 02:51 PM   #10

When deciding where to purchase
It states right on the FR web site,in NO uncertain terms,that FR discourages the purchase of an RV anywhere other than the local dealer
Warranty work could not be guaranteed at the local dealer if not purchased there,and some other stuff about supporting the network of local dealers.
Though I don't agree with this practice (cause in America it is a free free market place) if FR is going to back this unfair practice then they should have a no haggle set factory price
I got lucky cause my local dealer dealt with me but there are a lot of people out there that either paid too much or now are screwed for the inevitable warranty work that these units need
PS I have an extended warranty
'93 Coleman pop ups (I'm Dad)
'04 Fleetwood Jamboree 26q
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
trdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 03:31 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdutch View Post
When deciding where to purchase
It states right on the FR web site,in NO uncertain terms,that FR discourages the purchase of an RV anywhere other than the local dealer
Warranty work could not be guaranteed at the local dealer if not purchased there,and some other stuff about supporting the network of local dealers.
I believe that it's also stated in the brochures.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 04:43 PM   #12

How do you get an extended warranty? Where? How much?
Old 06-05-2015, 05:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering View Post
How do you get an extended warranty? Where? How much?

I got mine through Good Sam
We were already members and I compared to what the dealer offered and it was cheaper and low rates lock in when new if you want to keep extending down the road
Give em a call
'93 Coleman pop ups (I'm Dad)
'04 Fleetwood Jamboree 26q
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
trdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 06:20 AM   #14

In our case our local dealer does not stock any new MH's,,, we had bought a TT from them in the past so we know them quite well,,, so we ended up going about 60 west where they had just what we thought we were looking for !!! The dealer we bought from will always tell us to bring it in,,, drop it off and we will get to it as soon as we can !!! We did not buy a MH so it could set on the lot for days waiting to be fixed,,, I BIG Thanks to Mike Jankowski for letting us make an appointment and take it to the factory for repair !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sunseeker, warranty