Old 06-04-2011, 11:21 AM   #1
washing the motorhome

I took my new Sunseeker 2300 out for its maiden voyage over Memorial Day weekend. I traveled from Fayetteville NC to NH & Maine and back. I collected all kinds of bug splatters along the way. I was just outside trying to clean them. Where I could reach, I scrubbed them off, but I still have lots up high on the cab-over that I cannot get to. What is the best way to clean this area? I tried a step ladder, but couldn't get it in the right place for the overhang. The hood of the engine slants so I didn't trust attempting to stand on it.

I was thinking there must be some kind of extension armed contraption that will reach and scrub. I tried my Swiffer but it only has the soft pads and didn't remove the bugs.

First RV was a 1968 Nimrod popup
Second RV is a 2012 Sunseeker 2300
nights camped 2011: 42
nights camped 2012: 48
nights camped 2013: 40
janegraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:35 AM   #2

The safest way would be two stepladders, one each side of the MH, with the steps facing each other, and then a painter's plank across between them, on the step that would give you the right height to work from.

Also, use a spray nozzle on your hose that can pick up some detergent (like a weed & feed bottle) and give the bugs a good soaking. They loosen up considerably when re-hydrated.

Frank and Eileen
No longer RVers or FR owners
F and E Damp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:17 AM   #3
I open the hood of the engine bay, lay a folded towel over the top of the radiator cover/grill to protect it and, wearing soft sole shoes, use a small ladder climb up onto the front of the engine compartment. From there I can get to almost everything with a cloth or short handle washing brush.
jgrant911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:13 AM   #4
I find the easiest way is to pay the kid (16 yo) down the street to come climb up and down the ladder and wash it. That is a lot easier on my back and joints.
jaxfl is offline   Reply With Quote